Bounced messaged not appearing in mail account

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

Bounced messaged not appearing in mail account

Postby pmallet » 5:07pm, Tue 02 Apr, 2013

I am having trouble getting the bounce handling function to work. I have set up a test list with bogus email accounts, but for some reason messages sent to this list do not result in any information being delivered to my listbounces account.

I set up a separate e-mail account called listbounces@sonasfn.org. This account is functional (messages sent there appear in the in box). Any ideas what might be going wrong? In case it is relevant, I am running phpList version 2.10.19 and my PHP installation settings can be viewed at http://www.sonasfn.org/phpinfo.php

Below is my phpconfig.php code:

Code: Select all
$message_envelope = 'listbounces@sonasfn.org';

# Handling bounces. Check README.bounces for more info
# This can be 'pop' or 'mbox'
$bounce_protocol = 'pop';

# set this to 0, if you set up a cron to download bounces regularly by using the
# commandline option. If this is 0, users cannot run the page from the web
# frontend. Read README.commandline to find out how to set it up on the
# commandline
define ("MANUALLY_PROCESS_BOUNCES",1);

# when the protocol is pop, specify these three
$bounce_mailbox_host = 'pop.gmail.com';
$bounce_mailbox_user = 'listbounces@sonasfn.org';
$bounce_mailbox_password = '**********';
pmallet
phpLister

Re: Bounced messaged not appearing in mail account

Postby JacobN » 6:55pm, Tue 02 Apr, 2013

Hello pmallet,

I set up a separate e-mail account called listbounces@sonasfn.org. This account is functional (messages sent there appear in the in box).

Are you saying that you also actually see the bounce-back messages there, and they just aren't able to import into phpList?

I have written a guide on handling bounces with phpList, and in the 2nd section Process bounces in phpLis it goes over how to import your bounce-back messages into phpList.

However, if your listbounces@sonasfn.org account isn't actually getting any bounce-back messages delivered to it, then phpList wouldn't be able to import any.

I see you have the following setting for your mail server:

$bounce_mailbox_host = 'pop.gmail.com';

Gmail doesn't accept normal POP3 connections over port 110, and instead requires an encrypted SSL connection. It looks like this forum post about Gmail and phpList should probably work for you.

Looks like this needs to change:

/config/config.php

$bounce_mailbox_port = "995/pop3/ssl";

/admin/processbounces.php

#if (!$port) {
  $port = '995/pop3/ssl';
  #}

However this is all only going to work if you're actually getting bounce-back messages delivered to that account in the first place. If you are not, it could be that you have PHP safe_mode enabled which can cause the correct mail headers from not being added to your message.

Let me know if any of that helps out.

- Jacob
JacobN
PL Nut

Postby JacobN » 7:44pm, Tue 02 Apr, 2013

Hello pmallet,

I figured other people might have a similar issue with Gmail, so I went ahead and wrote up an article on process bounces from Gmail in phpList that should be pretty easy to follow.

I also went ahead and tested these settings out myself, just to 100% verify that they do in fact work.

Let me know if you're still having any issues.

- Jacob
JacobN
PL Nut

Postby pmallet » 11:39am, Wed 03 Apr, 2013

Thanks for your help. Just to be clear, bounce-back messages are NOT being delivered. So I have no idea what is bouncing. I am indeed running with PHP safe mode turned off (see http://www.sonasfn.org/phpinfo.php for my PHP settings). Any other ideas why bounce-backs are not being reported?
pmallet
phpLister

Return to Question & Problems - after installing