500 Server Error

Start here! No need to ask twice :)

Re: 500 Server Error

Postby jessieswiss » 2:05pm, Tue 04 May, 2010

I'm got a 500 server error, looking help here... reading all info here, hope can help.. let's me try 1st... thanks
jessieswiss
phpList newbie

Postby Heritage » 2:57pm, Tue 04 May, 2010

k... if you get stumped . . . give us your server specs or hosting plan info so we can lead you down the right path.

May be your hosting plan does not do PHP or your .htaccess did not get uploaded correctly if your on a Mac and do not have dot/hidden files turned on or even a CMOD file issue.

Make sure you not uploading the PHP files as binary. They are ASCII.

Let us know. All the issues above are here explained in the forum.
Heritage

Postby vo2 » 6:33pm, Tue 04 May, 2010

thank god (or the admins) for forum posts :)
I had the same problem and this thread helped me.
oh, and thanks google for finding this. hahaha
vo2
phpList newbie

Postby jmoltgen13 » 11:40pm, Fri 07 May, 2010

me too, I get that message..
jmoltgen13
phpList newbie

Postby jbrydon » 3:22am, Sat 08 May, 2010

I was getting the 500 server error but after reading these forum posts I found my answer, thanks
jbrydon
phpList newbie

Postby HCWorks » 10:38pm, Thu 20 May, 2010

Hi everyone - after trying to get this installed and practically pulling my hair out with deleting, re uploading and following all installation steps and then all troubleshooting steps for a 500 Internal Server Error a dozen times, but still getting the ubiquitous 500 error, I found a solution. Somewhere, in my desperate reading of all potentially related posts I happened to see a mention of binary versus ASCII ftp uploads. So I checked my ftp program (FireFTP) and sure enough, in the Tools>Options>Downloads/Uploads section, Binary was selected. ASCII was an option, as was Automatic. Figuring Automatic ought to be the least trouble overall, I selected that. Deleted the lists folder on the server yet again, and re uploaded. I had already taken out the magic quotes line in the .htaccess file, and created a php.ini file with that line, so I assume those steps were necessary also; I checked the permissions, and finally, finally, it seems to have uploaded completely correctly, and I am now in the middle of the setup. But I wanted to make sure this was posted somewhere that could help someone spend less than the 2 days it's taken me to even get it started.

Perhaps it could be added to the Quick start Installation guide under the 500 error solutions: Make sure your FTP program is not set to Binary only!

Hoping that helps someone.
HCWorks
phpList newbie

Postby HCWorks » 10:44pm, Thu 20 May, 2010

Oh and I also noticed that the index.php file in the admin folder (lists/admin/index.php) is missing the final ?> from the end of the file (the file included in the .zip package of phplist-2.10.12) so I added it in; this could be the cause of some of the blank page errors people are getting also.
HCWorks
phpList newbie

Postby GazOutEast » 7:35am, Thu 07 Oct, 2010

[quote="HCWorks"]Oh and I also noticed that the index.php file in the admin folder (lists/admin/index.php) is missing the final ?> from the end of the file (the file included in the .zip package of phplist-2.10.12) so I added it in; this could be the cause of some of the blank page errors people are getting also.[/quote]

I've checked on my hard drive archives - that ?> has been missing as far back as 2.10.5

It may be intentional - perhaps the pager system adds the closing tag from a subsidiary grabbed page according to the function in use from the admin menu? Dunno.

The only Server error I'm getting right now is that clicking processqueue results in a long page load time then the Server error (un-numbered) - leaving it alone for about 10 minutes shows in event log that the send batch did go. Trying to click page refresh stalls the batch send and appends an event log item that the system is pausing for 20 seconds, and a warning that a process is already running.

That one is driving me completely crazy, because after that first batch, no more batches go, no matter how many days I leave the window open. But after the batch, if I close it, then reopen it an hour later, another repeat of the above happens, but the new batch does get sent. I'm working with the hosts on the path that it's server-side timeout frequencies at the root of it.
GazOutEast
PL Geek

Postby blackstonetech » 2:02pm, Fri 06 May, 2011

What is actually mean by the numbers attached with errors like 500, 302 or 404. I am not a technical person but i am always curious about such type of errors
blackstonetech
phpList newbie

Postby Dragonrider » 5:25pm, Fri 06 May, 2011

blackstonetech wrote:What is actually mean by the numbers attached with errors like 500, 302 or 404. I am not a technical person but i am always curious about such type of errors

Here's a link to a list of Error codes you may come across in HTML/websites

The ones you specifically ask about are:

500 - Server Error - Usually down to an error in the code on the page you are trying to visit.
302 - Moved Temporarily - This applies when redirecting a visitor to your site to a different page, if it's a permanent move, the code is 301.
404 - Page not found. You can trap many of these via your .htaccess file using ErrorDocument xxx http://domain.com where xxx is the error code. Don't do it for 500 or 301/302 errors though! :-)
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
Latest phpList version is now 3.0.8 (10 September 2014) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Postby teknoboy » 6:50am, Tue 30 Aug, 2011

I know this is an old topic, but I have a 500 Server Error and I can't see the solution here. Actually I think I know what's causing it, just don't know how to fix it.

PHP List. 2.10.14
PHP Version 5
Shared hosting (1and1)
Linyx hosting (not sure what distro/version)

I have successfully installed PHP list, no errors. I try to go into configure (page=configure) and make a change by clicking "edit" next to a setting. After I make a change and click "save changes" I get a 500 server error. The change is however made correctly because when I go back to "configure" I can see it has changed.

As I am just starting (and first PHP Lists install) I can image this will cause other problems later.

I think the problem is cause by the way I have to host it. I have shared hosting with a Joomla install in a folder. The folder is linked to a domain, so if you go to the domain you go inside the folder. This means, the only way to visit PHPlists is to put it in a folder within the folder which contains the Joomla install, so I can go to www.mydomain.com/list to get to it.

Ok. but, the Joomla install has a .htaccess and I think that inherited settings from Joomla install are affecting it. I tried making the proposed changes to comment out magic quotes in .htaccess (it wasn't there anyway). If I put and empty .htaccess file in the root for phplists then I only get the server error and cant see any pages at all. I definately think it's in the .htaccess file but I have little knowledge of such things.

Gratefull for any help.
teknoboy
phpList newbie

Postby Dragonrider » 10:11am, Tue 30 Aug, 2011

phpList works perfectly with Joomla, I speak from experience as all my phpList installs are as part of a Joomla site, 1.0.x ot 1.5.x

The lists/.htaccess file is the one you need to adjust, not the Joomla one.

If you want someone to have a look at your site, we are more than willing to do so, in the first place, let us know of the url, or if you prefer, you can PM me with the address.
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
Latest phpList version is now 3.0.8 (10 September 2014) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Postby teknoboy » 6:33am, Wed 31 Aug, 2011

Thanks Dragonrider you helped me solve it.

Here is my experience in case it helps others.

1st, PHPlist does indeed coexist well with Joomla. I thought maybe the .htaccess from Joomla might have created problems in subdirectories but I was wrong. My Server 500 error was caused by incorrectly setup default values in config.php.

When I installed PHPlist, I made a directory called: /phplist I uploaded all the files to this directory and went through the install process without any errors. While using PHPlist for the first time I discovoured a server 500 error after editing entries on the configuration page. Everytime I went to save after editing an entry, I got the 500 error.

It turns out the although I followed the instructions to the letter PHPList set the following defaults: $pageroot = '/lists'; and $adminpages = '/lists';

I changed the settings in config.php (which is in /yourPHPlistdirectory/config) to the correct path were PHPlist was installed and it worked. No more error.

All I can say is if you have this error remember to find the config.php file in the config folder, edit it and check that the valuse for $pageroot and $adminpages are the same as the folder you install PHPlist into.
teknoboy
phpList newbie

Postby gurubgp1 » 7:06am, Fri 17 Feb, 2012

I am getting : Internal Server Error, when I want to send mail using a list, which is having 200 users.

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at iitmaa.org Port 80

Please help me so that I can overcome of this problem
gurubgp1
phpList newbie

Postby french2080 » 8:48pm, Wed 07 Mar, 2012

Teken Boy....I assume you have the new Street Fighter vs Teken that came out....anyway..

I surely think this the error that most have been getting because the folders they made to install the list is a different name. Thanks for the heads up. Can anyone confirm as well?? I read most of the threads here and it seem there where people doing and correcting different things. I will try to install and report my experience.

Regards,
Chad Buie
Webmaster
Jax, FL USA
french2080
phpList newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently Asked Questions