Sending one message but it send two messages ?

Solutions for other phpList users

Sending one message but it send two messages ?

Postby somdara » 5:25pm, Fri 15 Mar, 2013

Hello guy, I'm a new one in PHPList. My main problem is while I send email to my subscriber it show until two messages in my subscriber inbox. What is my problem ? Please, admin help me with this problem ? :wink: :(

Thanks in advance.
somdara
phpLister

Re: Sending one message but it send two messages ?

Postby JacobN » 5:41pm, Fri 15 Mar, 2013

Hello somdara,

How are you attempting to send your message out currently?

Are you trying to send a test message in phpList?

I believe it's going to send out 2 emails, one in text, and one in HTML while testing. When you're actually delivering out to a mailing list, it should only be sending the one that your subscriber has choosen.

If you pop open your phpList config.php file, you should see this section you can edit to disable this test message behavior:

Code: Select all
# test emails
# if you send a test email, phplist will by default send you two emails, one in HTML format
# and the other in Text format. If you set this to 1, you can override this behaviour
# and only have a test email sent to you that matches the user record of the user that the
# test emails are sent to
define('SEND_ONE_TESTMAIL',0);

So you'd end up just changing that to:

Code: Select all
define('SEND_ONE_TESTMAIL',1);

If you only wanted the 1 test email sent out instead of 2. If you weren't having this issue while sending a test message, and instead had it happen when sending to a normal mailing list, I would recommend ensuring that the subscriber's email address isn't accidentally added to the list more than once.

Let me know if that helped at all.

- Jacob
JacobN
PL Nut

Postby somdara » 5:54pm, Fri 15 Mar, 2013

:D Thanks for your reply to my problem. I have two list in my php list. one for test and one for my subscriber. And I've been add my own testing email in two both lists is that the problem.
somdara
phpLister

Postby somdara » 5:57pm, Fri 15 Mar, 2013

One More problem is how can I change all my subscriber to recieve HTML format.?

Thanks in advance.
somdara
phpLister

Postby JacobN » 9:36pm, Fri 15 Mar, 2013

Hello somdara,

No problem at all. If you're adding your own testing email address to both lists, and sending a message to both lists at the same time, phpList should only be sending out 1 copy of the message.

In order to change a subscriber to receive HTML format mails, either when you're at send a message > [Format] tab you can directly specify HTML which should send that message in that selected format to all users.

Or you can also go to manage users > reconcile users and then click on mark all users to receive html if you'd like to have all of your users get HTML mails.

If you wanted to do it for individual users, click on users, type the user's email address in the find box and hit Go. Then click on the user's email address, and in the field for Send this user HTML emails put a 1.

I'm not sure what else might be causing your duplicate emails going out, do you have access to your mail logs so that you can see what phpList is attempting to do exactly as it's sending?

- Jacob
JacobN
PL Nut

Postby somdara » 1:16am, Sat 16 Mar, 2013

Thanks you bro. You help me alot with this thing. I've send email to my subscribers about 10000 Emails address. It just take time only 30 minutes is finish. Does it delivery to all user in my list ? and how can I use [USERTRACK] in my message.

Thanks !
somdara
phpLister

Postby JacobN » 6:37pm, Wed 20 Mar, 2013

Hello somdara,

No problem at all. Depending on what you have your PHPList rate limiting set to will determine if you'd be able to send out to all 10,000 subscribers in a 30 minute window. At that rate, that would be about 333 per minute, or about 5.5 messages a second.

More than likely you'd want to be on your own dedicated server, or at least a virtual private server to be able to handle that kind of mail volume in such a short period of time.

In order to use the [USERTRACK] functionality to track your users, you must be sending the messages in HTML format. For full information check out the phplist Documentation : MessageTracking page.

Hope that helps!

- Jacob
JacobN
PL Nut

Postby somdara » 1:59am, Sat 23 Mar, 2013

Hi Bro

I'm currently on a sharing hosting and I can contact to my web hosting they said that I can send only 250 Email Per hours. How can I set my phplist in to 250 Email per hours.
One more thing is does I have to queue my sending message or not ?

Thanks in advance
somdara
phpLister

Postby JacobN » 10:25pm, Wed 27 Mar, 2013

Hello somdara,

Sorry for the delayed response. You can rate-limit your messages being sent with phpList on a shared-server. I actually have an article on this called rate limit the sending of messages in phpList.

When you click Send Message to the Selected Mailinglists in the admin it will queue the message for delivery. Then you have to click on process the message queue to get it to actually start sending out your messages.

Hope that helps!

- Jacob
JacobN
PL Nut

Return to Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks