Bounce handlng using IMAP

Questions about phpList features (the answer is probably 'Yes!')
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

Bounce handlng using IMAP

Postby Rob1 » 4:56pm, Wed 05 Dec, 2012

The bounce handling only supports POP and MBOX.
How difficult would it be to add IMAP support?
Considering that the PHP library already supports IMAP, is there a lot of code to change in phpList?
Rob1
phpLister

Re: Bounce handlng using IMAP

Postby duncanc » 8:38pm, Fri 07 Dec, 2012

I'd guess that the changes would not be great, see file admin/processbounces.php.

But your mail server may well support POP as well as IMAP. My hosting account supports both and services such as gmail do so as well.
duncanc

Postby Rob1 » 8:12pm, Sat 08 Dec, 2012

duncanc wrote:I'd guess that the changes would not be great, see file admin/processbounces.php.

But your mail server may well support POP as well as IMAP. My hosting account supports both and services such as gmail do so as well.

It is our internal mailserver and I purposely have turned off POP because sometimes people try to configure their mail client themselves, they use the default protocol POP3 in their client and they gobble up all the mail in the mailbox.
So IMAP is the only available protocol to prevent mishaps.

In the processbounces file I see this:

$link=imap_open("{".$server.":".$port."}INBOX",$user,$password);

I see no specification of the protocol there other than the $port which is 110/pop3/notls by default.
Does this mean that all I have to change is to set the port to 143/imap/notls and leave the protocol
set to 'pop''?
Rob1
phpLister

Postby duncanc » 8:53am, Sun 09 Dec, 2012

No need to use the /imap flag as that is the default. So this value in your config file should work, but you might need to play around with the tls flag:
Code: Select all
$bounce_mailbox_port = "143/notls";
duncanc

Postby Rob1 » 3:02pm, Mon 10 Dec, 2012

duncanc wrote:No need to use the /imap flag as that is the default. So this value in your config file should work, but you might need to play around with the tls flag:
Code: Select all
$bounce_mailbox_port = "143/notls";

Ok, it appears to work fine. I.e. it has downloaded 3 messages from the box I had created (and sent a few testmails to), put them in the database and deleted them from the INBOX.
Not actual bounces, because I did not test with an actual mailing yet.

So probably it is just a documentation issue. phpList can use IMAP without codechange, just config change.
Rob1
phpLister

Return to Does phpList do this?