How does URL Cache work?

Questions about phpList features (the answer is probably 'Yes!')
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

How does URL Cache work?

Postby leejamieson » 12:32pm, Thu 14 Feb, 2013

Hi All,

I'm now using [URL=http://...] in my mailings and think this is a great feature. My question is does PHPList send the same url cached content for the entire mailing?

I have 18k subscribers to my list going out in batches of 400, so it takes a few days to send each newsletter to mail out. This grabs content from a specific URL on my website with recently updated posts.

Do all 18k subscribers get the same content cached at the start of the mailing, or does PHP refresh this?

cheers,
Lee
leejamieson
phpList newbie

Re: How does URL Cache work?

Postby duncanc » 12:44pm, Thu 14 Feb, 2013

There is a section in the config.php file that explains how this works.
duncanc

Postby leejamieson » 1:06pm, Thu 14 Feb, 2013

Found it - thanks Duncanc!

# send a webpage. You can send the contents of a webpage, by adding
# [URL:http://website/file.html] as the content of a message. This can also be personalised
# for users by using eg
# [URL:http://website/file.html?email=[email]]
# the timeout for refetching a URL can be defined here. When the last time a URL has been
# fetched exceeds this time, the URL will be refetched. This is in seconds, 3600 is an hour
# this only affects sending within the same "process queue". If a new process queue is started
# the URL will be fetched the first time anyway. Therefore this is only useful is processing
# your queue takes longer than the time identified here.
define('REMOTE_URL_REFETCH_TIMEOUT',3600);

Seems straightforward ... My list drips out over 3 days, so I need to work out how may seconds are in 3 days (Gulp!!). Could I just comment this line out to stop the refresh altogether? Would this still refresh the URL when I queue a new newsletter pulled from the same URL?

Cheers,
Lee
leejamieson
phpList newbie

Postby duncanc » 3:21pm, Thu 14 Feb, 2013

if a new process queue is started the URL will be fetched the first time anyway

By increasing that value to be greater than the elapsed time for a batch you can ensure that the page is not refreshed within the batch, but phplist will pull the page again at the start of the next batch.

I don't think that you can force each subscriber to get the same content using this method.
duncanc

Return to Does phpList do this?