Need a php programmer to fix a throttle problem

Find a developer, service provider, or even a job!

Need a php programmer to fix a throttle problem

Postby flowpena » 5:24pm, Thu 04 Aug, 2011

Hi

have 2 php installed on my 2 dif servers
in one of them, all was cool but now its taking 10h +- to send like 1000emails, and before was like sending 225 emails per 15m, (since my hosting limits 900emails per hour and now 750emails per hour)

need help to fix the throttle, batch send since my programmer is unavailable
best
joao

flowpena@hotmail.com
flowpena
phpLister

Re: Need a php programmer to fix a throttle problem

Postby backslash » 1:17am, Sun 28 Aug, 2011

In your configure file, located in (your phplist folder)/config/config.php

Look around line 313
Code: Select all
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_SIZE",0);

Where the 0 (or whatever number your programmer has made this number, put the desire number of emails that your server will allow. My server is on lunarpages and they only allow 400 emails total per hour (send and receive), so I put the number 365 (in case I get bouncebacks or someone is sending or receiving mail in the office during the list processing.
If you do not have limits on the amount of emails that you can send in an hour, set this to 0 and it will put a no limit to the amount of emails that it will blast out.

Around line 317 look for
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD",3600);

This is saying that after you send the batch size number that you put in MAILQUEUE_BATCH_SIZE (in my case 365 emails), the system will wait one hour or 3600 seconds before it sends the next batch size.

Look around line 324
Code: Select all
define('MAILQUEUE_THROTTLE',0);

I used to put a 1 to 15 number here. This slowed down how many emails that would be sent at a time. In the example above, if I have 365 emails being sent an hour, and mailqueue_throttle set to 15, this would mean that 1 email would be sent, 15 seconds would pass and then the next email would be sent.
I have found that if I set this to 0, 365 emails are sent immediately, and the last time I processed emails, 365 emails sent out in about 7 seconds total.
This is where you might want to look to see how your programmer set this up. If you have a heavy load of emails being sent off of your server, like in an office situation, maybe your programmer added numbers here so that it wouldn't put a heavy load on your server. It the number is higher than 1, try to lower the number and see what happens.

Do a search for throttle in phplist forums. There are actually a lot of recommended ways to handle throttle including using scripts and cron jobs.
backslash
phpList newbie

Re: Need a php programmer to fix a throttle problem

Postby flowpena » 10:12am, Fri 16 Sep, 2011

thanks for this.

i know my programmer has all that setted up and configured plus a cron job...but seems like its not working properly...
i will recheck

thanks for the jelp
flowpena
phpLister

Return to Work & Commercial Projects