Abandoning PHP list

Discussion about the phpList community

Abandoning PHP list

Postby gaywest » 8:23pm, Tue 12 Aug, 2008

We (Gay West Community Network Inc a not-for-profit performing art centre in Toronto Ontario, Canada) have decide to stop using PHPList, we are currently using 2.10.5 we have been using PHPList for the last 4 years. But this version is just to buggy.

Some times the newsletter goes out to 1000 people in seconds other times it takes 188 hours (honestly no kidding), sometimes, half goes out half doesn't.

I've noted while watching the reports that come in every time I send a message that many messages aren't being sent on the first round, and that I'm not getting any follow up reports about further attempts at sending the remainder. I was uncomfortable with the program not working properly on the PHP5 environment, actually had to hack the database to get it to work. Then there were those weird emails about blacklisted recipients a couple months ago. So we are forced to find another solution.

We've been trying to test other scripts but just haven't had much time. Did find one that does the job, but it's awfully simple. It's actually called Simple Mailing List. Another I found isn't free, is awesome, but charges something like 150 to 200 USD per license.

so that's the dilemma we are in any one with any ideas
gaywest
phpLister

Re: Abandoning PHP list

Postby Ernesto » 2:21pm, Wed 13 Aug, 2008

gaywest wrote:Some times the newsletter goes out to 1000 people in seconds other times it takes 188 hours (honestly no kidding), sometimes, half goes out half doesn't.
I doubt that very much, as the message sending summary reports of phplist can be somewhat confusing. For an explanation, see http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?p=51909#51909

Anyway, you'll find a listing of alternative mailing list managers here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic ... t#See_also
Search first, Ask questions later...
Ernesto
PL Freak!

Postby Guest » 9:37pm, Wed 13 Aug, 2008

I would check with your service provider before abandoning hope.

Chances are, the problems with sending are due to your Server/Host limiting the amount of e-mail that goes out (in an attempt to combat spam), not problems with PHPList.

I was having this problem with outgoing messages, contacted my service provider and had them bump up the limit on my outgoing mail, and the problem was solved.

Hope this helps!

Postby Guest » 2:47pm, Fri 22 Aug, 2008

Not really that confusing. Most host providers (at least the larger ones) put a limit on the number of e-mails your mailserver will put out per hour.

Postby gaywest » 8:15am, Fri 16 Oct, 2009

Friday October 16, 2009 3:50 am EST

Gay Community Network In. (Queer West) did find a suitable replacement for PHPList which we have been using for about 7 years. Your software was constantly being update and we got tons of errors trying to load the newest updates. We switch to PoMMo no errors loading it, piece of cake, We saw an online demo and instantly loved it and went for it. Dumb, I know, but I think I trust my instincts with this one. We loaded old mailing list, no problem. We are sure there are loyal PHPlist users that will continue stick with your software. PoMMo is right software for us to use, and we are thrilled, that's bottom line for us. It has more features than PHPlist. We could never get the bounces to work. Now we can. There is an interesting way of checking to see how many of our html emails are being read. I won't bore you with rest. Its been a eBlast.... PHP for 7 years. TTFN

Gay West Community Network Inc.(Queer West)
A not-for-profit performing Arts Centre
Executive Director, Interim President: Michael F. Paré
Toronto ON Canada
gaywest
phpLister

Postby Slimey » 10:04am, Tue 20 Oct, 2009

lol that last post looks suspiciously like someone from PoMMo trying to big up thier own software.
Slimey
PL Nut

Postby deafdavid » 4:57pm, Sat 24 Oct, 2009

Looking at PoMMo website, very limited information. Last upgrade was in spring 2008. Didn't say what upgrade features were included. I noticed some questions were posted but got no reply. And it didn't say who involved in PoMMO development.
deafdavid
PL Nut

Postby gaywest » 6:07pm, Tue 27 Oct, 2009

I thought I would come back one last time for closure. Maybe I went bit overboard on all the features. It doesn't have a lot, what it does have works, to our advantage. It was easy to setup, runs fine, that's why we like it. PHPList Forum will have loyal friends and cliques that will stick with your software.

I thought I left a reasonably nice goodbye. Shame on you for suggesting otherwise that we were employees of Pommo.

Gaywest aka queerwest.org
Michael F. Pare'
gaywest
phpLister

Return to Community