phplist 2.10.10 with yahoo small business hosting

Discussion about the phpList community

phplist 2.10.10 with yahoo small business hosting

Postby hassansr » 2:31pm, Tue 11 Aug, 2009

I was able to successfully setup phplist 2.10.10 on my yahoo hosted account. I would likeot be able to setup cron jobs for batches. Has anyone been able to successfully do this in yahoo servers? If yes, please show all scripts

If no, please let me know of a good cheap hosting service that phplist will work well on with the cron functioning properly. I send out about 5000 messages a week

Thanks
hassansr
PL Nut

Re: phplist 2.10.10 with yahoo small business hosting

Postby Heritage » 3:46pm, Wed 02 Sep, 2009

A work around is to set a PHP page and have it re login and start your batches every time period.

I find this is more control than just having crons running and not know if they are working.

Also note you have to use a separate login or browser version if your running this. Since logging back into the PHPlist while this is running requires a unique instance of your exe or app. Hence run it in mozilla or some alternate browser so you can still login with the same workstation.

This way you can see what is going on live and still have automation.

Code: Select all
<?php
header("HTTP/1.1 200 OK");
header("referer: http://www.REPLACE.com");
header("Refresh: 7200;");
?>
Process running every 2 hours to send mail . . .   last run started on:

<?php print date("D M d Y h:i:s A T", time()); ?>
<br>
<br>
<IFRAME SRC="http://www.REPLACE.com/lists/admin/?page=processqueue&login=admin&password=phplist" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0" WIDTH="1000" HEIGHT="2800">
</IFRAME>

Of course use your domain and password.

Works great for any process where you do not want to babysit, but at the same time see what is going on.

You may want to play your URL refresh under the config/config.php if you want a process to run faster than every hour. Unless your process is known to be short and you just want to use the above script to login and start over per what ever time period you want.

Note change the header refresh to what ever time you want. The current code above is set to every two hours. Some batches take an hour and starting every two hours is a safe margin. As you queue gets smaller you can increase this time to make things more frequent.

Word of advise . . . make this page:

Code: Select all
<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">

You really do not want your password out there on the net.

Hope this gives you options. I have never tried Yahoo, but people say it is great.
Heritage

Re: phplist 2.10.10 with yahoo small business hosting

Postby hassansr » 2:58am, Thu 03 Sep, 2009

Came up with this little work around for yahoo hosting. I use a mac, which uses a program named safari as the browser. Using its apple script editor I created this:

tell application "Safari"
activate
open location "http://www.mysite.com/phplist/public_html/lists/admin/"
delay 5
end tell

tell application "System Events"
keystroke tab
keystroke tab
keystroke "user"
delay 2
keystroke tab
delay 1
keystroke "password"
delay 1
keystroke return
delay 5
end tell
tell application "Safari"
set URL of document 1 to "http://www.mysite.com/phplist/public_html/lists/admin/?page=processqueue"
end tell

tell application "System Events"
delay 5
keystroke tab
keystroke tab
keystroke "user"
delay 2
keystroke tab
delay 1
keystroke "password"
delay 1
keystroke return
end tell

save this file as processmysitequeue.app (not as a script)

from here on the processqueue runs correctly. had to enter username and pw twice as Phplist will request it when directly going to processqueue.

To make it run automatically use a third party cron manager installed on a computer that's always on, it should activate the processmysitequeue.app on the days and times desired.

While doing all this I migrated to another host where phplist works fine with the hosts cron manager
hassansr
PL Nut

Return to Community