New Dev version 2.11.10

Discussion about the phpList community

New Dev version 2.11.10

Postby Lappert » 2:41am, Thu 18 Jul, 2013

I've been trying for a number of years to find a good mailing list package. I tried phpList a few years back, and unfortunately, was not too impressed with it. I've also tried Mailman, DadaMail and ListMessenger. None of those do what is needed.

I'm with a somewhat poor Not-For-Profit and we really can't afford services like Constant Contact or Mail Chimp. But we do have our own server.

So I'm back at phpList and noticed there's a new development version in the works, 2.11.10.

On the demo, it looks pretty good. I'm wondering how close to release is it? And for the current version, is it production ready (or close to it)? We have around 20,000 names and need something that will get them out without doing major flub-ups.

Any observations will be appreciated. Thank you.
Lappert
PL Nut

Re: New Dev version 2.11.10

Postby jimlongo » 2:13pm, Tue 30 Jul, 2013

Why not just use the stable release. I'm pretty sure there's no functional difference and you won't have to wonder if you've run into a bug in the dev releases.

I'm always tempted to try the dev releases, but really I don't have time to fool around and I know the stable release works as advertised.

I don't have 20k users, but I do have a busy 3k user list. I send about 60 emails a year and the one thing I'd stress is to throttle your sending rates. I prefer to send an email every 7-15 seconds so my server isn't consumed with by the phplist process and can do other things it needs to do in the meantime.
jimlongo
PL Geek

Return to Community