Spammers requesting help

Discussions that don't fit elsewhere & discussions not related to phpList (This does not mean spam is allowed).

Spammers requesting help

Postby vancoovur » 7:49pm, Thu 25 Sep, 2008

Has anyone come across blatant attempts to use PHPList to send spam? I recently conversed with someone requesting help with a PHPList installation but suspect that, after running a series of whois requests on the domains involved, reading the email that was to be sent, reading info on the related web sites and checking part of the purchased 'opt-in' list, that it was to be used for spamming. Is there an established protocol for dealing with this sort of thing?
vancoovur
PL Geek

Re: Spammers requesting help

Postby H2B2 » 1:47am, Wed 01 Oct, 2008

Vancoovur wrote:Is there an established protocol for dealing with this sort of thing?
I'm afraid there isn't one that I know of.

Besides the obvious, i.e. not offering the help they asked for, reporting them to their ISP, there are not many other measures I can think of. One of them would be to report possible/probable spammers to the proper authorities, though this would probably only be useful in those countries that have some kind of anti-spamming legislation in place. Legal action against spammers and 'scammers' have shown some increase in the last few years, and I expect this trend will take hold and include more countries.

See also http://www.politechbot.com/2004/05/05/michael-geist-on/
H2B2

Postby vancoovur » 3:30pm, Thu 02 Oct, 2008

An interesting side note...
I contacted the first 16 people from the 'opt-in' list supplied by the spammer. I attempted to advise them that their personal information (email, first/last name, phone number, birthdate etc) was being sold to spammers and they should contact the company that sold it. I even supplied the web site, company name and contact info so they could follow up.

Result? I received a single, one line reply from ONE of the persons I contacted asking for "...more information". I supplied their details as per the spammer's list and haven't heard a word back. People have no right to complain about spam unless they're willing to do something about it. Ignoring the problem empowers the low lifes that make their 'living' out of flooding the internet with useless crap. I took the time out of my extremely busy day to let these people know they're being targeted and only one had the decency to respond...barely. Ironically, they probably thought *MY* email was spam.
It also bothers me that a fantastic project such as PHPList is being used to enable these people to spread their s**t around the net.
vancoovur
PL Geek

Return to Other