[solved] daily URL-content newsletter problem

Solutions for other advanced phplisters

[solved] daily URL-content newsletter problem

Postby drichter » 5:44pm, Thu 23 Apr, 2009

One user is subscribed to two lists. He has the RSS frequency-attribute daily. When I send two daily newsletters with different URL-content, the system sends only one newsletter to this user.
The next day the user should receive the rescheduled newsletters, but the system sends none. The eventlog (that proves the run of the cronjob) said, that it processed users, but no mail was sent except the system-mails. When I invoke the process-queue manually it says similar things. Here an excerpt of the eventlog:
864 Löschen processqueue 2009-04-23 04:30:02 Finished this run
863 Löschen processqueue 2009-04-23 04:30:02 Processed 12 out of 3 users
862 Löschen processqueue 2009-04-23 04:30:02 Found them: 3 to process
861 Löschen processqueue 2009-04-23 04:30:02 Looking for users
860 Löschen processqueue 2009-04-23 04:30:02 Message 58 is an RSS feed for daily
859 Löschen processqueue 2009-04-23 04:30:02 Processing message 58

I'm using version 2.10.9.

I tried both, the RSS-Content and the URL-Content. I tried with or without template. I read every description or daily newsletters, but could not find my fault. I would appreciate some help. Where do I continue debugging?
drichter
phpLister
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 9:10pm, Sun 10 Oct, 2004
Location: Köln, Germany

Re: daily URL-content newsletter problem

Postby drichter » 11:33pm, Sat 18 Jul, 2009

OK, perhaps the problem was not described correctly:

One subscriber of 2 different RSS-contents should receive 2 Newsletters daily. That did not work because only one Newsletter is sent to one RSS-Subscriber.

I solved this problem by changing admin/rsslib.php
Line 40 I added:
Code: Select all
  /* PATCH Detlev Richter dr */
  $cansend[0] = true;
  /* PATCH Detlev Richter dr */


That looks simple, and so it is, but it took me some effort to find this out. Hope this helps someone.
drichter
phpLister
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 9:10pm, Sun 10 Oct, 2004
Location: Köln, Germany

Re: [solved] daily URL-content newsletter problem

Postby RTWolf » 3:25pm, Wed 31 Mar, 2010

Thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for. One side effect of that code is that multiple messages can be sent to people higher than their stated frequency by "send a message" (whether manually or through scheduled cron job). This side effect is something I wanted, but you may not, so keep that in mind. Remember though, that users also need to have not received the same data before, not just have the particular frequency, so if you've sent something to someone already and try to send it to them again, it won't work. You may also be limited by the "minimum number of RSS items to send" in the configure page.

IE: Without this patch, a user who's set to a weekly schedule for RSS emails only receives one email per week. You can try sending more messages but the system does not send them (it just processes those users successfully but does not send).

With this patch, users set to weekly schedule will receive an email every time you send out a message to the weekly schedule, as many times as you'd like. I'm currently testing the RSS functionality, so this is exactly what I needed.

I put the patch like this:

$cansend = Sql_Fetch_Row($cansend_req);
/* PATCH Detlev Richter dr */
$cansend[0] = true;
/* PATCH Detlev Richter dr */
if (!$exists || $cansend[0]) {

It wasn't line 40 for me, so I thought I'd throw up the info.
RTWolf
PL Nut
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 2:42pm, Wed 31 Mar, 2010


Return to Advanced Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest