[solved] Internally generated messages not sent

Solutions for other advanced phplisters

[solved] Internally generated messages not sent

Postby wabrinkm » 4:49pm, Tue 19 May, 2009

After installation, tests showed that phplist thought that it is sending messages that I generate (using “send a message”) as well as internally generated messages (such as regarding confirmations in response to someone subscribing or unsubscribing). No error messages appear in the eventlog. However, no messages are received by the users/members.

To clearify: I am using version 2.10.9
Some definitions:
DOMAIN_NAME stands for ‘mydomain.org’
EMAIL stands for ‘weblist@mydomain.org (the email address at the webhost specifically for phplist). Also note that at my webhost, email ‘address’ is the same as email ‘user name’
PASSWORD stands for password for EMAIL

I then modified config.php to read:
Define (“PHPMAILERHOST”, ‘DOMAIN_NAME’)
$phpmailer_smtpuser=’EMAIL
$phpmailer_smtppassword=’PASSWORD

By the way, the only other place where the above personal information appears in config.php (placed there during installation) is:
$bounce_mailbox_host=’DOMAIN_NAME’
$bounce_mailbox_user=’EMAIL
$bounce_mailbox_password=’PASSWORD

The effect of the config.php modification is that messages generated by me (using ‘send a message’) are received by the users and a bad email address results in a message in my mailbox (EMAIL): ‘delivery failed’. However, internally generated messages fail. Specifically:

1. a subscriber is told: ‘Sorry, sending the email to request your confirmation failed’; and in the eventlog: subscribe page: ‘Mailer Error: Language string failed to load: recipients_failed…@... (email address of user)

2. after I sent a message (which is received by the user), I find in the eventlog: ‘processing message X, XX messages sent, script stage 5 …’, but also: ‘processqueue page: Mailer Error: Language string failed to load: recipients_failedlistreports@DOMAIN_NAME.

3. sending a test message (after first saving it) gives me: ‘Email address not found to send test message: EMAIL’.

4. interestingly, when unsubscribing, a user is told: ‘your have been unsubscribed and will receive confirmation soon’. However, in the eventlog: ‘unsubscribe page” Mailer Error: Language string failed to load: recipients_failed…@... (email address of user).

I have checked the docs and this forum and found only 1 item with this particular error message (Language string failed to load: recipients_failed....), posted in October 2008 but without any information as to how this was resolved.

Many thanks for your help
wabrinkm
phpLister

Re: Internally generated messages not sent

Postby toritaiyo » 2:22am, Fri 12 Jun, 2009

I'm having the same problem.
I have setup phplist in the past without problems. This time I am trying to setup phplist 2.10.10 on a new website and it is not sending the confirmation emails...

Someone help please!
toritaiyo
phpList newbie

Postby mstroven » 12:47am, Fri 24 Jul, 2009

I'm having the same problem also. My hosting provider doesn't allow email to be sent from "nobody", so I am using the SMTP settings with my server, username, and password. People trying to register get the following error:
"Sorry, sending the email to request your confirmation failed, please click "Reload" to try again..."
mstroven
phpLister

Postby mstroven » 2:29am, Tue 28 Jul, 2009

Bump.
Please help... Someone must have an idea about this. I'm sure I'm not the only person trying to use SMTP with PHPList...
mstroven
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 4:20pm, Sun 02 Aug, 2009

I assume you already checked that phplist isn't running in test mode.

Please see this thread for ways to setup error reporting: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=23569
This may help you find out what's causing your sending issues.
H2B2

Postby mstroven » 8:22pm, Sat 08 Aug, 2009

Yes. Test mode is definitely disabled. I have noticed a strange symptom... Mails sent to users (I am primarily concerned with the confirmation requests first) hosted on the same Virtual Machine (running WHM/cPanel) get through to their intended recipients. For instance: shelbybc.org is the site I'm working on. stroven.com is hosted on the same server (using the same exim install). Confirmations and mailings go through just fine to "user@stroven.com", as well as "user@shelbybc.org". However, anything sent to an external address, "user@att.com" just disappears. If I send using "mail user@att.com" (for example), on the command line, the unix sendmail works fine. My host is setup to not send email as user "nobody", so I require the SMTP method to work in PHPList. My config.php file includes:

define("PHPMAILERHOST",'mail.shelbybc.org');
# if you want to use smtp authentication when sending the email uncomment the following
# two lines and set the username and password to be the correct ones
$phpmailer_smtpuser = 'listmanager%shelbybc.org';
$phpmailer_smtppassword = 'mypassword';
$phpmailer_smtpport = '2525';

And my class.phplistmailer.php file includes the mod to allow a different default SMTP port as follows:

$this->SMTPAuth = true;
$this->Helo = getConfig("website");
$this->Host = PHPMAILERHOST;

$this->Username = $GLOBALS['phpmailer_smtpuser'];
$this->Password = $GLOBALS['phpmailer_smtppassword'];
$this->Port= $GLOBALS['phpmailer_smtpport'];
# logEvent('Sending authenticated email via '.PHPMAILERHOST);

# logEvent('Sending via smtp');
$this->Mailer = "smtp";

My site also has a full CommunityBuilder install, and that works fine using SMTP also...
Can someone suggest further debug steps to help me narrow down the problem?
mstroven
phpLister

Re: Solved - Internally generated messages not sent

Postby mstroven » 1:32am, Tue 11 Aug, 2009

exim was rejecting the "from" address "noreply@[DOMAIN]". I needed to put an existing actual email address there.
Hopefully this will save someone else a little trouble.
mstroven
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 5:39am, Tue 11 Aug, 2009

Thanks for reporting your findings!

I'll mark this thread as solved and move it to the "advanced answers" section.
H2B2

NOT SOLVED + BUG Internally generated messages not sent

Postby GazOutEast » 12:17pm, Thu 08 Apr, 2010

Doesn't work for me (v2.10.10)

Neither adding the SMTP port, nor manually editing the from address has helped

PLUS - there's a bug in the admin - configure page

BUG - manually overwriting the email address noreply@[DOMAIN} does not save the manually entered address if the manually entered domain name is the same as the one in the [DOMAIN] variable - upon re-entering the edit page, it has reverted to the noreply@[DOMAIN] setting

See also viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31229&start=0
If it's fixed, I can break it
GazOutEast
PL Geek

Return to Advanced Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks