multipart message format trouble

Solutions for other advanced phplisters

multipart message format trouble

Postby fieldlab » 10:44pm, Wed 16 Dec, 2009

How can I send messages only to text-only or HTML-only users using criteria?

How can I edit the text and HTML sections of a message separately?

Some people still receive (or can only receive) text only, including sometimes people with disabilities. If I understand PHPlist (ver 2.10.10), HTML messages automatically become multipart and a text only version is generated and embedded, after composing, before sending.

The problem is that the text only versions look bad, the footer is sent as HTML code, and I cannot edit the text only version separately, optionally leaving out template, header, footer,etc. that look very bad as text.

Alterantively, I cannot send an email to selected users who receive only HTML, then a separate email to text only users. This attribute is not available under criteria tab.
fieldlab
phpLister

Re: multipart message format trouble

Postby fieldlab » 2:00am, Thu 17 Dec, 2009

I found line 527 of config.php experimental features (purely by chance- no mention in the docs):

Code: Select all
527  # Manual text part, will give you an input box for the text version of the message
528  # instead of trying to create it by parsing the HTML version into plain text
529  define("USE_MANUAL_TEXT_PART",1);

which creates a SEPARATE text composition window (which STILL sends the header or footer HTML) (not sure how data fields are handled), but the text is otherwise clean and independent of the HTML composition.

This partially addresses the issue, and offers a work araound.

I would still suggest enabling HTML/text preference as email recipient criteria.

I don't think USE_MANUAL_TEXT_PART was in the documentation where I might expect it. I came across many references to the fact the HTML is the only composing format, text/HTML are now always combined, text only is no longer an option, etc., without any mention of USE_MANUAL_TEXT_PART.
fieldlab
phpLister

Re: multipart message format trouble

Postby H2B2 » 1:18pm, Sun 20 Dec, 2009

fieldlab wrote:I found line 527 of config.php experimental features (purely by chance- no mention in the docs)

You'll find a reference to this feature here:
http://docs.phplist.com/TemplatesInfo
http://docs.phplist.com/PhpListConfiguration

fieldlab wrote:I don't think USE_MANUAL_TEXT_PART was in the documentation where I might expect it. I came across many references to the fact the HTML is the only composing format, text/HTML are now always combined, text only is no longer an option, etc., without any mention of USE_MANUAL_TEXT_PART.
The documentation wiki is community effort. You are welcome to improve it if you think information is missing, or add the information in a more logical section of the docs, i.e. where you "might expect it".
H2B2

Return to Advanced Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks