Bad email addresses

Solutions for other advanced phplisters

Bad email addresses

Postby ohsnyder » 1:41pm, Sun 11 May, 2014

Is there a way in phpList to have undeliverable (bad address) emails returned to more than the sender (multiple email address)? I have tried searching for the answer but cannot figure out how to asked using the proper phrase.
ohsnyder
phpList newbie

Re: Bad email addresses

Postby Cornwell » 2:50pm, Wed 14 May, 2014

I take it that you want several people to be able to receive the bounces? These will be going to a special email address, probably listbounces@yourdomain.com
If you can set up email forwarders on yourdomain.com, just forward that email address to the multiple email addresses. Leave it as a regular mailbox too, so that the bounce processing works successfully.

An alternative is that users can look at the bounces via the admin interface if they have sufficient privileges.
Cornwell
PL Geek

Postby ohsnyder » 4:49pm, Wed 14 May, 2014

Thank you for the reply. I am pretty sure the bounces to go to my domain email XXX@mdwvo.com and I have a forward setup to go to my XXX@live.com address. It works fine, I also set up a forward from XXX@mdwvo.com to a second email but they don't get forwarded to the 2nd address. That is why I was asking if there was a way to send the bounces directly to the 2nd destination. I can't find where it is set for the bounces to go to me - I assume it is because I am the owner. Just seems like there should be an easier way to do what I would like to do.

Thanks again
Last edited by ohsnyder on 5:08pm, Wed 14 May, 2014, edited 1 time in total.
ohsnyder
phpList newbie

Postby Cornwell » 5:05pm, Wed 14 May, 2014

First - you may want to edit your post to stop spammers from harvesting those email addresses of yours.

If you look at config.php (in the config folder) and search for Settings for handling bounces then below the comments you will see a definition of $message_envelope which will tell you where the bounce messages are going.
Cornwell
PL Geek

Postby ohsnyder » 5:31pm, Wed 14 May, 2014

I found it but it is commented out right now i.e
# $message_envelope = 'listbounces@yourdomain';

If I were to uncomment it can I use multiple addresses ? i.e
$message_envelope = 'xxx@verizon.net','xxxx@live.com';

Also one other question = the line is in the config & config_extended files. Do I need to change both of them.

I hope I am in the correct place because I don't understand how the code could be doing anything when it is commented out.
ohsnyder
phpList newbie

Postby Dragonrider » 5:46pm, Wed 14 May, 2014

ohsnyder wrote:Also one other question = the line is in the config & config_extended files. Do I need to change both of them.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40503
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
Latest phpList version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Postby Cornwell » 6:17pm, Wed 14 May, 2014

ohsnyder wrote:If I were to uncomment it can I use multiple addresses ? i.e
$message_envelope = 'xxx@verizon.net','xxxx@live.com';

I don't know but I suspect not. You should check outthe manual and there is no mention of multiple addresses on that page. But my earlier suggestion of multiple forwarding should work.
Cornwell
PL Geek

Return to Advanced Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks