[solved] Manually Add a User to the Blacklist

Solutions for other advanced phplisters

[solved] Manually Add a User to the Blacklist

Postby Lee Pilzer » 3:52pm, Wed 23 Aug, 2006

Is it possible to manually add a single user to the blacklist?
Lee Pilzer
PL Master

Postby Hernol » 5:48pm, Wed 23 Aug, 2006

Only editing the database I think.
Hernol
Admin

Postby jackbremer » 10:25am, Fri 01 Sep, 2006

user details - unsubscribe page
jackbremer
PL Geek

Postby Lee Pilzer » 2:07pm, Fri 01 Sep, 2006

Jack,

Well, yes and no.

First: For those who may want more detail than you provided, here's your suggestion:

1. Log in to the PHPlist main admin page.
2. Click "users".
3. Click the user you want to add to the blacklist.
4. Click "unsubscribe page".

The effect is the same as if the user clicked the "unsubscribe" link in an e-mail that he/she received. That is, the user is shown the unsubscribe message, the user is unsubscribed, and the user is added to the blacklist.

HOWEVER, the user is also sent an e-mail confirming the unsubscription.

I am looking for a way to add a user to the blacklist WITHOUT anything being sent to the user.
Lee Pilzer
PL Master

Postby jackbremer » 2:22pm, Fri 01 Sep, 2006

fair enough, and presumably just deleting them is not good enough - you need to keep their details but prevent them from receiving emails...

there will probably be a thread here somewhere about how to prevent unsubscribe confirmation emails...

good luck - I'm off to Edinburgh for the weekend, will check back in on Monday...
jackbremer
PL Geek

Postby Hernol » 2:33pm, Fri 01 Sep, 2006

Hernol wrote:Only editing the database I think.
Hernol
Admin

Postby tigrecanela » 4:00pm, Wed 18 Oct, 2006

I too would like to blacklist a user without using the "unsubscribe" page and the user receiving confirmation emails (this particular user is very angry about getting our newsletter for some reason, but can't figure out how to use the "unsubscribe" link and I really don't want him getting even an unsubcription notice at this point.)

So I edited the database, marked the user as blacklisted, and when I go to my admin page and select "Show only blacklisted users" the user's email is there alright, but still comes up as with the red "X" marking him as NOT being blacklised! Going to the "details of a user" also shows "Is this user blacklisted" with a zero, even though I put a 1 there in the database.

Is there something else I need to mark in the database so the user will come up as blacklisted everywhere?
tigrecanela
phpLister

Postby BUGabundo » 11:49am, Thu 02 Nov, 2006

there is another place on the BD that u need to provide a reason for them to leave.
it can be an empty filed dought.
currently I have my phplist down, so i can say at does fields are exacly, but just look around to see, another blacklisted user, evevn if u need to creat a test user
BUGabundo
PL Nut

Postby H2B2 » 5:10pm, Thu 26 Apr, 2007

You might take a look at the "unsubscribePage" function in index.php, and the "addUserToBlackList" function in userlib.php
H2B2

Postby montyconte » 3:04am, Fri 18 Jan, 2008

Where is the "addUserToBlackList" function? I can't find any file named userlib.php, and I can't find that function in any of the user*.php files. Running 2.10.5.

I want to use that function in order to blacklist users myself, WITHOUT sending a confirmation email. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
montyconte
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 3:56am, Fri 18 Jan, 2008

In admin/commonlib/lib/userlib.php
H2B2

Postby montyconte » 5:09am, Fri 18 Jan, 2008

Thanks a lot for the reply. :D

Any advice on how to break this function out into a separate script, so that I could blacklist people manually, without sending email confirmation?

It looks like line 623 in index.php is responsible for sending the unsubscribe confirmation email. If I commented this out, would the unsubscribePage function still work properly, just not send an unsubscribe confirmation email?

Sorry to ask instead of experimenting, but I'm wary of testing it on a live system. Thanks again for the help!
montyconte
phpLister

Manual Blacklist a list

Postby m3m » 10:06am, Tue 12 Feb, 2008

I have the same issue, but would like to import a blacklist txt file which I can to - but I can't take a blacklist attribute and use it to scrub the names from other lists or delete from Data Base.

When changing mail programs, you have an old blacklist that you need to migrate.

Has anyone done blacklist migration into PHP without manually dealing with the data base?

Thank you.
m3m
phpLister

Postby Ernesto » 2:54pm, Fri 15 Feb, 2008

For those interested in disallowing subscriptions from certain domains, take a look at this solution:
http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?p=42358#42358
http://mantis.phplist.com/view.php?id=5184
Ernesto
PL Freak!

Simple mass blacklist for the Admin

Postby crSteve » 5:58pm, Wed 26 Mar, 2008

I just edited massunconfirm.php

Line 2 Add
Code: Select all
//userlib for blacklist function
include_once dirname(__FILE__).'/commonlib/lib/userlib.php';

Line 20 Add, inside the foreach loop, before the closing }
Code: Select all
//added user to the blacklist
addUserToBlackList($email, 'Admin Blacklisted');

Now I can blacklist and unconfirm a single e-mail address or a large group of e-mail address. After you make the changes just click on manage users then mass unconfirm users. Enter the e-mails and enjoy.

The users get added to the blacklist, check the database, however there is this problem: When you view the user list showing only the blacklist emails the recently added names show up. However, when you do a search for the user it shows an X under bl l instead of the check mark. I guess it has to do with the browser cache, cause eventually it sorts out and displays the appropriate check under bl l.
crSteve
phpList newbie

Next

Return to Advanced Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks