[fixed] Only SuperAdmins can confirm users?

Solutions for other advanced phplisters

[fixed] Only SuperAdmins can confirm users?

Postby thegurf » 6:42pm, Fri 06 Oct, 2006

I've run into an issue similar the one described in Questions & Problems – after installing: Is this user confirmed (1/0)... can't edit.

Is it intentional that only SuperAdmins would be able to mark users as confirmed when other admins can edit all aspects of the rest of the user data?

What I'm trying to do is create an admin account for someone who can add new users that have expressed interest in subscribing via mail, email or face to face interactions without requiring that they visit the subscribe pages themselves. I'd prefer not to have to give this new admin permission to change every setting in PHPList, but haven't been able to find a way to make that work.

Am I missing something in the documentation or configuration settings that would make this possible?

Thanks much!
thegurf
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 9:16pm, Sat 14 Oct, 2006

Have you tried changing admin permissions for users to ALL?
user user ALL
user users ALL

See also the administrator functions documentation and subsequent pages.
H2B2

Postby thegurf » 2:44pm, Tue 17 Oct, 2006

H2B2 wrote:Have you tried changing admin permissions for users to ALL?
user user ALL
user users ALL

Yes. All of the user-related settings for this admin are set to ALL. The documentation seems to indicate that these options should allow an admin to edit all aspects of a user profile. However, it seems that the ability to confirm a user isn't working properly.

Based on my reading of the forum post referenced in my initial question, it seems I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. Can anyone confirm whether this is a bug?
thegurf
phpList newbie

Postby llamaGod13 » 3:17pm, Tue 30 Jan, 2007

has this been explored further?

I've got an admin that i'd like to give the ability to confirm users, but don't necessarily want to give him superadmin access.

i'm using v2.10.4 and i've got all of the access privileges for the 'user type' set to 'all'.

thanks
llamaGod13
phpLister

Postby cbutera » 3:28pm, Mon 24 Sep, 2007

I'm having the same trouble - only the 1st superadmin can confirm by changing it to a 1 on the user text box.

I even gave a secondary user superadmin and they still couldn't confirm. What gives? Any ideas?
cbutera
phpLister

Postby Antonimo » 8:37pm, Mon 17 Dec, 2007

Has anybody found a way around this yet?

I have admins with very few privileges, but they do need to be able to make the users confirmed when they edit details from the admin section.

Is it possible to "pre-enter" a "1" into the input field of the form?

I have also noticed that when I create an admin with "none" for every one of the Access Privileges and that admin goes to the publicly viewable subscribe page:

==========================
You are logged in as administrator (admin2) of this phplist system

You are therefore offered the following choice, which your users will not see when they load this page.

Go back to admin area

Please choose:
Make this user confirmed immediately
==========================

So, an admin without Access Privileges can confirm a user from the public subscribe page, but not from within the admin section.

I have also discovered and admin, who is not Super Admin is able to "mark all users confirmed" through "manage users" > "reconcile users"
Antonimo
PL Geek

Can normal admin confirm users?

Postby GluLife » 4:01pm, Wed 30 Jan, 2008

cbutera wrote:I'm having the same trouble - only the 1st superadmin can confirm by changing it to a 1 on the user text box.

I even gave a secondary user superadmin and they still couldn't confirm. What gives? Any ideas?

I had a different experience. When I gave a secondary admin account Super Admin powers, they were able to confirm users either via the Reconcile User page or the "Is this user confirmed (1/0)" field on the User page. I'm using version 2.10.5.

This is not an optimal solution. I'd like to echo thegurf's question: is there a way to create a (non-Super) admin that can confirm users?

Thanks.
GluLife
phpList newbie

Postby pittstains » 8:20pm, Fri 22 Feb, 2008

<bump>

Does anyone know more about this? The only way I found to make this work is to give the admin SuperAdmin privileges, which I don't want to do.

Any ideas as to where this resides in the code? Maybe I can patch it up myself...
pittstains
PL Nut

possible solution

Postby gerdpj » 11:02am, Thu 24 Jul, 2008

If anybody still has the problem that only SuperAdmins can confirm new User - here is a possible solution:

in file 'admin/commonlib/pages/user.php'
- find the following line (~237)

Code: Select all
if ($key == "confirmed") {
      if (!$require_login || ($require_login && isSuperUser())) {
        printf('<tr><td>%s (1/0)</td><td><input></td></tr>'."\n",$GLOBALS['I18N']->get($b),$key,$user[$key]);
      } else {
        printf('<tr><td>%s</td><td>%s</td></tr>',$b,$user[$key]);
      }
} elseif ($key == "password" && ENCRYPTPASSWORD) {

and change it (comment out the lines) to:

if ($key == "confirmed") {
      //if (!$require_login || ($require_login && isSuperUser())) {
        printf('<tr><td>%s (1/0)</td><td><input></td></tr>'."\n",$GLOBALS['I18N']->get($b),$key,$user[$key]);
      //} else {
      // printf('<tr><td>%s</td><td>%s</td></tr>',$b,$user[$key]);
     // }
} elseif ($key == "password" && ENCRYPTPASSWORD) {

Now every Admin (if the rights are set) can confirm new user.
gerdpj
phpList newbie

how to set the user confermation to 1

Postby Guest » 4:36pm, Tue 19 Aug, 2008

hi
friends
i set the default value of user confirmation in the table phplist_user_user to 1 & that solved my problem
thanks all

Postby Guest » 9:52am, Tue 02 Sep, 2008

i tried gerdpj's solution but it only worked half the way.. the confirm field was editable but when submitting the form it wasn't saved.

i solved the problem by editing the following line in file 'admin/commonlib/pages/user.php':

find: (line 67)
elseif ((!$require_login || ($require_login && isSuperUser())) && $key == "confirmed")
   Sql_Query("update {$tables["user"]} set $key = \"".$$key."\" where id = $id");

replace with:
elseif ($key == "confirmed")
      Sql_Query("update {$tables["user"]} set $key = \"".$$key."\" where id = $id");

Postby Guest » 9:10am, Wed 10 Sep, 2008

Hi all,

I've made these changes thanks to gerdpj and tobyy which have now allowed my secondary admin to confirm a user at the point of adding a new user, but once saved that admin can't see the user they've added.

I'm guessing this is a permissions issue so does anyone know which permission(s) i would change please?

Regards
J

Re: [fixed] Only SuperAdmins can confirm users?

Postby skulking » 10:05am, Tue 13 Mar, 2012

Hi all,
I run into this today as well.

I'm on 2.10.17 and need to add a 2nd admin for new user creation.
Is there any way to set necessary permissions to confirm new users through the GUI and not changing code?
To grant "superadmins" rights is not the way.

Thanks
Skulking
skulking
phpLister

Postby CS2 » 1:55pm, Tue 13 Mar, 2012

Yes, unfortunately, PHPlist regularly ignores permissions on many pages.
CS2
PL Master

Postby richardh1 » 4:51pm, Tue 10 Sep, 2013

I am having this same problem and was going to edit the PHP code like was suggested on this thread but it seems it has changed quite a bit since it has been quite a few years.

Any ideas on how to give Admins permission to change the confirmation setting on users without giving them SuperAdmin privileges?
richardh1
phpList newbie

Return to Advanced Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks