SMTP error: Data not accepted

Solutions for other advanced phplisters

SMTP error: Data not accepted

Postby dataseek » 4:01am, Sun 28 Jan, 2007

I got a remote smtp server that authenticates by IP address and e-mail address. I create a message with my smtp e-mail address and My static IP is also OK.
And i try to send messages i get on eventlog windows:

Mailer Error: Language string failed to load: data_not_accepted

20961 del processqueue 2007-01-28 01:49:19 Error sending message 48 to caroline@xxxx (caroline@xxxx)

20960 del processqueue 2007-01-28 01:49:19 Mailer Error: SMTP Error: Data not accepted.

My config file is like this:

# To use a SMTP please give your server hostname here, leave it blank to use the standard
# PHP mail() command.
define("PHPMAILERHOST",'smtp2.braslink.com');

# if you want to use smtp authentication when sending the email uncomment the following
# two lines and set the username and password to be the correct ones
#$phpmailer_smtpuser = '';
#$phpmailer_smtppassword = '';

The from email in the message is the same one I use in my Worldcast software and it works. So i think it must be something in the message header or information that is blocking it, if someone would give me a hand id aprecciate. P.S: My smtp doenst have a limit sending messages, only daily i can send 2.000 messages, and i didnt send any today.

Ricardo
dataseek
PL Nut

Re: SMTP error: Data not acepted

Postby H2B2 » 2:10pm, Sun 28 Jan, 2007

dataseek wrote:Mailer Error: Language string failed to load: data_not_accepted

[...]

20960 del processqueue 2007-01-28 01:49:19 Mailer Error: SMTP Error: Data not accepted.

This does not seem to be a phplist issue. See: http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?p=11054#11054 you might take a look at the other suggested fixes too.

Hard to say what causes it exactly in your case. You could also take a look at some posts with similar error messages in the phpmailer forum: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... nth=200408

Or search the web for your error message and see if anything useful comes up.
H2B2

Postby dataseek » 2:14am, Thu 08 Mar, 2007

This thing happened to me twice, now i fixed it by changing the folowing:

# If you want to use the PHPMailer class from phpmailer.sourceforge.net, set the following
# to 1. If you tend to send out html emails, it is recommended to do so.
define("PHPMAILER",1);

to:

# If you want to use the PHPMailer class from phpmailer.sourceforge.net, set the following
# to 1. If you tend to send out html emails, it is recommended to do so.
define("PHPMAILER",0);

For some reason it was working fine, then suddenly stopped sendind. But i hope that helps someone.

Ricardo
dataseek
PL Nut

Postby alfredo_tripicchio » 4:20pm, Wed 09 Apr, 2008

Hi, I am running a brand new 2.10.5 installation, with PHPMAILER on:
Code: Select all
define("PHPMAILER",1);

and I've experienced the same data_not_accepted problem.
This error is thrown by admin/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php, but it doesn't tell much, so I added
    var $SMTPDebug    = true;

in admin/class.phplistmailer.php
just after line
class PHPlistMailer extends PHPMailer {

and I found out that the problem was due to a connection timeout (the default is set to 10 sec in admin/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php), so I removed the debug line in admin/class.phplistmailer.php, and added the following line:
    var $Timeout = 60;

I'm still testing it, but it seems to work better, I hope I don't have to give up with phpmailer, I don't like using the standard PHP mail() function.
alfredo_tripicchio
phpLister

Re: SMTP error: Data not accepted

Postby ghayward805 » 5:48pm, Mon 26 Nov, 2012

I've searched and have tried to use this way beyond what should be acceptable, with no luck still as I'm getting the same error no matter what I change.

phplist - version 2.10.19
PHP5
Cartika Linux Host
ghayward805
phpList newbie

Re: SMTP error: Data not accepted

Postby duncanc » 8:50am, Tue 27 Nov, 2012

ghayward805 wrote:I've searched and have tried to use this way beyond what should be acceptable, with no luck still as I'm getting the same error no matter what I change.

phplist - version 2.10.19
PHP5
Cartika Linux Host

You can enable SMTP debug to get more information about the error, see http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38238#p92924 but set the level to 1 not to 10.
duncanc

Return to Advanced Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks