[fixed] v2.10.10: I am unable to preview templates!!!

Discuss, research, share, find, and solve bugs

[fixed] v2.10.10: I am unable to preview templates!!!

Postby astralbaby » 11:46pm, Thu 14 May, 2009

I am on a clean install of 2.10.10.

I have disabled fckeditor and tinymce. So What I do is paste the template code into the box, then click submit.. then I have the opportunity to upload the images into the db. I also makle sure content tag is there as well... I test the html email on all 3 of my test email accounts and it looks and works like intended.

When I goto click the templates link on the right then it lists then templates ( I have 1 ) you can click on the name of the template to edit the html, or click on delete to delete the record, you can also click on VIEW.

When I click on VIEW, it loads the wrapper, but IT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE TEMPLATE into the page.. I view the source and it looks like it calls the content into a iframe.. so i grab the link and open a new browser and paste the link this way.. no dice..

I created a new template, and made it much more simple.. i still cannot preview the template.. just a blank screen with the link "back to edit template" also the phplist header, footer, and right nav bar shows... just no template preview.

I have tried different browsers also.. checked everything.. enabled fckeditor and re-created the template... still nothing..
I have exhausted all avenues like searching the forums and mantis.. any help with this issue would be GREATLY appreciated... :D
astralbaby
phpLister

Re: v2.10.20 - I am unable to preview templates!!!

Postby H2B2 » 2:34am, Fri 15 May, 2009

I can confirm your findings. Might well be a bug.

Thread moved to the bug discussion section.
H2B2

Re: v2.10.10: I am unable to preview templates!!!

Postby astralbaby » 3:15am, Fri 15 May, 2009

Thank you for dropping this into the correct forum.. i was starting to wonder if this was indeed a bug since my version I am on has been only used publicly for 10 days...

can anyone else CONFIRM this bug with the latest installation and report your findings here?

Also.. I am thinking of writing a bootstrap untill the fix is released, but would like to know if this is indeed a bug.. since my client will not be using the mckeditor, my client will need a way to preview the template to make sure it looks good... he could always send himself a test email.. but that is no good....

thanks so much in advance..

Jonathan
astralbaby
phpLister

Postby astralbaby » 4:27am, Fri 15 May, 2009

I have worked out somehow on displaying the images.. but the text... I am working..
astralbaby
phpLister

Postby astralbaby » 5:07am, Fri 15 May, 2009

Ok.. i am at a stand still here.. I can get all the images to display.. but instead of whats in the [CONTENT] place holder, I get the socrates mumbo jumbo.. its a good read.. but would rather have my veriage...

in the db.. there are 2 tables..

template which olds the template html in a blob.. why? this includes all images.. raw html..
then there are template_images.. whic are blobs as well binary code..

where can I over ride the socretes verbage and assign the message text to it instead so i can display my template correctly?

I am trying here.. and need help.. and I need sleep... :)
astralbaby
phpLister

Postby tjader » 7:42am, Fri 15 May, 2009

I have the same problem too. I don't have a clean install but upgrade from 2.10.9.
Have we find any solution for this? The Socrates text is located under <your web root directory>/list/admin/lan/<your language>/viewtemplate.php
tjader
phpList newbie

Postby astralbaby » 4:03pm, Fri 15 May, 2009

I dont remember.. but does the socrotes text come up all the time when you preview a template? Is this by design? Or did it just render the template with the {CONTENT] tag displayed instead?

If tis is the case with the socrotes text.. then yes.. I have a solution for now...

If this is a bug, then how come the main demo.phplist.com/lists/admin/ works correct? hmmm..

feedback on this would be appreciated...
astralbaby
phpLister

Postby CS2 » 4:25pm, Fri 15 May, 2009

Yes, when you view a template it always shows the socrates stuff, since you don't yet have any "content" to stick into the [CONTENT] placeholder.
CS2
PL Master

Postby astralbaby » 5:15pm, Fri 15 May, 2009

ok then.. if this is the case... then I have a bootstrap untill the real fix comes down the hill from the developers...

goto <phplist dir>/admin and rename viewtemplate.php to viewtemplate.php.BAK

we do this so we will have a good backup of the file so when the bug is fixed.. you can delete the bootstrapped file and rename viewtemplate.php.BAK back to viewtemplate.php.

Ok.. now download the following zip file, unzip and just ftp them into the admin directory.. now attempt to view the template in phplist by clicking on the view link... everything should work a treat.. please provide feedback here if this works for you.. it is meant as a temp patch only and IS NOT considered part of the original phplist installation.. use at own risk.. ( you will be fine )

Jonathan
preview_template_bootstrap.zip
fix applies to version 2.10.10 using linux,apache platform
(972 Bytes) Downloaded 519 times
astralbaby
phpLister

Postby astralbaby » 8:35am, Sat 16 May, 2009

Is this working for anyone? I know it is not much of a fix.. but it works for me.. just wated to share it for anyone else who may have the same issue... :D
astralbaby
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 1:47am, Mon 18 May, 2009

I ran a test, and I'm afraid your solution doesn't seem to be working on my system.

The url for the iframe source generated before the changes was:
Code: Select all
lists/admin/?page=viewtemplate&embed=yes&omitall=yes&id=1

And after the changes:
lists/admin/?page=viewtemplate&embed=yes&omitall=yes&id=

Note the missing template id at the end.

The result in both cases is a blank iframe content, i.e. the html source is empty.

As a test, in previous versions -once logged in- you could just enter the iframe source url in the browser (e.g., your_domain.com/lists/admin/?page=viewtemplate&embed=yes&omitall=yes&id=1) and this would display the template as expected.

System info:
phpList 2.10.10
Linux/Apache
PHP 5.2.3
MySQL 4.1.12
Firefox3/IE6
H2B2

Postby astralbaby » 3:31am, Sat 23 May, 2009

so i grab the link and open a new browser and paste the link this way.. no dice..

That was the first thing that I attempted. It is not a problem with iframe.. but it is interesting that you do not get a id var appended to the link AFTER my hack... for some reason, it works on my system.. my server specs are right in line with yours.. different taste of nix.. Even when you call the url in the browser directly.. it still uses viewtemplate.php.. iframe or not.. hmmm.. I appreciate the fact that you ave taken the time to post.. no one else has... but I am running good.. is it luck?? who knows... When I get a break.. I will get back in and investigate..

There didnt seem to be a big issue with this except me and you.. so.. I fixed the app and went with it..
astralbaby
phpLister

Postby tipichris » 12:08pm, Mon 08 Jun, 2009

I found this to be (another) register_globals issue on my system. $id is not set - use $_GET['id'] instead. Or set $id, with some sanity/validity checking, from $_GET['id'].

--- lists/admin/viewtemplate.php.orig   Fri Jun  5 20:10:42 2009
+++ lists/admin/viewtemplate.php        Fri Jun  5 20:17:20 2009
@@ -12,7 +12,7 @@
   print '<p>'.PageLink2("template&id=".$_GET["id"],$GLOBALS['I18N']->get('BackEditTemp')).'</p>';
} else {
   ob_end_clean();
-  print previewTemplate($id,$_SESSION["logindetails"]["id"],nl2br($GLOBALS['I18N']->get('TempSample')));
+  print previewTemplate($_GET['id'],$_SESSION["logindetails"]["id"],$GLOBALS['I18N']->get('TempSample'));
}

?>

tipichris
phpLister

Postby Statick » 9:55am, Fri 12 Jun, 2009

just to say - i was having the same problem, clicking "view template" just gave an empty page with a link back to "edit template"

i've installed the bootstrap fix and it seems to be working
Statick
phpLister

Postby berras007 » 7:46am, Thu 18 Jun, 2009

i install the bootstap.php but it wont work...
help pls.. my current version is 2.10.10

my mail is deathgroove@gmail.com
berras007
phpList newbie

Next

Return to Bug Discussion