[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3893)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3893)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3893)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3893)
phplist forums • View topic - Corrupted/missing attachments still happening

Corrupted/missing attachments still happening

Discuss, research, share, find, and solve bugs

Corrupted/missing attachments still happening

Postby balidave » 9:10am, Sun 14 Mar, 2010

I've scoured the forum and mantis for solutions to the problem of some email clients not getting attachments (pdf in my case) or they're corrupted. The majority of our customers seem to receive them OK, but seems to be maybe 10-20% of clients have trouble. I've upgraded to 2.10.10 from 2.10.2 and still have the problem tho it was supposedly fixed in 2.10.5 (mantis # 15164).. I tried virtually everything I could find on the forums (turning off PHPMailer, setting default mime type to multipart/mixed, mantis fix 15227), and a number of code changes, both suggested and what looked like a promising lead. All to no avail.

I use Eudora (Win XP SP2) and it receives them OK, tho the attachments are NOT labeled as attachments in Eudora's summary window (i.e. there's no attachment icon next to the entry) -- something's obviously amiss with the format of the message. But I can live with that. Interestingly I tried forwarding the email coming from PHPList to my wife's Mac Leopard (which is one of those that can't get to the attachments) and tho the attachment is part of the message, it's still not visible there -- just like when it was sent directly from PHPList. However the attachment itself works fine on my machine, and if I drag it over to a new message to her and send from Eudora, she gets that fine -- so the attachment itself is OK. My conclusion is that the mime-related structure of the email from PHPList is somehow corrupted and doesn't work for some email clients -- but this is an area where I'm woefully ignorant.

I've been using PHPList for about 4 years and with our email list of 30,000+ active clients, it works fine. But this is a critical problem for me -- our users are very unsophisticated so even getting them to download PDF's from our website causes all sorts of problems. We really need to send them the pdf directly (and even then have to tell them about pdf's, ...).

This corrupted/missing attachment issue has been around for quite some time now, as I see posts from at least 2007 on (last ones Sept, 2009), and still people having similar problems. I'm hoping to raise the priority of this issue with developers so it can be addressed finally. Meanwhile if anyone has any suggestions, experiments, workarounds, ... I'm all ears (and will be eternally grateful to any that work, or at least help the situation :wink: )

Thanks,
Dave
balidave
phpLister

Re: Corrupted/missing attachments still happening

Postby balidave » 9:08pm, Tue 16 Mar, 2010

OK, I found the source of the problem and a workaround. This problem happens for me only when sending HTML messages with inline images and attachments. If I remove all inline images, attachments come thru fine for everyone; even Eudora now shows them properly in the summary window (i.e. the attachment icon appears) and my wife's Mac Leopard mail receives them OK. I just sent out 2700 emails this way and apparently no one is having the problems reported before. I switched to substituting the PHP Powered logo to just the text (set EMAILTEXTCREDITS to 1) and made my logo be a URL to an image instead of inline, and all is fine now.

Developers please note: When using inline images with attachments, PHPList sets the content-type of the email to multipart/related. Other email systems that have successfully sent me such messages, show a content-type of multipart/mixed and those seem to work everywhere. So I think multipart/mixed is correct. Now without inline images, I get multipart-mixed as the content-type from PHPList. I tried hacking phpmailer to force this, and it sort-of worked in that the attachment got thru OK, but it made all the inline images show up as attachments too. So the fix is not so simple.

Anyhow I hope this helps others with this problem and gives the developers enough info to go on to do a fix for a later release. If such happens, I'd appreciate getting a PM about the fix since I'd like to go back to using inline images in some emails.
balidave
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 6:47pm, Thu 15 Apr, 2010

Thanks for your detailed post. Could please mention whether your findings are based on a scenario with phpmailer enabled?

Related bug report: http://mantis.phplist.com/view.php?id=15437
phpList | | | |
H2B2

Postby balidave » 12:49am, Fri 16 Apr, 2010

Yes, phpmailer is enabled since I need more-than-simple HTML support in the emails. Let me know if you need any other info.
balidave
phpLister

Postby rosbif » 10:23pm, Thu 06 Jan, 2011

Anything happening about this? I have had a few users tell me attachments have not been attached to mailings and I need to fix it. I'm using version 2.10.12
rosbif
PL Nut

Postby rosbif » 8:53pm, Sun 09 Jan, 2011

Have tried removing inline images as per the suggested workaround but somehow the linked image is still appearing as an attachment with the attachment not visible. Any more ideas?
rosbif
PL Nut

Postby rosbif » 2:32pm, Wed 12 Jan, 2011

Nobody else having this problem?
rosbif
PL Nut

Postby rosbif » 9:34am, Mon 24 Jan, 2011

Seems no one else is having the problem but I've certainly found that anyone using Leopard for example will not get an attachment if there is an image in the email or the template.

I have got it working (to a degree) by upgrading phpmailer to the latest version (5.1 I think) and redoing my templates. I have to use online images in my templates rather than embedded ones as they don't work. If I try to save the images (on the page after saving the template), even if they are online, then phplist seems to replace the URL in sent emails with a cid: value for the image, which seems to refer to nothing. So, in summary, to get it working:

1) replace phpmailer with the latest version
2) redo all your templates with new ones, using online images
3) DO NOT SAVE or upload the images in the screen after saving your template
rosbif
PL Nut

Postby kgm » 9:03pm, Thu 10 Feb, 2011

You're not alone.

I'm using 2.10.12 and am completely unable to get a PDF attachment to work for some of my potential users. (Note 'potential', since I'm about to give up with phplist.)

This is a vanilla installation of phplist with just enough config to get going. The message I'm sending has nothing fancy - no inline images - just a line of text saying 'I'm testing attachments'. I've tried it with and without the phplist logo, with and without PHP Mailer, and with the latest version of PHP Mailer. For those users affected, none of these changes make any difference.

I'm astonished that more list managers aren't griping about this. Surely sending a PDF attachment is commonplace for a list. Which makes me wonder whether the source of the problem is not phplist directly, but something it's picking up from the server environment, and thus less likely to be encountered.

Anyway, I just came here to grumble. Since I seem to have tried all known workarounds, I guess it's time to look for an alternative mailing list solution. Shame because, in all other respects, phplist is exactly what I need.

Thanks for listening.
kgm
phpList newbie

Postby Cornwell » 9:13am, Sat 28 May, 2011

I think this may be a PHPMailer issue and not a PHPlist one.

I have coded an application that runs a competition for publishers. Once we have established that their entry is in order, it sends an email with a PDF attachment to say where to send the books. This application uses PHPMailer but not PHPlist. A minority of publishers do not get the attachment, so it's the problem described here. I'm still investigating.

One thing I have noticed, and it may be relevant, is that if I divert the mailing to myself it comes in with the PDF attachment, but if I try to forward it on to the intended recipient then it does not attach the PDF to the onward message. The solution to this puzzle probably lies in working out why that is.
Cornwell
PL Geek

Postby shaunmoss » 10:03am, Fri 17 Jun, 2011

I've been stuck with the same issue forever we've always managed to convince clients that most 99% of the recipients view it fine.

SOLVED HERE (scroll to bottom):
http://www.xpertmailer.com/forum/viewto ... orrupt+pdf

File to edit is MIME5.php

Its the length of the mime string lenght, 73 which is default! vs 72 which kills the attachments in odd mail viewers.
shaunmoss
phpList newbie

Postby Dragonrider » 10:31am, Fri 17 Jun, 2011

My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Postby richk » 11:17am, Thu 11 Aug, 2011

Hi,
I experienced same problem. I noticed that attachment is in email and only my mail client is not recognizing it.
But I also noticed that PDF was second attachment, first was PHPList icon file. So I tried to change PHPLIst promotion to text only by define("EMAILTEXTCREDITS",1);
Try to set it to 1 and will check PDF attachments again.
Richard
richk
phpList newbie

Postby jjc » 5:05pm, Wed 19 Oct, 2011

jjc
PL Nut

Postby cmeerend » 9:37am, Sun 19 Feb, 2012

Running PHPList v2.10.17.
Thanks to the previous posts I didn't have to search that much. However, I got stuck in de lists/admin/phpmailer code. It looks like setting the messagetype in function SetMessageType() goes wrong. Instead of sorting it all out, I tried the shortcut, install a new version of phpmailer.

I replaced lists/admin/phpmailer with the code from PHPMailer_5.2.1.tgz (the current release). This seems to have solved the problem. The Content-Type changed from multipart/related to multipart/mixed as I would have expected in my test mail (mailing with template with and inline picture, PHPList icon and an attachment).

The bad thing is that I don't know what exactly changed between phpmailer 1.73 (the one used in PHPList 2.10.17) and phpmailer 5.2.1. So maybe I now have a lot of other bugs/problems introduced although I haven't seen any yet. It might be worth investigating replacing the old PHPMailer code with the new one in a next PHPList release.

--
Chris
cmeerend
phpList newbie

Next

Return to Bug Discussion