[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3893)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3893)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3893)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3893)
phplist forums • View topic - Forward a Message to Someone Not Working

Forward a Message to Someone Not Working

Discuss, research, share, find, and solve bugs

Forward a Message to Someone Not Working

Postby plazma » 5:22pm, Mon 14 Jan, 2013

Hi,

Version: 2.10.19

This was pointed out by someone proofing an newsletter (test copy), they told me that the "Forward a Message to Someone" link did not workm, the rest of the links were ok, however it worked fine for me (logged in as admin), but sure enough trying from another browser it got a page not found error.

After much hair pulling i realised the link works fine for everyone else once the message has gone to sending / sent stage but not when its in draft, at this stage it only works for the logged in admin.

Surely it would make more sense for this to work for anyone who a proof copy was sent to.

Hopefully this will save someone else losing hair and possibly could be changed so anyone who is given a test (proof copy) has fully working links.
plazma
phpLister

Re: Forward a Message to Someone Not Working

Postby mrmckoy » 5:49am, Wed 23 Jan, 2013

If they are in the database you can send them a copy of the test message. You can add their email to the test send. Just use a comma (,) and add their email address.

Or you could forward them a proof from your personal email account. That's what I normally do so that my customer can reply directly to me about changes. If the system sent, then they would reply to the system. That is the downside. It's probably not that efficient.

And also, with email authentication (SPF & DKIM) you don't want the system to try to send as you if you have a major ESP provided email address like gmail or yahoo. The receiving server will know you don't have permission to send on your own behalf by those ESPs (email service providers). You're email will mostly be junked or blackholed.

If you own the domain you can set yourself up with SPF and DKIM permissions and you could have phplist emulate that address with no issues. Then it would be like the proof is coming from you.
My Casting Call Site: My Casting Call Newslist:
mrmckoy
PL Master

Postby plazma » 11:37am, Wed 23 Jan, 2013

Hi mrmckoy, Firstly phplist is sending using smtp by the actual domain, im well aware of how SPF and DKIM works, so all is fine there.

Secondly, i think you have missed my point, with a secondary browser on your machine, or with a secondary machine try and visit the forward to someone link whilst the email is in proof stage, for me on a recent installation of phplist it didnt work for anyone unless they were logged in as an admin.

Once the message has gone to sending/sent stage this works no problems.

Im yet to go back to test if this is the case with other installation, but as im normally logged in as admin when im doing it, its not something ive likely noticed before.
plazma
phpLister

Postby Dragonrider » 1:01pm, Wed 23 Jan, 2013

I don't think what you are trying to do will work, simply because until you send the message, the forward to links are not going to be generated.
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Postby plazma » 1:19pm, Wed 23 Jan, 2013

Thats what i was saying, i was making the post so others also realised this is why it didn't work pre actual send out and to make the suggestion that at some point in the future it could be modified so it possibly did work (as a suggestion only).
plazma
phpLister

Postby mrmckoy » 4:10pm, Thu 24 Jan, 2013

I understood. Thats why I tried to give you a workaround.
My Casting Call Site: My Casting Call Newslist:
mrmckoy
PL Master

Postby plazma » 11:55am, Fri 25 Jan, 2013

Ok right I see, sorry I did already know how to get the email to other recipients without the forward feature, its just it took me some working out to figure that it wouldn't work when a message was in proof. Like I said I was just documenting the way it works as I didn't find the information anywhere saying this was the case, hoping to save others some frustration and possibly to suggest it could be modded to work in proof stage, anyway thanks for your input :)
plazma
phpLister

Postby lsmichael » 8:31pm, Wed 23 Apr, 2014

lsmichael
phpList newbie

Postby Coppergreen » 12:10pm, Tue 08 Jul, 2014

Coppergreen
phpList newbie

Return to Bug Discussion