PHPLink shows in sub-domains when using "Enable Multi-Site"?

Technical discussion for developers and service providers

PHPLink shows in sub-domains when using "Enable Multi-Site"?

Postby Johnz414 » 11:11pm, Mon 21 Feb, 2011

Hi,

I'm trying out the WordPress "Enable Multi-Site" plug-in with my Domains under the "public_html" directory. This plug-in offers making sub-domains off your domain name.

One of my domains is reachpageonefast.com and a sub domain I made is "web-traffic-genius.reachpageonefast.com".

I should be finding the WordPress blog there that I installed under "reachpageonefast.com" but instead I find the PHPList?

WordPress is installed in the (domain name) directory "reachpageonefast.com" under the "public_html" root directory.

The description to use this "Enable Multi-Site" plug-in says that WordPress needs to be installed under the "Root" directory? I don't know if the "Root" directory is just the "public_html" and/or also under the domain name directory?

Is the domain name directory under "public_html" a Root" directory?

I also have the PHPList plug-in under "public_html"

So, why is the PHPList showing up when the WordPress blog is suppose to be showing up? And how do I fix this? Thanks.

John
Johnz414
phpList newbie

Re: PHPLink shows in sub-domains when using "Enable Multi-Site"?

Postby eazeegeek » 5:21pm, Tue 22 Feb, 2011

Johnz414 wrote:Hi,
Is the domain name directory under "public_html" a Root" directory?

I also have the PHPList plug-in under "public_html"

public_html is the Root directory.

If you have PHPlist installed there, then you cannot have Wordpress installed there too.

I suggest you install PHPlist under the subdomain name that you want.
Then remove PHPlist from the Root.
Install Wordpress in the Root.

This will cause your blog to show up under the main website URL.

IMPORTANT: Take backups of your folders and mysql databases BEFORE you start making any changes.
When using the Forum
  • Give details of your issue with error messages
  • Tell everything you have tried
  • For resolved issues add "RESOLVED" to Subject of your Post
eazeegeek
PL Master

Re: PHPLink shows in sub-domains when using "Enable Multi-Site"?

Postby Johnz414 » 9:26pm, Wed 23 Feb, 2011

OK, maybe I can clear this up.

I have web hosting with HostGator. My main domain with them is "Species-Universe.com"; (to host with them you need one main domain name and then I have unlimited domain hosting with them).

I then have about 5 other unrelated domain names in the public_html folder/directory. Each domain is kept in a separate folder/directory in the public_html folder/directory.

I setup the 'Enable Multi-Site" on a few of the domains hoping to be able to make sub-domains off them for marketing purposes.

The instructions to use "Enable Multi-Site" is to have the main domain in the Root Directory. I am/was not clear on the Root Directory being only the "public_html" directory. I thought that the other directories being domain names themselves constituted them as "Root Directories"?

So, apparently I will not be able to make sub-domains off the other domains; at least not using "Enable Multi-Sites"?

If you happen to know more about doing this (making sub-domains, i.e., http://www.web-traffic-genius.reachpageonefast.com the "web-traffic-genius" being the sub-domain to "reachpageonefast.com" --- you'll find the PHPList at that URL; I would like to have a blog/squeeze page there instead) I would greatly appreciate any advice that you or anyone might have regarding this. Thanks.

John

PS Any suggestions (video tutorials, etc.) on how to use the PHPList most effectively would also be appreciated.
Johnz414
phpList newbie

Return to Developers Space