Development Release 2.11.10

Technical discussion for developers and service providers

Development Release 2.11.10

Postby Lappert » 2:24pm, Sat 20 Jul, 2013

I asked this in the Community area, but got no response.

I've been trying for a number of years to find a good mailing list package. I tried phpList a few years back, and unfortunately, was not too impressed with it. I've also tried Mailman, DadaMail and ListMessenger. None of those do what is needed.

I'm with a somewhat poor Not-For-Profit and we really can't afford services like Constant Contact or Mail Chimp. But we do have our own server.

So I'm back at phpList and noticed there's a new development version in the works, 2.11.10.

On the demo, it looks pretty good. I'm wondering how close to release is it? And for the current version, is it production ready (or close to it)? We have around 20,000 names and need something that will get them out without doing major flub-ups.

Any observations will be appreciated. Thank you.
Lappert
PL Nut

Re: Development Release 2.11.10

Postby duncanc » 11:14am, Mon 22 Jul, 2013

It might be best if you install 2.11.10 in a test environment to try it out.
Although the user interface is different (more modern) there probably aren't too many new functions compared to 2.10.x. There are a lot of technical and internal changes but the way of operating - users, lists, messages etc, is the same.
And there are a few functions that currently have not yet been implemented in 2.11.x
  • RSS messages
  • stacked attribute selection

As you were not impressed with an earlier release then, whatever those issues were, they may well still exist. So installing a test version is probably the way to find out.
duncanc

Postby SomethingWicked » 1:51pm, Mon 22 Jul, 2013

I'm interested too in the new release of the 2.11 version.

Is there a roadmap, or at least a vague idea of the possible release of the new version? I already installed it locally, and tried it a bit, but yet I haven't used it in any live project.

Since I'd like to hack a bit to get the possibility to have different template (sets) based on the user/owner, I'd like to know if it's something soon to be released or even easy to accomplish.

Thanks in advance.
SomethingWicked
phpList newbie

Postby duncanc » 9:03pm, Mon 22 Jul, 2013

The best way to get information on the "roadmap" is to ask on the development mailing list https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/phplist-developers
duncanc

Postby Lappert » 11:34pm, Mon 22 Jul, 2013

Duncanc,

Thank you for your reply, and I'll give it a go as a test.

But isn't there some irony, to say the least, that the developer's list is hosted on Mailman?
Lappert
PL Nut

Postby mariofau2 » 3:42am, Mon 23 Sep, 2013

Lappert wrote:Duncanc,

Thank you for your reply, and I'll give it a go as a test.

But isn't there some irony, to say the least, that the developer's list is hosted on Mailman?

No, phplist is to send newsletters, not for mail lists.
mariofau2
PL Master

Return to Developers Space