Russian translation

General talk about translations & I18n (Internationalization)

Russian translation

Postby gexly » 11:27am, Sat 23 Sep, 2006

I wonder if someone started subj. Could I help?
gexly
phpList newbie

Russian translation

Postby H2B2 » 12:48pm, Sat 23 Sep, 2006

A Russian translation for the frontend (russian.inc) has been made available by forfun (Nikolai): http://mantis.phplist.com/view.php?id=7046

He was thinking of translating the backend too, but not sure if he has started yet. See also PHPlist translation
H2B2

Re: Backend Russian Translation

Postby technextdoor » 1:40pm, Sun 12 Jul, 2009

He was thinking of translating the backend too, but not sure if he has started yet. See also PHPlist translation

I began working on my version of Russian translation of PHP Lists's backend.
technextdoor
phpList newbie

Russian translation

Postby rukhem » 4:44am, Mon 19 Oct, 2009

do not forget uncomment in:

admin/languages.php

"ru"=>array("Russian "," windows-1251"),
Attachments
admin_ru_v01.tgz
(35.71 KiB) Downloaded 793 times
rukhem
phpList newbie

Re: Russian translation

Postby H2B2 » 9:53pm, Sun 01 Nov, 2009

Thanks for your contribution.

I noticed your partial translation of the admin interface is in 1251 encoding. If you (or other translators) are thinking of completing the backend translation, please consider using UTF-8 encoding, instead of windows-1251. Thanks! :)

For those that are considering translating the remaining files, please contact rukhem or join the translators mailinglist and check if anyone else is working on this translation (or interested in joining in).
See http://docs.phplist.com/TranslatorsList
See also: http://docs.phplist.com/PhplistTranslation

Partial translation by rukhem of folder admin/lan/ru/

All files in the following folders still need translation:
admin/help/ru/ (see admin/help/en/ for reference)
admin/info/ru/ (see admin/info/en/ for reference)
H2B2

Postby berdibekov » 9:50am, Tue 14 Dec, 2010

hi guys. Please help me to translate backend to russian.
I'm using 2.10.12.
I tried to use translation by rukhem, however, as it is not encoded in UTF-8, i have problems with sending messages in UTF-8.
I'm able to translate all the backed to Russian since I'm almost Russian native-speaker. However, when I started translating to Russian, i encountered couple of problems (all the pages were encoded UTF-8 ):

1. Russian text garbled in sidebar
2. Russian text garbled on top of admin backend, where it indicates the page we are on, and were it says "good morning" and etc.

to my surprise, Russian text within the main block, where main categories and subcategories are displayed, was ok i.e. fully readable.

I changed, wherever possible, all encoding references to UTF-8, but without any success. I assume, there is a php file or a block of code responsible for rendering sidebar and the top with non-utf8 encoding set. As i'm not good with PHP, i couldn't figure out were those, nor i could find files with non-uft8 encoding set with any visually meaningful code declaring the sidebar or the top (of course except those for other languages and languages.php in admin).

There also one more thing. As i noticed, there are already translations available for other languages using UTF-8 encoding (such as Hungarian or Chinese) which are successfully rendered in the sidebar and top. Those who translated them, i assume, either did not encountered the problem or they found a work-around. Or it is that Russian cannot be displayed properly at all?

Any help is really appreciated and i promise, if assisted with solving the problem, i will provide fully translated utf8 russian backend within 2 weeks.

Thank you!
berdibekov
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 7:23pm, Thu 16 Dec, 2010

Did you check the admin interface is correctly set to UTF-8 by adding a language_info file to the lists/admin/lan/ru/ folder? The language_info file is required in v2.10.12 and replaces the encoding setting previously configured in admin/languages.php.

For more details, see paragraph "3. Charset of admin interface pages" in How to configure UTF-8 in phpList
H2B2

Postby berdibekov » 9:34am, Fri 17 Dec, 2010

H2B2 wrote:Did you check the admin interface is correctly set to UTF-8 by adding a language_info file to the lists/admin/lan/ru/ folder? The language_info file is required in v2.10.12 and replaces the encoding setting previously configured in admin/languages.php.

For more details, see paragraph "3. Charset of admin interface pages" in How to configure UTF-8 in phpList

yes I did. As I wrote before, I changed every possible reference to UTF-8. But still is unable to display Russian in the right menu properly. Maybe this is due to database settings? But I changed those as well. I sent part of my translation to PHPlist developers and they inputed to new version here http://dev.phplist.com/lists/admin/ (choose Russian language). So they had it to display properly, but I can't...
Any help appreciated!
berdibekov
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 6:13pm, Sat 18 Dec, 2010

berdibekov wrote:I changed every possible reference to UTF-8. But still is unable to display Russian in the right menu properly.

When you say you "changed every possible reference to UTF-8" what exactly did you do? I suppose you didn't change PHP code in any of the files that might have caused this inconsistent behavior on the same page, or did you?

One simple way to check if the charset settings of both the front-end (public pages) and back-end (administrator interface) have correctly been configured, is to view the HTML source of the subscribe page and of the 'send a message' page.
Both web pages should have this meta tag:
Code: Select all
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

berdibekov wrote:Maybe this is due to database settings?

This would only be the case if the text strings were kept in the database. However, most if not all back-end related text strings are kept in language files, not in the database.

I believe the text strings for the right menu bar are kept in admin/lan/ru/common.php and possibly admin/lan/ru/home.php. You could double-check the contents of these files and look for anything that sets them apart from the other files you translated.
H2B2

Postby ABerezin » 11:53am, Fri 24 Dec, 2010

Hi,
I also had problems with the encoding UTF-8. Bug - using strtolower for utf string.
1. languages.php
Replace
#if (!isset($GLOBALS['strCharSet'])) {
  $GLOBALS['strCharSet'] = $_SESSION['adminlanguage']['charset'];
#

by
#if (!isset($GLOBALS['strCharSet'])) {
  $GLOBALS['strCharSet'] = $_SESSION['adminlanguage']['charset'];
#
if (strtolower($GLOBALS['strCharSet']) == 'utf-8') {
  mb_internal_encoding("UTF-8");
}

2. connect.php
Function PageLink2
replace
return sprintf('<a href="./?page=%s%s%s">%s</a>', $name, $url, $pi, strtolower($desc));

by
return sprintf('<a href="./?page=%s%s%s">%s</a>', $name, $url, $pi, mb_strtolower($desc));

Function SidebarLink
replace
return sprintf('<a href="./?page=%s%s" target="phplistwindow">%s</a>', $name, $url, strtolower($desc));

by
return sprintf('<a href="./?page=%s%s" target="phplistwindow">%s</a>', $name, $url, mb_strtolower($desc));
ABerezin
phpList newbie

Return to Translators & Internationalization