Updating the translations

General talk about translations & I18n (Internationalization)

Updating the translations

Postby torvista » 8:28am, Thu 02 Jan, 2014

Hi,
maybe I am dim but I am just posting this as I was unable to find a clear description of this process and would like some confirmation of what I understand to help others who may waste hours finding this out.

1) The frontend translation strings are in /texts and are used by phplist in realtime, so changes made there are immediately visible in your installation.

2) The admin translations are stored in the database and are loaded there on demand when a new language is selected from the dropdown in the admin. These are loaded directly from the phplist translation site.

All required changes must be made and approved via the phplist translation site, then the new translation can be re-downloaded into the database using the Admin->System->Upgrade Translations menu item.
So it would seem the local /admin/lan and /admin/locale files that are included in the phplist distribution are there as a reference only and changes made there have no effect locally.

However, if I make a change in a local /admin/lan file and click Admin->System->Upgrade Translations, that language change is flagged up in the list.

More confusing, the first time I made a change, it allowed me to click on that language name as a link and an “update” was carried out. However the change I made did not appear in the database so I don’t understand what actually happened.

The second (and third) time I made a change, the language file was still flagged up in the update list, but the language name was not clickable to “update”.
(This is on a local Windows Xampp installation if that is relevant).

If all this is explained clearly and concisely elsewhere, please provide a link.
Thanks
Steve
torvista
phpLister

Re: Updating the translations

Postby duncanc » 3:18pm, Thu 02 Jan, 2014

duncanc

Postby torvista » 10:50pm, Thu 02 Jan, 2014

Thanks for the reply.
I did read that page previously but I don't see that answering all the statements and questions I made in my initial post so I am still looking for a confirmation/clarification on the points I made...if someone could do that. :D
Apologies if this is all blatantly obvious to those with more experience, I am generally not considered an IT dimwit but I'm sure more clarification on this will also help others.
torvista
phpLister

Postby duncanc » 8:17am, Fri 03 Jan, 2014

The translation page seems to explain how the translation process is meant to work, so that's what you need to follow if you want to work on translations. But I think that the phplist code falls-back to use the local files when translations are not available so maybe you are seeing an effect of that when modifying local files.

I think that you will have to sign-up to the developers or translation mailing lists to get any further information.
duncanc

Return to Translators & Internationalization