process queue does not refresh

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

process queue does not refresh

Postby burtonsnow8 » 11:14pm, Thu 22 Oct, 2009

Most everything currently works. E-mails are sent and received with no problems. I am running on a shared server so I can only use 500 e-mails an hour. I have over 10,000 users on my list. Basically this means I have to leave my php list running for a good day or two to send out all the e-mails. The problem is that php list does not refresh the process queue list. It will run its selected batch and then send me to a page which gives me an internal server error (no code) and a 404 error. I have to manually refresh after the hour is up for it to even run its next batch. Next time this pops up i'll SS and post here.

Also, should i be getting huge core.#### files in my admin directory. There are now 3 core.#### files upwards of 19MB in size located in the admin folder.

Thanks in advance for any help.

This is the error message after process queue

http://www.airflowresearch.com/images/untitled.JPG

I have linking disabled you are going to have to copy paste sorry.
burtonsnow8
phpList newbie

Re: process queue does not refresh

Postby H2B2 » 5:49pm, Sat 24 Oct, 2009

Instead of using batches I'd recommend only using the throttle to keep beneath the message limits of your host, or reduce the batch period and batch size settings. Also, make sure you have a safe margin, i.e. if you have a limit of 500 msgs/hr set configure phpList to send at a rate of no more than 400 or 450 msgs/hr.
For more info see: http://docs.phplist.com/PhpListConfigSendRate

Consider processing the queue through a cron job.

burtonsnow8 wrote:Also, should i be getting huge core.#### files in my admin directory. There are now 3 core.#### files upwards of 19MB in size located in the admin folder.

These core files are not related to phpList. They are probably core dumps. Check with your host why you are getting these core dumps.
See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_dump
H2B2

Postby burtonsnow8 » 8:24pm, Sun 25 Oct, 2009

I am using the message throttle to send out only 350 an hour. The only thing I have changed since it was working before the re-install was the 2 second wait between sending messages. Maybe my batch time is just too long. I'll try reducing batch size and time to see where that takes me. Thanks for the suggestions.
burtonsnow8
phpList newbie

Postby burtonsnow8 » 11:36pm, Tue 27 Oct, 2009

for those wondering, I had my define('MAILQUEUE_THROTTLE' in the config.php file set as a 2 when I was having problems. I have set my batches and set the throttle back to zero and the rest of my e-mails were sent out without having to refresh the page.
burtonsnow8
phpList newbie

Postby ThorstenAlbrecht » 11:25am, Fri 27 Nov, 2009

burtonsnow8 wrote:The problem is that php list does not refresh the process queue list. It will run its selected batch and then send me to a page which gives me an internal server error (no code) and a 404 error. I have to manually refresh after the hour is up for it to even run its next batch.

The internal server error could be caused by a simple timeout of the php process. While sending the mails phpList should refresh the process queue list (page) to start a new process before the timeout occurs.

Example: With the following settings you could start a new process after 100 mails:

define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_SIZE",100);
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD",1);
define('MAILQUEUE_THROTTLE',0);

This means: phpList will send 100 mails per batch, waits for 1s before reloading the webinterface. No waiting between sending the mails.

BTW The documentation of MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD is completely wrong: "define the length of one batch processing period, in seconds (3600 is an hour)". I tried for hours before I found out that MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD has a completely diffent meaning and that using a very small value would turn on the reload process of the web interface to cope with any timeout issues of the hosting provider. The default value of 3600 is much to high for most people.

If you know how long it takes to send 100 mails on your server you can calculate the "wating time between batches" and set MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD to this value.

Would be nice to know if this works for you.

Thorsten
ThorstenAlbrecht
PL Nut

Postby dsided » 4:03pm, Fri 11 Dec, 2009

@Thorsten Thank you very much!
dsided
phpLister

Postby DaveThePaintingGuy » 6:34pm, Sun 20 Dec, 2009

ThorstenAlbrecht wrote:
burtonsnow8 wrote:If you know how long it takes to send 100 mails on your server you can calculate the "wating time between batches" and set MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD to this value.

This is all very confusing to me.

My host, Lunarpages.com, changed their limits to;

20/minute
400/hour

They recommend lowering the total per hour to 350 to allow for other e-mails to go out, etc.

What should my settings be? I cannot figure out how to calculate it.

Currently my settings are:

define('REMOTE_URL_REFETCH_TIMEOUT',3600);
define('MAILQUEUE_AUTOTHROTTLE',0);

and

define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_SIZE",350);
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD",3600)
define('MAILQUEUE_THROTTLE',20);
DaveThePaintingGuy
phpList newbie

Postby djmike » 4:32pm, Fri 24 May, 2013

After a week of troubleshooting, I figured out MAILQUEUE_THROTTLE doesn't work right. Might be my server. But here's a crazy logic defying solution that worked for my situation. Improvise.

define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_SIZE",1);
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD",8);

This will send approx 360 emails an hour due to .2/.3 second additional processing time to deliver each message. No stalling. Process queue refreshed every 8 seconds and work as intended.
djmike
phpLister

Postby djmike » 4:34pm, Fri 24 May, 2013

After a week of troubleshooting, I figured out MAILQUEUE_THROTTLE doesn't work right. Might be my server. But here's a crazy logic defying solution that worked for my situation. Improvise.

define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_SIZE",1);
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD",8);

This will send approx 360 emails an hour due to .2/.3 second additional processing time to deliver each message. No delays. Process queue will refresh and work as intended.
djmike
phpLister

Return to Question & Problems - after installing