identify 'junk domains'

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

identify 'junk domains'

Postby wpo1408 » 10:55am, Thu 22 Mar, 2007

Hi,
This is my first post to the list, so 'Hello!'.
I like the look of this plug-in and will install it tomorrow (no time now).
I assume its OK with the latest vers of PHPlist? (Ie after 10.4).
Now, I would like to ask something ....
I have some large lists which contain a lot of rubbish email domains (such as junk1@greenboat.com, etc to junk1003@greenboat.com).
PHPlist is emailing these every time, but the effort is obviously wasted.
Is there a way to use the info gathered from this script to identify 'junk domains' and then blacklist them?
A positive answer to this would save a huge amount of bandwidth.
Regards,
Owen.
wpo1408
phpLister

Re: Following on ....

Postby H2B2 » 12:51pm, Thu 22 Mar, 2007

wpo1408 wrote:Is there a way to use the info gathered from this script to identify 'junk domains'

Yes, that's the basic idea of bounce processing. It will unconfirm a user when messages to a specific email address bounce a given number of times.
Ref: http://docs.phplist.com/PhpListConfigBounces
H2B2

Bounces

Postby wpo1408 » 2:47pm, Thu 22 Mar, 2007

Thanks for your reply, but surely if the email just 'slips off the edge of the table into the bin' it will not produce an error msg. It will be perceived as read.
Owen.
wpo1408
phpLister

Re: Bounces

Postby H2B2 » 3:24am, Fri 23 Mar, 2007

wpo1408 wrote:if the email just 'slips off the edge of the table into the bin' it will not produce an error msg. It will be perceived as read.

I'm afraid I didn't get your meaning there. Could you please re-phrase?
H2B2

Postby wpo1408 » 3:57am, Fri 23 Mar, 2007

Yes, sorry.
I was referring to sweeping one's desk clean of junk mail by pushing it off the edge into the bin.
More clearly put: what if one receives the mail but has it filtered straight into the rubbish bin.
PHPlist then perceives it as 'delivered and read', whereas it has only been delivered and binned.
No bounce!
If you look at a list of email addresses supplied by an FFA (for example), it is obvious who the pros are.
*@greenboat.com is one *@lionheart another; there's no point posting to these addresses: they will never be read, but they will never bounce either. Yet I'm sure they receive thousands of wasted emails a day. I would like to blacklist them (and others) manually to save bandwidth, time and pointless emails. This is not vindictive: they don't want my emails and I don't want to send to people who don't want them, but because they don't actually receive them, they don't unsubscribe either.
Apologies for the long post.
Thanks for your time,
Owen.
wpo1408
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 4:54am, Fri 23 Mar, 2007

wpo1408 wrote:what if one receives the mail but has it filtered straight into the rubbish bin.
PHPlist then perceives it as 'delivered and read', whereas it has only been delivered and binned.
No bounce!

I see what you mean. It is true phplist will regard messages that end up in a provider's spam folder as delivered, though NOT as read mind you. See http://docs.phplist.com/MessageTracking for more details on the message tracking features.

Still, messages will -amongst other reasons- usually bounce if either the prefix or suffix/domain is invalid/non-existent. So, the problem should only exists with valid email addresses of a) users that did not subscribe nor personally confirme their subscription, or b) users that do not want to receive your messages anymore, and just marked your messages as spam instead of unsubscribing.

The first issue could occur when importing users, in which case the problem can be contained by sending out a confirmation request after importing.
The second issue is more precarious, as you depend on the users willingness to use the unsubscribe link in your messages. However, this should not be a big issue if the unsubscribe link is clearly visible

Anyway, phplist offers a number of tools to help clean up your subscribers list, e.g.
Manage users >> reconcile users:
- find users who have an invalid email
- mark all users with an invalid email as unconfirmed
- delete users who have an invalid email
- etc.

This said, it would indeed be nice to have a way of blacklisting users, or domains.
See:
http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?p=21889
http://mantis.phplist.com/view.php?id=5184
H2B2

Cleaning lists ...

Postby wpo1408 » 6:05am, Fri 23 Mar, 2007

I already use the methods built into PHPlist to regularly clean my lists, but, as you agree, a means of blacklisting domains would be very useful.
I have several lists, two of which are quite large, as they are added to every day (I love the way PHPlist filters out duplicates). The addresses are low-grade FFA daily posters' lists, but they do yeild some results. I import them 'as confirmed', because they have already double-opted-in to the FFA in the first place; requiring another confirmation from PHPlist would be expecting too much, I fear.

Thanks for your time and comments,
All the best,
Owen.
wpo1408
phpLister

Return to Question & Problems - after installing