Noooooooooo! phpList sent the wrong message out!

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

Noooooooooo! phpList sent the wrong message out!

Postby garybeck » 7:57pm, Wed 03 Apr, 2013

I just spent the last 3 hours prepping my newsletter. I sent a test message to myself many times until it looked just right. I finally hit the send button.

I am getting responses from people who received my PREVIOUS newsletter that I sent out 6 months ago. What the????????

it appears some people got the new one, some people got the old one.... I don't know perhaps some people got both.....

how could this happen?!?! how can I prevent it from happening again?

this is confusing my customers and making me look like an idiot.

here's what the screen says:

Started
Sent in last run: 0
Skipped in last run: 0
Processing has started, 1 message(s) to process.
It is safe to click your "stop" button now, report will be sent by email to listreports@solarbus.org/
Processing message 20
Looking for users
Found them: 920 to process
Processed 920 out of 920 users
Script stage: 5
920 emails failed (will retry later)
Finished this run
Waiting for 100 seconds before reloading

any help is appreciated.

gary in Vermont
garybeck
phpLister

Re: Noooooooooo! phpList sent the wrong message out!

Postby duncanc » 10:22pm, Thu 04 Apr, 2013

I suspect that your old message, when originally sent, did not complete sending. Possibly there were some email addresses that phplist kept retrying.
When you processed the queue for your latest message the previous message was also processed. phplist will then send the message to any new list members.

The event log you have provided shows that there is something wrong as all the emails have failed. Possibly the send rate is too high for your mail server.
920 emails failed (will retry later)
duncanc

Re: Noooooooooo! phpList sent the wrong message out!

Postby garybeck » 7:14am, Thu 09 May, 2013

thanks... how can I prevent this from happening again? is there a way to clear the queue, in case there are any unsent messages still waiting?

it had been months since my last newsletter went out, so evidently these stuck or pending messages can sit there for a long time. before I send out another newsletter, I'd like to be sure this won't happen again. if some of the recipients didn't get the newsletter last time, I still want them to get the newest one going out, not the last one.

if there's any way to clear out the queue, please let me know. thanks!
garybeck
phpLister

Return to Question & Problems - after installing