Forbidden

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

Forbidden

Postby gijoe@toydeath.com » 1:07pm, Mon 18 Dec, 2006

Ive recently started getting this message when I login to my admin page
Fobidden. You don't have permission to access /public_html/admin/ on this server.

Also my subscribe page had gone blank.
any ideas? I'm using the previous version of PHP list
gijoe@toydeath.com
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 2:03pm, Mon 18 Dec, 2006

"HTTP Error 403 Forbidden - You don't have permission to access / on this server" would seem to indicate you don't have access to the files you are trying to load, in this case both index.php files.

You could check if something something has changed in the .htaccess file or the Apache configuration.

1. Your lists/.htaccess should look like this:

DirectoryIndex index.php

<FilesMatch>
Order allow,deny
deny from all
</FilesMatch>
<FilesMatch>
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</FilesMatch>
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc on

2. In /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf you might check that index.php is included in the line starting with DirectoryIndex, e.g.:
DirectoryIndex index.php index.html

Or ask you ISP if they changed anything that might have caused HTTP Error 403 to appear.
H2B2

Postby gijoe@toydeath.com » 8:30am, Tue 19 Dec, 2006

thanks for that
i wasn't able to carry out part 2
2. In /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf you might check that index.php is included in the line starting with DirectoryIndex, e.g.:
DirectoryIndex index.php index.html

I'm wondering if there is a way to back up my users and re-install? Is there a file I can back up that will keep all the users?

again thanks for your help
gijoe@toydeath.com
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 1:12pm, Tue 19 Dec, 2006

The simplest solution would be to contact your hosting provider, that is, if they are inclined to give support.

If you still decide to re-install, I would suggest you leave the current production install as it is for the moment, and do a separate test install. Just to see whether that solves the problem or whether it reproduces the problem. In the latter case, you will have no choice but to contact your host.

It is highly recommended to first make a full backup of your database. See http://docs.phplist.com/BackupDatabase and http://docs.phplist.com/PhplistUpgrade .
You can also export the users with the export feature of phplist.
H2B2

all good

Postby gijoe@toydeath.com » 11:04am, Thu 21 Dec, 2006

i've installed the latest version and got all my subscribers back! your help was invaliable! thanks so much!
nick
gijoe@toydeath.com
phpLister

Postby gijoe@toydeath.com » 11:14am, Sun 11 Feb, 2007

Hi
PHP list was working well for a month or so but has again started giving the Internal 500 error.
any ideas on what the server has done to cause this. I have tried re-installing but with no success
thx
nick
gijoe@toydeath.com
phpLister

Postby Cataldomedia » 1:39am, Mon 26 Mar, 2007

Hello,
I have installed PhpList and am getting the dreaded HTTP 403 (Forbidden) message...

I think my problem is indeed related to the .htaccess file, because.. quite simply.. I can't get it to appear in my lists folder.. :?

I've uploaded it again and again, and it does not appear - I renamed it to something else and uploaded that - it appeared. I renamed it to its proper name - and it promptly disappeared once more.

I can only assume that my host doesn't like files that begin with a '.'?

Is there any way around this? Can I tell PhPList to access this information in a file with a modified name?

Thanks for any help in advance
Cataldomedia
phpList newbie

Return to Question & Problems - after installing