Possible Upload a "blacklist:" + Work-Around

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

Possible Upload a "blacklist:" + Work-Around

Postby jameswynen » 6:43pm, Thu 04 Jan, 2007

I see that PHPlist has a mass "unconfirm" how about a mass "blacklist" for uploading. I am currently migrating over a large list of users, it would be nice to have that as an option. Since my past mailer had an automatic "do not mail" list that was applied every send.

I have a work-around, to enable "do not send mail in this list" option then create list called blacklist and add memebers to that group and click it every time. But I am sure I will make a mistake in the future and not click that option and send to those people.

I am sure it would not be a terribly hard option to add, since mass confirm is doing the same thing just flipping 0 to 1 in the database. We would just flip a different field, the blacklist field. If no one has written this up yet, I will eventually write it up and post it here in a couple months. (basically copy the mass unconfirm code and change the database flip to blacklist)

Does anyone have another solution?

Thanks

James
jameswynen
PL Nut

Postby H2B2 » 2:37am, Fri 05 Jan, 2007

You could take a look at this feature request and perhaps add a note: http://mantis.phplist.com/view.php?id=5184
H2B2

Blacklist Users

Postby Heritage » 5:36pm, Mon 01 Oct, 2007

The above is not like the feature request stated in the link (blacklist by domain). It is quite different.

What the person above is asking is to allow one to upload a list of emails to be blacklisted. The same way we can "mass uncofirm".

Since emails addresses are the unique identifier here asking for a "mass blacklisting" work around is a very valid and a different question.

Just like how we handle the bounces. Maybe having the mass unconfirm made just a bit more advanced. Maybe call it "mass status change users".

If we include an action drop down so we can have the following "actions" done to an uploaded list of emails.

action:

Drop down menu to include -
delete user
unconfirm user
blacklist user
unsubscribe user from all lists (currently you cannot unsubscribe anyone completely if they are in more than one list)

Or just add to user management a few more pages with links for each action, but this would seem redundant.

This is a very important issue since we know importing and exporting data on a mass scale to change statuses in not a viable work around. It is almost impossible to get an entire database to download past 120,000 records (even on a dedicated server with the database on it's own data drive).

Note: mass unconfirm only works for about 1,000 records at a time. Anymore becomes an issue.

Hence why we mentioned more handling of "email status changes" for users by email address should be like the current bounce handling code.
Heritage

Re: Blacklist Users

Postby pkw » 10:41am, Fri 30 May, 2008

Heritage wrote:Just like how we handle the bounces. Maybe having the mass unconfirm made just a bit more advanced. Maybe call it "mass status change users".

If we include an action drop down so we can have the following "actions" done to an uploaded list of emails.

action:

Drop down menu to include -
delete user
unconfirm user
blacklist user
unsubscribe user from all lists (currently you cannot unsubscribe anyone completely if they are in more than one list)

Or just add to user management a few more pages with links for each action, but this would seem redundant.

This is a very important issue since we know importing and exporting data on a mass scale to change statuses in not a viable work around.

Agree, this is exactly what I need, too. First need is to be able to MASS-DELETE. I can't do it through mysql, because I would leave attributes and so on inb the DB. But basically, being able to do MASS-change based on email list is really important.

I tried to tweak the code, but the user delete part is far too complex :cry:
pkw
PL Nut

Re: Possible Upload a "blacklist:" + Work-Around

Postby DigitalSennin » 12:21am, Sat 07 Dec, 2013

I know that this post is old, but I wanted to leave a comment to let people know that in the new version of phpList, we can do this very easily.

In phpList:
Subscribers > Suppression List
Make sure that Make suppression permanent is checked.
Place a list of emails to be blacklisted.
I believe that it requires a single email address per line.
Click Continue.

You're done. :D
DigitalSennin
phpList newbie

Re: Possible Upload a "blacklist:" + Work-Around

Postby psinnott » 6:41pm, Wed 11 Dec, 2013

The Suppression list is a nice new addition but is there anyway to delete a suppression list later. For instance, I would like to remove a handful of people from the suppression list so that they can get emails again.

Thanks
psinnott
phpList newbie

Return to Question & Problems - after installing