AOL Woes - All else working Great!

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

AOL Woes - All else working Great!

Postby badlael » 3:02pm, Wed 17 Jan, 2007

PhP list is working great..... AOL, however is not letting ANY eml through whatsoever. I've read the forums thoroughly and unless I've missed something I'm at a dead end. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Rev 2.10.3

I've done the following:

1. Check the DNS. ALL clean including crititical points such as reverse lookup, etc.
2. configured PhP List on all email accounts from "noreply" to "mail"
3. configured config.php for smtp authenticaiton as per instructions
4. removed header info in class.phplistmailer.php in admin directory, deleted the following:

$this->addCustomHeader("X-Mailer: PHPlist v".VERSION);
$this->addCustomHeader("X-MessageID: $messageid");
$this->addCustomHeader("X-ListMember: $email");
$this->addCustomHeader("Precedence: bulk");

5. in sendemaillib.php, commented out # "Precedence: bulk",

I'm outa bullets unless I've missed something.

The only thing I see in the header that may be causing the problem at this point is:
==================================================
Received: from nobody by server1.knox3.xxx with local (Exim 4.63)
(envelope-from <nobody>)
==================================================
I've asked my isp to consider configuring on his end to something other than <nobody>.

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Thane
badlael
phpList newbie

Postby m.e. » 3:58am, Thu 18 Jan, 2007

Thane,

Does your domain have an SPF record? I believe AOL requires one.

m.e.
m.e.
PL Nut

Postby badlael » 2:16pm, Thu 18 Jan, 2007

m.e. wrote:Thane,

Does your domain have an SPF record? I believe AOL requires one.

m.e.

AOL definitely pushes the SPF record requirment, however I've seen posts in this and other forums where people are not having any trouble whatsoever and don't use them. I will ask my isp to obtain one. It cannot hurt. My concern still is the fact the email "never reaches" the recepient......at all. It doen't even make it to the spam box....
badlael
phpList newbie

Postby Hernol » 2:37pm, Thu 18 Jan, 2007

Hernol
Admin

Postby m.e. » 5:07pm, Thu 18 Jan, 2007

I have yet to go live with my install, but I was able to get sample messages through to a test AOL address after making some changes to my configuration as recommended by a friend on the same server who was having more success. (Before that, my messages had the same fate as yours: no delivery, no bounce, no spam box, no nothing.)

Basically, I eliminated the code for SMTP. In my config/config.php, lines 605-612 are all commented out. No hostname, no authentication.

Just before that block of code, I also have the phpmailer option set to 0.

I'm going to send you a private message with an expanded header that got through to AOL in case you are able to create something close. Note that both my domain and the server name (where you'll see a reference to qmail) have SPF records.

Good luck!
m.e.
PL Nut

Postby undrwatrdan » 2:16am, Sat 20 Jan, 2007

I hope you don't mind my jumping in on your conversation. I have tried everything you guys have listed. I have had my ISP add SPF records, but I still cannot send to AOL addresses. My messages are going to hotmail accounts but not to AOL addresses. Any further suggestions? I've run out of ideas.

Thanks in advance
Danny
undrwatrdan
phpList newbie

Postby m.e. » 10:30pm, Mon 22 Jan, 2007

Danny,

You might try contacting AOL (see link above) to ask if your domain's IP number is blacklisted. Believe it or not, I actually was able to get an email response from AOL (even though it took a couple days), and continue a conversation with them about nondelivery of mail.

If your IP is on a blacklist, and it's not for a legitimate reason (i.e., you have not been spamming AOLers), you could try requesting them to take you off the blacklist. If they won't, or it doesn't help, you might try to get a new IP number assigned to you by your Web host, and make sure it's one not listed on SORBS or some other list. Keep in mind that on some servers, IP numbers are shared, and you may be punished for others' wrongdoing.

If you've tried all the above and the IP number isn't the problem, I'm not sure what to suggest, sorry.

Good luck!

m.e.
m.e.
PL Nut

* ! SUCCESS ! * AOL mailing going through

Postby badlael » 12:10pm, Thu 01 Feb, 2007

Thanks to all for the posts. The last change did the trick.

A very helpful employee (Thanks Charles) at my isp reconfigured the mail server to generate the header (envelope-from <news_at_harleyofknoxville>)
This did the trick. Prior to his reconfiguring the mail server, AOL was reading the ](envelope-from <nobody_at_server1>)and rejecting. See header below for complete header that AOL doesn't like.

Received: from server1.knox3.com ([65.254.32.202])
by alnrmxc21.comcast.net (alnrmxc21) with ESMTP
id <20070129170956a2100nceive>; Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:09:56 +0000
X-Originating-IP: [65.254.32.202]
Received: from nobody by server1.knox3.com with local (Exim 4.63)
(envelope-from <nobody_at_server1>)
id 1HBa0E-0007mX-FU
[/b]
badlael
phpList newbie

Postby dwalley » 2:37pm, Thu 15 Feb, 2007

Can someone help me with my AOL issue:

I can send a newsletter to all on my list but I have a user that is still using AOL to get his mail. If I attach a PDF file to the newsletter he recieves it as a MIME file. I need to find a fix for this. Is there a quick fix???
dwalley
phpLister

Postby lsander » 2:59am, Fri 23 Feb, 2007

I, too, have problems sending attachments to AOL. My mail gets through, or at least it does to two AOL accounts that I own.

When I send a text email with a photo attached to an AOL address, the address of the photo appears at the end of the email. If I copy the address and paste it into the AOL address bar, nothing happens. I can paste the same address into IE7's address bar, and the site with the photo opens with no problem.

When I send an HTML email with an photo attachment to an AOL address, the photo comes through as a MIME file, and AOL can't open it.

I'm looking for a fix that won't require me to learn all about SPF's and the intricacies of Internet email.
lsander
PL Geek

Return to Question & Problems - after installing