User tracking not working ?

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

User tracking not working ?

Postby shumisha » 10:19am, Fri 09 Feb, 2007

Hello All !

I am using 2.10.2, and I've been doing so for a while. I had not used usertracking previously, and all of a sudden I realised this was a stupid thing.
So I set it up on a small test list, and it is not showing expected results. I am probably missing something obvious, but I could not find anything on the forum :

1 - I added a [USERTRACK] tag in my message. It's working, as I can find the tracker in the messages I receive (xxxxxxxxxxx.com/lists/ut.php?u=1731dad303d953cb1a820&m=109" width="1" height="1" border="0")

2 - I expected to see a small additional table in the sent message list, showing the viewing statistics, but nothing showed up, not only the results are missing, but even the table itself. So I tried to activate Click tracking (note that I want to use only user tracking for now, not click tracking), and that added a statistics menu.
3 - Using the Statistics menu, I could view a table showing all messages, date sent, number of emails sent, # of bounces.
4 - Then I opened 3 messages in my email software (Outlook), came back to the stat screen, refreshed, and nothing has changed, no update on the viewing count.

I am missing something obvious ? or is it just outlook blocking this ? Please note also that Outlook is configured to display images, and that my test messages do has an image (embedded not online)

Thanks for any help
shumisha
PL Geek

Postby H2B2 » 3:11pm, Fri 09 Feb, 2007

Note: User tracking has some limitations, as it's effectiveness depends on the recipients being on line when viewing the message. Also keep in mind that the configuration of the recipient's email client or webmail application may prevent images from being loaded when viewing messages. User tracking can only be used with HTML messages.

Source: http://docs.phplist.com/MessageTracking

Where you online when opening the message in outlook? The (web)mail client must be configured to allow loading of non-embedded images.
H2B2

Postby shumisha » 3:32pm, Fri 09 Feb, 2007

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I have read that doc, and I am also familiar with the way tracking is done. But the answer is yes to both : I was online, and Outlook displays non-embedded images, as can be verified from other newsletter or messages I receive on the same adress using online images (I just checked again with an eBay message).

Back to the documentation : it states that on sent message list I should have an additional small table with two lines : Viewed and Unique views. However I don't have that table at all. What do you think (remember this is 2.10.2)

Regards
shumisha
PL Geek

Postby H2B2 » 3:51pm, Fri 09 Feb, 2007

Hard to say. There is an issue with the tracker code in the messages being modified by some mailscanner software (outgoing or incoming), thus effectively disabling usertracking.
Ref:
http://mantis.phplist.com/view.php?id=7683
http://mantis.phplist.com/view.php?id=8786

But assuming you checked that the message tracker code is unaltered, there must be another reason why message open statistics are not displayed.
You might check the user's history to see whether message open statistics are or are not displayed there.
You can also find some additional message open info for each individual user, by loading the user's history page. These include the date and time of the latest view, and the response time in seconds between the time the message was sent and last viewed.
source: http://docs.phplist.com/MessageStatisticsInfo
It seems to me this, as well as message open statistics being displayed on the sent messages tab, is valid for 2.10.2.
H2B2

Postby shumisha » 4:39pm, Fri 09 Feb, 2007

Well, I actually checked for one particular user I have created for test, and indeed the tracking image is unaltered, I get the correct user id in ut.php?=xxxxxx.
I also checked this user history, and starting at the right message, I get a link to view the number of openings. But this number is zero.

I need to work more on this !
shumisha
PL Geek

Postby H2B2 » 4:54pm, Fri 09 Feb, 2007

Not sure whether this applies, but perhaps customization/modifications of the original code might have affected the correct functioning of user tracking?

You could consider checking this with a separate fresh test install.
H2B2

Postby shumisha » 9:10pm, Fri 09 Feb, 2007

Sorry for all the trouble. I could have spotted that one earlier. It is just that for some reason I am missing the target file : ut.php. No wonder it is not working ! :?
I'll try find some old download and fetch ut.php, lt.php and dl.php for my version 2.10.2
Again, sorry for the trouble.
shumisha
PL Geek

Postby gasoline » 10:27am, Tue 06 Mar, 2007

Did you change your config.php file? (config/config.php)

You have to 'enable' this function by hand in this file.
gasoline
PL Nut

Postby shumisha » 10:43am, Tue 06 Mar, 2007

Hi Gasoline,

Thanks for your answer. As mentionned above, the issue was a no-issue. I had removed the ut.php file from /lists/admin, and this file is the one processing user tracking, so that was not working.
I had actually removed all files from /lists/admin for security reasons, as I was not using the corresponding functions before (user tracking, link tracking, online subscribe and unsubscribe)
As soon as I put back ut.php where it was supposed to be, everything worked fine.
shumisha
PL Geek

Postby gasoline » 10:49am, Tue 06 Mar, 2007

:D
gasoline
PL Nut

Return to Question & Problems - after installing