Problems with the sign-up page

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

Problems with the sign-up page

Postby mag72 » 10:23pm, Sat 14 Apr, 2007

I've tried many different configurations of the sign-up page, and none seem to work. I can add users via the admin panel, and I can send out e-mail, so I think PHPList is installed OK.

Here is a brand-new, unedited sign up page I just created: http://michiganjapan.com/wordpress/lists/?p=subscribe&id=4

Fill it out, press the button, and you are taken to a blank page. No user is added to the list. I've tried fooling around with this thing for hours and hours with now luck...any ideas?
mag72
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 10:34pm, Sat 14 Apr, 2007

Apparently the blank page issue is not related to your custom form, but something else. Did you activate the list (newsletter)?

I also noticed that your phplist generated subscribe form contains a custom attribute for the email field (i.e. attribute1). Phplist already has a field called "email". So remove/de-activate attribute1 from your subscribe page, both custom and phplist generated.
H2B2

Postby mag72 » 11:02pm, Sat 14 Apr, 2007

Yes, the list is active.

Edited the e-mail field, thanks for that tip. Still doesn't work though....still get the blank page. How annoying...
mag72
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 11:21pm, Sat 14 Apr, 2007

Your form still refers to listID 1:
Code: Select all
<input type="hidden" name="list[1]" value="signup">
<input type="hidden" name="listname[1]" value="MJPA Main"/>

Try adding a list and refer to that new list in your subscribe page.
H2B2

Postby H2B2 » 12:35am, Sun 15 Apr, 2007

After your PM I had a look at the admin backend. Did some tests. Only thing wrong I could find is this error message when checking your database (lists/admin/?page=dbcheck):
Database error 1146 while doing query Table 'your_database.phplist_user_blacklist_data' doesn't exist

You could try initializing the database again (main page > setup ), and see if that fixes the problem, but you will probably loose the configuration changes you made so far. I would suggest you first make a complete backup as described in the docs: http://docs.phplist.com/BackupDatabase
H2B2

Postby H2B2 » 12:47am, Sun 15 Apr, 2007

Database error 1146 while doing query Table 'your_database.phplist_user_blacklist_data' doesn't exist

Hmm, I think you might take a look at this report in the issue tracker http://mantis.phplist.com/print_bug_pag ... ug_id=8583
0008583: Unable to install with UTF-8 database using MySql 4.1

Description:
Mysql limit the index lenght to 1000 bytes.
The index created for email and name exceed 1000 bytes.
MySql shell:
create database php_list_test charset utf8;

From web interface:
Database error 1146 while doing query Table 'php_list_test.phplist_user_blacklist_data' doesn't exist

Initialising table user_blacklist_data
Database error 1071 while doing query Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes
... failed

The offending query is:
CREATE TABLE phplist_user_blacklist_data (
email varchar(255) not null unique,name varchar(100) not null,data text,index emailidx (email),index ema
ilnameidx (email,name)

See also:
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=4541 [^]

Additional Information:
Quick and diry fix (don't know the consequences), create the dabase manually and:
a) Use a shorter name.
b) Skip the creation of the index index emailnameidx (email,name)
H2B2

Postby mag72 » 4:24am, Mon 16 Apr, 2007

Thanks for your time and help H2B2.

Reinitialized the database--no help.

Fixed the database error by manually putting in the table--no help.

I'm going to try to completely uninstall the database and program over and start from scratch this time. I'll let you know how it turns out.

EDIT: Yup, that fixed it. Deleted the database, deleted the code, reinstalled--now it works. Strange.
mag72
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 10:59pm, Thu 19 Apr, 2007

Glad to hear that re-installing fixed this issue. Might have been caused by a corrupted file. This can be hard to debug sometimes.
H2B2

Postby adenicola » 3:54pm, Tue 08 May, 2007

I seem to be having the same problem. I installed phplist and when I go to register it gives me a blank white page and doesn't add the person to the database.

I have tried deleting the phplist software and the tables in mySql and reinstalling, however I am still getting a blank page :(

As I am new here I can't post links, but the page is up on "makingadotcom"+"."+"com"+"/lists"
adenicola
phpList newbie

Return to Question & Problems - after installing