Test emails not sending html - only text version

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

Test emails not sending html - only text version

Postby metoo » 4:45am, Wed 02 May, 2007

I have several different templated emails going out to different user lists. Other than the actual wording, they are identical. All are logged in as the super admin. Each has a text version, and templated html version. All the settings - html, email address for testing, etc. are identical. Users have all been reconciled to be html. For 2 of the 8, I get both an html & text test email (as I should). On the other 6 all I get is the text email - no html version. I'd like to make sure the html versions look ok and will work before sending. Why would it do this? All the settings are EXACTLY the same for all of them - the only difference is the template's actual text and who the email (list) is going to. I'm not getting any error codes. I've even put working/non working files side by side and their code is pretty much identical. If it's a setting woudn't it be global to all lists? Thanks for any help figuring this out.
metoo
phpLister

Postby cip37 » 8:18am, Mon 07 May, 2007

Similar problem.
I have a single html template and a list of user.
after i upload the template i can send it as html 1 or 2 times and all user receive it. After that, if I resend they all receive it as text.
no clue why this happen
cip37
phpList newbie

Postby metoo » 12:21am, Wed 09 May, 2007

At first I thought it might be because the test message wasn't the user list. So I added it. Once I did that now it doesn't send anything at all on the ones it DID send plain text before. Getting the error Sent test mail to: emailaddy failed. Anyone????
metoo
phpLister

Postby metoo » 4:26pm, Thu 10 May, 2007

Ahhh, think I've figure it out! I apparently had logged in as admin to create some of the messages and my user for others. When I was in admin it wasn't working for the user files, and visa-versa. I don't see anywhere where it tells you what it was created under, but it apparently matters. The files updated, were changed fine, but I couldn't sent test emails properly. Weird bug!
metoo
phpLister

Postby metoo » 5:29pm, Mon 14 May, 2007

Nope, wasn't it after all...it seems only 3 at a time will go out correctly and every so often it changes which 3. Some don't even go out at all. This doesn't make any sense at all. Is there a global somewhere that only allows for 3 different test emails within a certain period of time? Anyone know?
metoo
phpLister

Re: Test emails not sending html - only text version

Postby TomTom » 9:30pm, Tue 29 Apr, 2014

I frequently send newsletters at work using PHPList and this problem seems to happen randomly.

I'm on a Mac and using PHPList (ver. 2.10.12) via the Chrome browser (ver. 34.0.1847.131).

So far my best guess has been that:
1. there's some character or word that PHPList doesn't like
2. there's some error in my html that I just can't see and that PHPList can't parse

Since I use the same templates over and over and only the text content changes, that makes me think it's not #2.

If anyone was able to figure this out, I'd be really grateful if you could post about it. Thanks for your help.
TomTom
phpList newbie

Return to Question & Problems - after installing