Why is there horizontal scrolling on my subscription page

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

Why is there horizontal scrolling on my subscription page

Postby karstenwentink » 12:53pm, Sat 05 May, 2007

Hi guys,

I've got a really strange situation. I have included the newsletter subscription page on my website, which for technical reasons works with frames (I know, I'm sorry). However. I made it so that the layout fits with the rest of the layout of the site. And everything works at my home computer, both in Explorer and Firefox. However my friend informed me that with an older version of Explorer there is a horizontal scroll bar present for no clear reason!!!

We have tried everything, if we clear the header of the public pages the scrollbare goes away, but if I only insert a simple image the scroll bar pops up, it is very anoying.

Strangly the unsubscribe page seems to work fine however!!!???

It makes no sence to me and I do not understand what's going on.

If anyone has an idea, please let me know

My site by the way: sidestone[dot]com (I'm not alowed to post URL's) just click on "subscribe to the newsletter"

thanks
karstenwentink
phpLister

Re: Why is there horizontal scrolling on my subscription pag

Postby H2B2 » 2:54pm, Sat 05 May, 2007

karstenwentink wrote:However my friend informed me that with an older version of Explorer there is a horizontal scroll bar present for no clear reason!!!

I checked http://sidestone.com/en/base_newsletter.html with FF 1.5.0.11 and IE 5.5 and couldn't see any horizontal scroll bar. If your friend used an older IE version, I guess the problem wouldn't be that big given that very few people are using these old versions.

If you think you need more control over the html code, you could consider using a custom form as described in: http://docs.phplist.com/CustomSubscribeForm
H2B2

Example

Postby karstenwentink » 7:14pm, Sat 05 May, 2007

Yes, it only appears in IE 6.0 with a 1024 pixels screen size, as you can see in the screendump.

I checked it at browsershots [dot] org and IE 6.0 is the only one that comes up with the horizontal scrolbar for no apparent reason. Although I know Microsoft software usually does strange things for no apparent reason it is still annoying.

karsten

hmm. attaching files doesn't seem to work...
see website: home <dot> wanadoo <dot> nl /karstenwentink/screendump_ie-6.0.png (sorry, still not allowed to post URL's)
karstenwentink
phpLister

Problem fixed

Postby karstenwentink » 6:53am, Wed 09 May, 2007

I fixed the problem by fully customizing the subscription page as suggested above, thanks for that. Still don't know why explorer 6.0 had difficulties with it though.

thanks
karstenwentink
phpLister

Return to Question & Problems - after installing