SOLVED: PHPList Hosted problems

Questions related to the phpList Hosted service

SOLVED: PHPList Hosted problems

Postby balipadda » 12:50am, Fri 15 Oct, 2010

Hi folks,

I've just started using the phplist hosted beta package as I'm not tech savvy enough to install it on my own backend.

I'm having the following problems and if someone could help me with them, I would greatly appreciated it:

1. reply-to is set to "listmaster@phplist.com" and I can't find anywhere to change that in any of the configuration settings

2. I can't set my website address or domain name, as the configuration page only gives options from "Person in charge of this system" onwards

3. 2 version were being sent out (text & html) to each recipient. I have done list reconcile and marked everyone to receive html emails. I've now tried resending to a small list of 4 users and nothing has been sent so far (it's been nearly 40 minutes) - not even a system message saying the campaign has started.

that's it for now. I'll probably have some other technical creases to iron out.

This is a great system, but seems far too fiddly.

Cheers,
Bali.
Last edited by balipadda on 3:39am, Mon 25 Oct, 2010, edited 1 time in total.
balipadda
phpList newbie

Re: PHPList Hosted problems

Postby H2B2 » 3:09am, Fri 15 Oct, 2010

Well, I just signed up to a Free phpList Hosted (PLH) account to get a better picture of the differences with a normal phpList install. Nice and sleek interface, I must say.

balipadda wrote:1. reply-to is set to "listmaster@phplist.com" and I can't find anywhere to change that in any of the configuration settings

You shoud be able to change this on the configuration page. See Reply-to email address for system messages (....hosted.phplist.com/lists/admin/?page=configure&id=message_replyto_address)

balipadda wrote:2. I can't set my website address or domain name, as the configuration page only gives options from "Person in charge of this system" onwards

Since all PLH packages are a subdomain of hosted.phplist.com, automatically created on sign-up (e.g. example.hosted.phplist.com), you cannot change this setting.
If you want to link back to your own website, try entering the link in the footer of the public pages and subscribe pages.
See also: viewtopic.php?p=79776#p79776

balipadda wrote:3. 2 version were being sent out (text & html) to each recipient.

This might be related to sending a 'test message'. See the FAQ for more info.

balipadda wrote:I have done list reconcile and marked everyone to receive html emails. I've now tried resending to a small list of 4 users and nothing has been sent so far (it's been nearly 40 minutes) - not even a system message saying the campaign has started.

phpList will not send the same message twice to the same users. If you requeue the message, it will only be sent to newly subscribed users, i.e. users that didn't yet receive that message.
Keep in mind that phpList distinguishes messages by their message ID, not by their contents. So even if you change the message contents, phpList still identifies it as the same message.
You will need to create a new message (new campaign) and send it to your list.
H2B2

Re: SOLVED: PHPList Hosted problems

Postby balipadda » 3:42am, Mon 25 Oct, 2010

Many thanks for your response.

I had taken into account all those things you mentioned and I was still having issues (reply-to, double emails - even for non-tests), but now they are fixed somehow.

And thanks for letting me know about re-queued messages, that explains it!

Cheers.
balipadda
phpList newbie

Re: SOLVED: PHPList Hosted problems

Postby DaGoose1 » 3:58pm, Thu 03 Nov, 2011

OK. I have spent several hours trying to eliminate listmaster@domain and have something more personalized so the reply-to doesn't look like it came from a listserv/listmaster.

THE ANSWER
You need to include both the display name and the reply-to address you wish the recipient to see In the "From Line:" field.

So...
1. Click on "Send A Message" on the right hand column to create a new message
2. In the Text Box "From Line:" Enter the name you wish the recipients will see followed by the email address you want as the reply to:

For Example
Fill in From Line: Marks & Spencer david@marksandspencer.com

Send off the email to yourself. You will see both the correct sender and reply to show up. Hope this helps.
DaGoose1
phpList newbie

Return to phpList Hosted