500 internal server error

Questions & Problems about Installing or Upgrading Version 2 phpList
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

500 internal server error

Postby AWMC » 9:10pm, Fri 09 Dec, 2011

[scratching my head]

I can't figure it out after 2 days of fiddling.

I've installed PHPBB, PHPMailer, Joomla, WordPress, Invision Power Boards and ListMessenger with out problems on many different servers.

This is the first time I have tried PHPList and it is by far the most difficult time I have had trying to install.

[/scratching my head]

I'm not sure where I should head now
AWMC
phpLister

Re: 500 internal server error

Postby duncanc » 10:01pm, Fri 09 Dec, 2011

You haven't explained when the error occurs, is it always or only on particular pages, but this topic gives some possible solutions to 500 errors http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24748.
duncanc

Postby AWMC » 10:47pm, Fri 09 Dec, 2011

duncanc wrote:You haven't explained when the error occurs, is it always or only on particular pages, but this topic gives some possible solutions to 500 errors http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24748.

My bad, I get the error when I try to access the main index or the Admin.

Currently I uploaded the files with the /config/config.php database variables and page root variables edited.

When I try to access the /admin to get the install running I get the error.

I've gone to all the help sections and looked. I'm still unsure what it wrong.

I think it may be the:
$pageroot = '/news';
$adminpages = '/news/admin';
I wanted the dir to be news instead of lists but I am not sure.
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, admin@rockisland.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Here is the error, I'm sure yo have read it a billion times.
AWMC
phpLister

Postby duncanc » 8:17am, Sat 10 Dec, 2011

Changing the path to be 'news' instead of 'lists' is alright.

Do you have access to the server log to see whether there is anything reported there?

Have you commented out the line in the .htaccess file as described in point 2 of the topic I referred to?
I always have to do that after a new install.

The other possibility is that you have introduced a php syntax error when editing config.php, although I am not sure if that leads to a 500 error. But review the changes that you made to the file.
duncanc

Postby AWMC » 9:09pm, Mon 12 Dec, 2011

Thanks for the input.

I contacted my Host last week and over the weekend he found

• the .htaccess file had embedded character returns (^M) which is often due to uploading in binary mode text files. I stripped those out and was able to get rid of the server error.
  • global directory to prevent directory indexing. This was something I had to do last week to resolve a security audit, I re-enabled indexing and that allowed the .htaccess file to be processed.
I uploaded the files with ftp as I normally upload. So I'm not sure where the first issue cam from.
I hope others may see the issue and look for it if they are having the same issue. I know I looked at all the 500 error threads I could to see if Anyone else had the same issue I had.

I am now in and Apologize for any bold comments I may have made in my frustration.

PHPList looks a lot like List Messenger. I'm sure it will work fine for us.
AWMC
phpLister

Postby RAYNAU » 5:17pm, Tue 03 Jan, 2012

I got the same problem.
So am I, I have installed many systems, but here I cannot understand.
I have configured correctly the config.php and also the htaccess in the directory is ok, I have checked them with mx, so the registration is correct.
Database host and database name etc... are correct.
As soon as I try to login in order to upload the files I got the message : Error 500 - Internal server error.

I have not changed the directory wich is still lists in the starting of the website.
For the guy before, it was coming from an htaccess, so I shall check all of them, but there are a lot !!!
RAYNAU
PL Master

Postby RAYNAU » 5:47pm, Tue 03 Jan, 2012

I have founded the solution.
Important remark - Apache are now quite used. And it is a pity that this remark is not noticed in the installation process. I have lost about one full day for only installing this program. Now, it seems ok, and it seems me a powerfull engine.

. Error 500! This usually means that your host is running an apache module for added security and the line in the lists/.htaccess file "php_flag magic_quotes_gpc on" needs either moving to a php.ini file, removing or "reming" (REMarkING) by prefixing the line with a hash. eg: "#php_flag magic_quotes_gpc on"

The php.ini file is one you usually have to create, again in a TEXT editor, and put in magic_quotes_gpc = on and save it to the lists folder as php.ini.

So I have done as follows :
in the htaccess, I have put a # for the last line.
I have made a php.ini with only that line :
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc=on

And I have been in a position to install the program.

By the way, I have checked all the htacess which are given and I have remarked that many of them have one or two blanck lines at the end.

Hope that I am out of hell !!!
RAYNAU
PL Master

Postby RAYNAU » 8:14pm, Wed 04 Jan, 2012

Here is the global solution :

In order to be in a position to install phplist, the .htaccess must be
changed as follows :
DirectoryIndex index.php

<FilesMatch "\.(php|inc)$">
Order allow,deny
deny from all
</FilesMatch>
<FilesMatch "(index.php|dl.php|ut.php|lt.php|download.php)$">
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</FilesMatch>
#php_flag magic_quotes_gpc on

in fact the last line must be blocked.

Then a php.ini must be created with the following line :

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc=on

and it runs
RAYNAU
PL Master

Postby Gordon Sturrock » 3:47am, Wed 04 Apr, 2012

Raynau, this WORKED for me! Thank you!
Gordon Sturrock
phpLister

Postby goldenaxis » 7:57am, Fri 06 Apr, 2012

Hi there,
Thanks a lot for above information. Although I have done all described above, I'm still having trouble with 500 Internal Server Error!

What else shall I do? Could you please help?
goldenaxis
phpList newbie

Postby duncanc » 8:04am, Fri 06 Apr, 2012

If you have followed the guidance here http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24748 then I suggest raising the problem with your hosting company to look in the php error log for the cause.

I have found though, that simply commenting out the line in .htaccess to be sufficient. I have not had to create the php.ini file as described.
duncanc

Postby andrade » 1:28pm, Tue 18 Dec, 2012

I don't know what else to do.. I've already enabled magic-quotes and ajusted the permissions.

magic_quotes_gpc On On
magic_quotes_runtime On On
magic_quotes_sybase On On

No error is show on php error_log

Any ideas?
andrade
phpList newbie

Postby Dragonrider » 6:37pm, Tue 18 Dec, 2012

andrade wrote:I don't know what else to do.. I've already enabled magic-quotes and ajusted the permissions.

magic_quotes_gpc On On
magic_quotes_runtime On On
magic_quotes_sybase On On

No error is show on php error_log

Any ideas?

Where have you made these changes? .htaccess file or php.ini file?
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
Latest phpList version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Postby andrade » 9:03pm, Tue 18 Dec, 2012

Php.Ini. but forget. I did just updated Php to newer version and magic quotes are not supported anymore.
andrade
phpList newbie

Return to Installing & Upgrading