Refusing admin password change

Questions & Problems about Installing or Upgrading Version 2 phpList
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

Refusing admin password change

Postby johnwargo » 8:47pm, Tue 06 Aug, 2013

I've installed phpList before with no issues. I just downloaded 2.10.19 and I'm trying to install it on a site I manage. I followed the instructions to install the files and started the install process via the browser. I got to the point where it doesn't see the database tables and I create them. Next I get the page that shows me the different steps which must be completed to finish the installation.

When I try to do the first step, which is changing the admin password, the system asks me to login then takes me to the page for editing the admin user. I set my new password and click the Save Changes button and it cycles me through the login process again then the edit process in an endless loop. It doesn't accept the changes and keeps cycling me through the process.

I emptied the database tables and whacked all of the files and completely restarted the installation with the same results.

Any idea what's happening here?
johnwargo
phpLister

Re: Refusing admin password change

Postby johnwargo » 10:47am, Thu 08 Aug, 2013

Anyone?

I wonder somehow if its a permissions problem? Nothing in the installation documentation says anything about what file and folder permissions need to be.
johnwargo
phpLister

Postby johnwargo » 11:39am, Thu 08 Aug, 2013

I just whacked everything a third time and tried it again. The database tables are getting created using the prefix I've defined. After initialization succeeds, I'm taken to a login page then to the setup page. It shows that the database tables have been created then gives me a list of options to complete to finish setup.

When I click on the Set Admin password, It prompts me to login again. After adding an email address for the Admin user and setting a password I'm prompted to login again then taken back to the edit admin page. It cycles through those steps over and over and over again - login, edit, login, edit, login, edit with no end in site.

I've even gone back and tried a different setup option and it's the same process and gets me nowhere.
johnwargo
phpLister

Postby johnwargo » 12:28am, Fri 09 Aug, 2013

Figured it out with Dragonrider's help. It was the PHP session.save_path configuration parameter. On FatCow, it is not configured correctly and can't write to the folder. Once you point it to a folder where the user has write rights, it works. Now I can change the admin password and finish the installation.
johnwargo
phpLister

Return to Installing & Upgrading