New user, moving to new domain

Questions & Problems about Installing or Upgrading Version 2 phpList
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

New user, moving to new domain

Postby sampolfonz » 4:42pm, Tue 27 Aug, 2013

Greetings,

I inherited a website built on Website Baker and I am moving to new design using Freeway Pro.

Curious if I can continue to use their mailing list in phplist software..

Can I:

1) continue using software, How much for royalty or licensing?
2) move lists folder to new domain
3) paste page code that would bring subscribing information to the new website layout
4) upgrade to newer version
5) compatibility with Go Daddy Servers

Thanks for any help,

Rich
sampolfonz
phpList newbie

Re: New user, moving to new domain

Postby Sven2157 » 3:16am, Wed 28 Aug, 2013

sampolfonz wrote:Can I:

1) continue using software, How much for royalty or licensing?
2) move lists folder to new domain
3) paste page code that would bring subscribing information to the new website layout
4) upgrade to newer version
5) compatibility with Go Daddy Servers

Hello Rich,

I can try to answer your questions:
  1. Yes, royalties are $1,000,000.00 USD, payable to me! 8) I'll take 1% now, and we'll call it even! LOL, just kidding, as far as I know phplist software is free to use under the GPL, or General Public License.
  2. Yes, you can move your lists folder to a new location/domain. You must make sure that you adjust the admin settings and configuration files accordingly.
  3. Not sure what you mean here, but as far as copying and pasting other code goes; as long as it is not violating someone else's intellectual property( © copyright ), you should be good.
  4. Of course you can upgrade! :wink: As ALWAYS be sure to back up your site files and database.
  5. Compatibility with GoDaddy is dependent on your hosting plan, but will work with all of their Linux plans. Windows has not yet perfected php hosting, but is uber close!
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Hope that helps! :wink:

Sven2157
Sven2157
PL Master

Postby sampolfonz » 3:59pm, Wed 28 Aug, 2013

Sven,

Hey....thanks for the reply.

I have moved the PhpList program file to the new layout of the site I am working on. Strange behavior a bit on that page,

http://www.indianaactivitydirectors.org/subscribe.php

If you look at the bottom of the page you will see the subscribe box, which on my layout is in an iFrame and for some reason is pushing to the bottom of the layout. I can't understand this; I have it positioned at the top of my Freeway layout.

Also, I would like to change the color scheme of the artwork to match my page. Is this possible or allowable under copyright restrictions? I want to get rid of the orange and bring in gold and blue to match my page layout.

When I was asking about pasting code (3) I was meaning where to find the page layout inside phplist. I found the link and pasted inside the iFrame on my layout....this is what I was referencing.

If I upgrade I will back up the folder and the db, but where can I find what the db is so that I can identify it and save the correct one? I had a db for the website baker site, but where is the db for the phplist...or is it the same one?

Thanks for the help.

Rich
sampolfonz
phpList newbie

Postby Sven2157 » 5:26pm, Wed 28 Aug, 2013

Depending on which browser you are using( This month, I recommend Google Chrome ) you can use the developers tools to inspect the page.

Using Chrome, I right clicked the 'blank' area, and chose 'Inspect Element'. This opened a development section along the bottom of my browser and revealed this:
Code: Select all
<td style="padding:10px">
  <p class="f-fp f-lp">
    <span id="item1">
      <p align="left" class="_lp">
        <iframe src="http://www.indianaactivitydirectors.org/lists/?p=subscribe" name="Subscribe to" width="752" height="469" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
      </p>
    </span>
  </p>
</td>

That <span id="item1"> is the culprit. The element associated with the id 'item1' has a CSS rule as follows:
#item1 {
    display: inline-block;
    position: relative;
    width: 752px;
    height: 469px;
}

The other cool thing about the dev tools, is you can edit the CSS, HTML ,etc, etc right there to see what effects it has on the page; while not making any real changes. So I changed the display to none. It brought the subscibe page up to the top. BUT! it also leaves your left menu hanging in the wind ...

So you may want to create another CSS rule - creating another rule will allow you to edit this, while having NO effect on other spans that may be using this current rule - , call it maybe 'item1_phplist' and set it, something like:
#item1_phplist {
    display: none;
    position: relative;
    width: 100%;
}

Then change that span to call, 'item1_phplist', and in your iframe set the height to about 640:
<iframe src="http://www.indianaactivitydirectors.org/lists/?p=subscribe" name="Subscribe to" width="100%" height="640" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no">You need iframes turned on to see this page!</iframe>
'

To change the look of the Subscriber Page, go to your admin section, Config >> Subscribe pages. Now create a new one, or edit the existing one.

You can find the database connection strings in '<ROOT>/config/config.php'. Right at the very beginning. Use a GOOD text editor( NOT WINDOWS NOTEPAD! ) to inspect and edit your files locally; that is, if you don't have a Web IDE( Integrated Development Environment ), like Adobe Dreamweaver or something. I highly recommend the always free, Notepad ++

Sven2157
Sven2157
PL Master

Return to Installing & Upgrading