Blank page on install with changed and original config.php

Questions & Problems about Installing or Upgrading with Version 3 phpList.
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation.

Blank page on install with changed and original config.php

Postby sostberg » 9:20am, Thu 04 Sep, 2014

Hey guys,

Although I guess, this is a question that comes up every now and then, I still didn't find the answer...
I copied all files and folders to this subfolder: domain.de/phplist. Then I changed everything as needed in the config.php, but I only get a blank page, when I try to open domain.de/phplist/admin/index.php
I checked and rechecked the config.php for errors like missing ; or so, but didn't find anything. So, I replaced the config.php with an original one, where I didn't change anything, not even the database information. But I still get a blank page, not even an error message like database not found...
The folder access settings are 755, file setting 644 or 604. The page is hosted on 1&1, the PHP version is 5.4.

I would be happy if you could help me with hints...
sostberg
phpLister

Re: Blank page on install with changed and original config.p

Postby sostberg » 9:30am, Fri 05 Sep, 2014

Any one any hints?

Thanks!
sostberg
phpLister

Postby duncanc » 9:58am, Fri 05 Sep, 2014

On your hosting control panel there should be an icon for "error log" or similar. There might be some indication there of the problem.

Also, sometimes errors are written to the file "errors.log" which might be in the phplist directory.
duncanc

Postby danwaterloo » 11:24am, Fri 05 Sep, 2014

The fact that you are getting a blank page would indicate to me that your config.php has an error in it... i.e. a typing error on a line, or a missing closing to a comment, etc.
You might want to try breaking the problem down to very simple tests, and work your way up to where it doesn't work..
1. make a simple index.html file, put it in the /phplist directory, and see if the web server displays it.
2. if so move it to the /phplist/admin directory and see if the web server displays it (be sure to put the full url to your index.html file into the address bar in your browser.

If all is well, then the server is working ok.

3. download a copy of phpinfo.php file, and repeat 1 and 2 with the phpinfo.php

If all is well, then php is configured ok.

4. use the original 'config.php' (the small one), and put it in your phplist/config directory, and then see if the page shows up (even an error page).

if you don't get a page (it's blank), look at the source of the page to see if there are any 'hints' on where it failed.

Basically, if you fail on step 4, then it's either:
- the installation has a 'broken' file or the permissions aren't right on the folders (and sub folders) of the install. erase everything and reinstall, with default config.php
- the config.php has a small typo in it...
danwaterloo
PL Master

Postby sostberg » 12:28pm, Fri 05 Sep, 2014

Thanks for your replies!
@duncanc
Unfortunately I don't get an error.log from 1&1. The regular log doesn't show anything else than file opened or so.

@danwaterloo
I did steps 1 and 2, and everything is fine.
Step 3 also works.
Step 4: As I wrote I already did that, but I only get a blank page, not even an error message. I used the original config.php and didn't change anything... I also checked it for typos.

What should be the correct permissions? For all folders and all files?
sostberg
phpLister

Postby danwaterloo » 1:13pm, Fri 05 Sep, 2014

Did you look at the source of the 'blank page'... ?
Sometimes there is something there but it doesn't display anything.

as far as permissions, your directories should be readable by your web server... in my case, it's 664, and the pages are owned by 'root'.

as a test, you can temporarily make all the files and directories 777. If you still have a problem, I'd back up to the beginning, delete the directory and contents, and start with a fresh install. Hook it up to a new database, when all is working, you can restore your settings from your old config.php file (database and email server, etc.)
danwaterloo
PL Master

Postby sostberg » 10:33am, Tue 09 Sep, 2014

Hey Dan,

Thanks a lot for your reply!
The source is empty, so obviously there is no file loaded. I just set every file and directory to 777, but the result is the same...

I think I have to try everything new...
sostberg
phpLister

Postby sostberg » 2:05pm, Tue 09 Sep, 2014

Hey guys,

I copied everything new now. And without having changed anything I still get just a blank page (with empty source code).
I also tried it with all permissions set to 777, but it was no difference. No error message, nothing.

What now?
sostberg
phpLister

Postby danwaterloo » 2:17pm, Tue 09 Sep, 2014

What are you using for the database settings (you should be using the default one that comes with phpList).

Without a database setup, it should show that there is an error contacting the database.
If you are not getting anything at all, perhaps something is preventing the php from executing.
make sure your selinux is turned off...
danwaterloo
PL Master

Postby sostberg » 3:25pm, Tue 09 Sep, 2014

I finally made a step ahead! And as I thought, it was a stupid problem: the 1&1 servers differenciate between upper case and lower case. The entire code is written in lower case, but all files and folders were upper case.

Now this is the recent situation: With the unchanged config.php I get the message that the database settings are wrong (Which is good, since it seems to work). When I change nothing else than the database settings, I get a blank page again, without code.
Also when I adjust the pageroot to '/phplist' (the total path is "www.example.com/phplist") I get a white page. As soon as I change anything in the database settings, I get a database error message. So, obviously I can connect to the database, but after that it somehow stops...
sostberg
phpLister

Postby danwaterloo » 4:56pm, Tue 09 Sep, 2014

Good, we're making progress.
Did you create a new database? create a database, and a user/password for the database, and put the info in the default config.php file.... the software should want to initialize the database. once that happens, we're getting closer
danwaterloo
PL Master

Postby sostberg » 7:34am, Wed 10 Sep, 2014

I have a new unused database. As I said with the settings entered in the default config.php I get a blank page without code, unfortunately... So, there must be something like a stop after the database connection.
sostberg
phpLister

Postby danwaterloo » 7:49am, Wed 10 Sep, 2014

did you turn off your selinux?
danwaterloo
PL Master

Postby sostberg » 9:01am, Wed 10 Sep, 2014

Unfortunately I have no idea, where / how / if I can do that...
I didn't find anything for doing this on a 1&1 shared server.
sostberg
phpLister

Postby sostberg » 1:24pm, Wed 10 Sep, 2014

Update: When I try to find out the SELinux state, I get "No such file or directory". According to this thread SELinux is disabled then.
If it is so, it isn't a SELinux problem...
sostberg
phpLister

Next

Return to Installing and Upgrading