advice about upgrading

Questions & Problems about Installing or Upgrading with Version 3 phpList.
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation.

Re: advice about upgrading

Postby duncanc » 3:46pm, Fri 06 Mar, 2015

I'm a bit puzzled by that as I expected both config files refer to the same database.

But you can do a password reset on the login page. phplist will send an email that contains a link to a page where you can enter a new password.
duncanc

Postby pfb » 6:54pm, Fri 06 Mar, 2015

I'm really puzzled too, This was meant to be an upgrade.
I just copied (again) the old config.php into the new folder.
The old password did work, until I overwritt. I did not change any password.

Anyway, I was able to set a new password.

The old config.php now seems to be working all right.

Now, I'm still a bit confused about the settings for the folders, I'm not sure whether I need to change them or leave them alone.
The current settings from the old config.php are
Code: Select all
$pageroot = 'lists';
$adminpages = 'lists/admin';

with no reference to the website and single quotes.

In the admin pages, under general settings I have

Website address: http://www.institution.it/website/

where "website/" contains the website for our research group (and the lists folder).

It seems to me that you are suggesting the other way round, i.e.

$pageroot = "/website/lists'" (with double quotes)
Website address: http://www.institution.it/website/

Do you confirm that?

Thanks
pfb
PL Nut

Postby duncanc » 7:34pm, Fri 06 Mar, 2015

The way that you set those values for the original site, although it worked, wasn't the right way.

The web site address should be only the top level, with the folder structure specified in $pageroot.
So use the values that I gave including the leading / character. Whether you use single or double quotes to surround the value doesn't matter in this case.

website address should be www.institution.it
$pageroot should be "/website/lists"

$adminpages is no longer used.
duncanc

Postby pfb » 12:50pm, Sat 07 Mar, 2015

Hi duncanc,

I do not mean to be annoying, but are you sure about this?

The web site address should be only the top level,

Because this seems to "break" a series of dependent settings, such as the subscription settings at the bottom of the settings page.
That is, I noticed that if I set the web address field at the top of the page to "www.institution.it" -- as you suggest -- then the subscription settings become "http://www.institution.itlists/?p=subscribe" and obviously fails
I discovered this while experimenting with the [subscribe] placeholder.

I guess I could manually correct those links, but it does not feel right, because
there seems to be an automatic mechanism in place.
It appears that the links at the bottom of the settings page are of the form

"http://[WEBADDRESS]lists/?p=subscribe"

where [WEBADDRESS] is the argument of the "web address" field at the top of the page.

The fact that the $pageroot parameter in my config.php file is "/website/lists" -- as you suggest -- does not seem to affect this behavior.

Setting the web address in the config page to "www.institution.it/stat/" produces the correct subscription links at the bottom of the page "http://www.institution.it/stat/lists?p=subscribe".

Again, thanks a lot for your time and advice
Francesco
pfb
PL Nut

Postby duncanc » 1:12pm, Sat 07 Mar, 2015

In an earlier post I explained
You should also review the urls for signup, unsubscribe etc, in the Subscription group on the Settings page, as they may now also be incorrect.

But leave the settings as they are if they are now working for you.
duncanc

Postby pfb » 6:34pm, Sat 07 Mar, 2015

Doh, you're absolutely right... The only thing I can do is to apologize again. Sorry, I overlooked that bit.

The current settings seem to work, but I am willing to do the correct thing.
I asked once again because I did not notice your comment, and, judging by the way the setting page seems to work, I had the impression that one needed to specify the website folder.

But, if you do not mind answering to yet another stupid question, why is it better to set just the top level website address, and manually correcting the wrong links at the bottom of the settings page?

At the risk of trying your patience, I'm going to ask a further question, possibly related to the upgrade.
Was the first name one of the default subscriber attributes in the earlier versions of phplist?
Because recall setting the first name for some of my users, but I see no first names in the current list of subscriber. Just surname and institution. On the other hand I see all of the users, so it does not look like I have lost some in the upgrade. Probably I'm wrong, and there never was a first name default attribute.
pfb
PL Nut

Postby duncanc » 8:02pm, Sat 07 Mar, 2015

If you were installing phplist for the first time then the website address should be only the top level. Version 2.x seems to work if you include the next level and leave that out of $pageroot, but I am not sure that version 3 will work always. That is why I recommend using the "correct" approach and fixing the subscribe urls.

There aren't any default user attributes, so if you had a "first name" attribute then you must have created it. I don't think that the upgrade will have lost any data, but you could look at the backup file before the upgrade to confirm whether the attribute existed. Look for the user_attribute table.
duncanc

Previous

Return to Installing and Upgrading