Blacklist and advanced bounce rules?

Once you've installed phpList... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation.

Blacklist and advanced bounce rules?

Postby danwaterloo » 6:44pm, Tue 09 Sep, 2014

I'm using 3.0.7, and advanced bounce rules. It seems as though there are two kinds of blacklisting... one shows up as a 'headshot' and one shows up as a 'black envelope' when you search for users.

My questions are:
1. When I search for a user using an email address, the form says 'not blacklisted', but the advance bounce rule did report that it was blacklisted. What is the difference between the two, and can both be visible when viewing the user details?

2. If someone is blacklisted via the advanced bounce rules, is that taken into consideration on the next message when the person is on the list of addresses to send to... i.e. my example at the top is blacklisted via the bounce rules, but shows up as 'not blacklisted' and 'confirmed' when I look them up via the menus. Will that person get an email?

Thanks!
Dan
danwaterloo
PL Master

Re: Blacklist and advanced bounce rules?

Postby duncanc » 10:48am, Wed 10 Sep, 2014

I think that you might be looking at the difference between blacklisting a subscriber and blacklisting an email address.
My recollection is that blacklisting an email address doesn't seem to have any useful effect, as it does not stop phplist from sending to that email address. You should be using advanced bounce rules that blacklist the subscriber.
duncanc

Postby danwaterloo » 3:05am, Thu 11 Sep, 2014

Thanks Duncan. Do you know where the 'official blacklist' info is kept in the database tables? Each phplist_user_user has a field 'blacklisted' and there is also a table called phplist_user_blacklist that seems to have more people blacklisted then are marked in the phplist_user_user table. It's somewhat confusing...
danwaterloo
PL Master

Postby duncanc » 7:47pm, Thu 11 Sep, 2014

The blacklisted field on the user table is the one that affects whether a campaign is sent to a user.
duncanc

Return to Questions and Problems after Installing