Why is it taking so long to send ??????

Once you've installed phpList... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation.

Why is it taking so long to send ??????

Postby newage » 7:52am, Mon 17 Nov, 2014

Hi!
I created my first capmpaing, and sent a newsletter to 996 customers.
However 4 hours later it is still sending???? And it is just 996 customers. With Maxbulk mailer it would have taken not more than 10 minutes. God forbid if I have to use PHPlist to send newsletter to 2000-3000 people - it would take a week to process the queue!
Here's what I see on the screen right now: "1 messages sent in 193.89 seconds (18 msgs/hr)"

newage
phpLister

Re: Why is it taking so long to send ??????

Postby Cornwell » 4:04pm, Sat 22 Nov, 2014

Hello newage,
I think the reason it is taking so long is that it is working as designed.
Take a look at your config.php file and you will see
Code: Select all
# batch processing
# if you are on a shared host, it will probably be appreciated if you don't send
# out loads of emails in one go. To do this, you can configure batch processing.
# Please note, the following two values can be overridden by your ISP by using
# a server wide configuration. So if you notice these values to be different
# in reality, that may be the case

and a little lower down you will see
define('MAILQUEUE_THROTTLE',nn);
where nn is the number of seconds between messages. You can make it go faster by reducing this number but if you send them too fast you may get grief from your hosting service particularly if you are on a shared host. (Mine has an acceptable use policy of no more than 500/hour, so I set nn to 8, which works out at 450 messages/hour.)

Also if you start throwing messages at some ISPs at too high a rate they will assume you are spamming and none will get through and you may well be blacklisted. This is independent of the mailer you are using, so it would be the same with Maxbulk.
Cornwell
PL Geek

Postby newage » 9:28pm, Sat 22 Nov, 2014

Thank you for the tip. I wish this setting was in the configuration menu.
Once I start processing the campaign, do I have to keep the computer on untill everything is sent?

I opened config.php under lists/config but found no define('MAILQUEUE_THROTTLE',5); so I added it.

Cornwell wrote:Hello newage,
I think the reason it is taking so long is that it is working as designed.
Take a look at your config.php file and you will see
# batch processing
# if you are on a shared host, it will probably be appreciated if you don't send
# out loads of emails in one go. To do this, you can configure batch processing.
# Please note, the following two values can be overridden by your ISP by using
# a server wide configuration. So if you notice these values to be different
# in reality, that may be the case

and a little lower down you will see
define('MAILQUEUE_THROTTLE',nn);
where nn is the number of seconds between messages. You can make it go faster by reducing this number but if you send them too fast you may get grief from your hosting service particularly if you are on a shared host. (Mine has an acceptable use policy of no more than 500/hour, so I set nn to 8, which works out at 450 messages/hour.)

Also if you start throwing messages at some ISPs at too high a rate they will assume you are spamming and none will get through and you may well be blacklisted. This is independent of the mailer you are using, so it would be the same with Maxbulk.
newage
phpLister

Postby Dragonrider » 10:54am, Sun 23 Nov, 2014

newage wrote:Thank you for the tip. I wish this setting was in the configuration menu.
Once I start processing the campaign, do I have to keep the computer on untill everything is sent?

I opened config.php under lists/config but found no define('MAILQUEUE_THROTTLE',5); so I added it.

I think the reason this setting is not on the admin>configuration page is because if your have more that one superadmin, they could alter that and not necessarily know what the effect would be.

No, it is not in the new Quick Start config.php file but in the config-extended.php which is there to allow you to rename it config.php so you have every option in phplist available to you, or a handy place to copy and paste the code needed into the original config.php file.
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
Latest phpList version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Return to Questions and Problems after Installing