Unbelievably slow

Once you've installed phpList... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation.

Unbelievably slow

Postby bherrick » 7:31pm, Tue 24 Mar, 2015

So I'm new to phpList and the world of sending mass mailings. We have phpList 3.0.12, I've created a campaign to send to the 566 members of our organization, started the campaign a little over 7 hours ago and so far 88 messages have been sent with 478 to go.

When I installed phpList I was aware our host has a 400 message per hour limit so I researched and made these settings in config.php:

define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_SIZE",360);
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD",3600);
define('MAILQUEUE_THROTTLE',1);

7.5 hours and 88 messages? The event will be over before everyone knows about it. What have I done wrong?
bherrick
phpList newbie

Re: Unbelievably slow

Postby danwaterloo » 8:52pm, Tue 24 Mar, 2015

i'd look at the event log, and see if there are any clues...

'system', 'log of events'

is there anything 'interesting' in there?

The next thing to check is your email content... can you send a test email to me at dan@phplistsupport, and I'll look it over?

lastly, I'd probably change the throttle to a little less than 3600/360, or 9 secs, instead of 1 second.
danwaterloo
PL Master

Postby bherrick » 9:32pm, Tue 24 Mar, 2015

Event Log looks disjointed to me, but that may be my fault from lack of experience. I see a repeating sequence:
Processing Message 2
Looking for subscribers
Found them: 532 to process (BH - this number is decrementing)
Processing has started
One campaign to process.
Please leave this window open. phpList will process your queue until all messages have been sent. This may take a while (BH - This one puzzles me. Leave this window open?)
Report of processing will be sent by email

And this sequence repeats.
Made the change you suggested and sent you a test by starting another campaign. So while one campaign is running I can initiate another?
bherrick
phpList newbie

Postby danwaterloo » 11:05pm, Tue 24 Mar, 2015

thanks for sending the test message.

It looks fine, not too big.

Did you change the sending to the settings that I mentioned? You'll want to set the the queue processing to every 10 to 20 minutes...

Also, the message is a reminder that you need to keep the window open for the queue to keep processing. (unless you setup a cron job to do that).

Lastly, your settings are in the config.php file, (anything you put in the config_extended.php file will not be used). If you want to use some the the settings in config_extended.php file, you need to copy them over to the config.php file.

You can setup a new campaign, but the oldest one runs until it is done, and then the next oldest runs, etc...
danwaterloo
PL Master

Postby bherrick » 11:54pm, Tue 24 Mar, 2015

I thought I could build a campaign then schedule it to run whenever without any more intervention. So I have to build it but have an active connection to phpList for it to process? Just leave the browser open and it will happen? Looks like I have to learn about a cron job

"You'll want to set the the queue processing to every 10 to 20 minutes.." Is this done in the scheduling or in config.php? That's where I made the changes as you said.

Thanks for the prompt responses. You can tell by the date in the test that this was done in hurry-up mode. It's time to read the documentation.
bherrick
phpList newbie

Postby danwaterloo » 12:09am, Wed 25 Mar, 2015

The sending rate is controlled by the settings in the config.php file

You will need to keep your browser window open while its sending. Be sure to process the queue
danwaterloo
PL Master

Postby jake2013 » 4:37pm, Sun 29 Mar, 2015

bherrick wrote:I thought I could build a campaign then schedule it to run whenever without any more intervention. So I have to build it but have an active connection to phpList for it to process? Just leave the browser open and it will happen? Looks like I have to learn about a cron job

"You'll want to set the the queue processing to every 10 to 20 minutes.." Is this done in the scheduling or in config.php? That's where I made the changes as you said.

Thanks for the prompt responses. You can tell by the date in the test that this was done in hurry-up mode. It's time to read the documentation.

Hi, this a step-by-step tutorial on how to setup Cron Job in phpList
https://www.easycron.com/cron-job-tutor ... or-phplist
Hope this helps.
jake2013
phpLister

Return to Questions and Problems after Installing