Version 3.05 Amazon SES setup

Version 3 Solutions you have discovered or come across should go here. Questions should go in the other three Version 3 forums, thank you.
Forum rules
Please do not ask questions here, this is for Version 3 Solutions you have discovered or come across.

Version 3.05 Amazon SES setup

Postby dheffernaneire » 12:31pm, Wed 30 Oct, 2013

Hi All,

Just thought I'd share how to set up Amazon SES for version 3.05 (not the 2 series) as this as it seems to be an issue for most people.

Before you start...........
Click on "domain" (under verified senders)
Enter in the domain you want to host phplist on
You will then need to verify the domain. IF you have cpanel, log in and go to "advanced DNS zone editor"
Enter in the DNS sequence that you got from amazon i.e. name= "_amazonses......" TTL="14400" (not given so use 14400) type="TXT" record ="..............."

Next go to "email Addresses" and verify:
A sender email address
A Bounce email address
(make sure you have these set up. they will receive a verification email)

Then go to "SMTP" settings. Take note of the server name + ports + protocol and then goto "create SMTP . A pop up screen opens up with a suggested username. ignore this.
click on "download creditantials" -- you will need the username and password that pops up here!

When setting up PHPLIST to work with amazon ses you need the following settings:

In your extended config file:
Look for the bounce handling lines circa line 73
Code: Select all
$message_envelope = 'bounces@testing.ie';
$bounce_protocol = 'pop';   
$bounce_mailbox_host = 'mail.testing.ie';  (your bounce email + settings from mail provider)
$bounce_mailbox_user = 'bounces@testing.ie';
$bounce_mailbox_password = 'password';

look for the following lines circa line 550
Code: Select all
define("PHPMAILERHOST",'email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com');

$phpmailer_smtpuser = 'Your user id';   (not the ses.user name that appears 1st, the numerical one)

$phpmailer_smtppassword = 'Password';

define('PHPMAILERPORT',465);
define("PHPMAILER_SECURE",'ssl');
define('SMTP_TIMEOUT',45);

When you log into phplist set the "default from" as the email you verified earlier.
Send a test message to check

If you have issues...and you probably will!

Amazon lists 3 ports (25, 465 and 2465) and the method 'TLS' which is the new 'SSL' try each port with each protocol (tls or ssl) to see which works. (to save yourself headaches here, ask your hosting provider if the ports are open and ask them to check "email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com" is not forbidden.

If you are still having issues, create new credentials and try again....

Does anyone have details of the "postfix" method? maybe a good idea to share here?
dheffernaneire
phpList newbie

Re: Version 3.05 Amazon SES setup

Postby thongta » 4:42am, Wed 18 Dec, 2013

Thanks for the share.

I got a problem with Amazon SES with postfix at http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40108. I have tried your method with port: 587 (of course, I has to set the firewall to open the port: 587) and it works great for me.

On the go, I got some problem with SMTP from Amazon SES because of the illegal content (I used to use Data URI in my message which is not allowed by Amazon SES policy) and the help from SMTP debug was very helpful, take a look:
http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?t=9883#p31923

Hope that information will help some guys, I spent more than a hour for above things.

Best Regards,
T
thongta
PL Nut

Re: Version 3.05 Amazon SES setup

Postby efferatoconiglio » 11:10am, Wed 11 Mar, 2015

hallo! I have configured phplist to work with amazon ses.
The queue is being processing without errors... but I am realizing that it is not actually using Amazon ses but my mail service, because in my SES panel it results I have sent no e-mail. What may it depend on? Thanks in advance!
efferatoconiglio
phpList newbie

Return to Answers, HowTos, Tips and Tricks