Mandrill, Hostgator & phplist

Version 3 Solutions you have discovered or come across should go here. Questions should go in the other three Version 3 forums, thank you.
Forum rules
Please do not ask questions here, this is for Version 3 Solutions you have discovered or come across.

Mandrill, Hostgator & phplist

Postby kpdeegan » 7:45pm, Tue 10 Jun, 2014

I thought this might be useful for somebody else trying to set up Mandrill and phpList on Hostgator. I'm
Firstly, you will need to submit a support ticket to Hostgator and ask them to Whitelist the email you have set up to log into Mandrill. I got phpList working with gmail smtp successfully and then tried Mandrill to find that it would not connect. Hostgator was blocking that email or domain. They were very helpful in whitelisting the emails / domains I asked for help with.

Then I modified config.php to include:

# If you want to use the PHPMailer class from phpmailer.sourceforge.net, set the following
# to 1. If you tend to send out html emails, it is recommended to do so.
define("PHPMAILER",1);
# if you have an SMTP server, set it here. Otherwise it will use the normal php mail() function
define("PHPMAILERHOST",'smtp.mandrillapp.com');
# if you want to use smtp authentication when sending the email uncomment the following
# two lines and set the username and password to be the correct ones
# these are from your SMTP & API Credentials page on:
# https://mandrillapp.com/settings/index
$phpmailer_smtpuser = 'SMTP Username ';
$phpmailer_smtppassword = 'any valid API key';

define('PHPMAILERPORT',587);
define("PHPMAILER_Mailer",'smtp');
define("PHPMAILER_SMTPAuth",true);
define("PHPMAILER_SECURE",'tls');

For another customer the above config did not work, and I tried the following with success:

define('PHPMAILERPORT',465);
define("PHPMAILER_Mailer",'smtp');
define("PHPMAILER_SMTPAuth",true);
define("PHPMAILER_SECURE",'ssl');

This took me hours to get sorted - hope it saves somebody else some frustration :D
kpdeegan
phpList newbie

Re: Mandrill, Hostgator & phplist

Postby victor123 » 9:39pm, Fri 01 Aug, 2014

Hey man,

Thank you so much for posting this. This is exactly what I wanted to do. I thought I was going to have to hack phpList to get this to work with Mandrill. By the way, the second set of configs worked for me. Brilliant!

Thank you!
victor123
phpLister

Return to Answers, HowTos, Tips and Tricks