PHPList integration with CiviCRM ?

Things you'd like to see in phpList

PHPList integration with CiviCRM ?

Postby Denver Dave » 11:33pm, Fri 02 Nov, 2007

I'm looking at PHPList and CiviCRM applications to help manage our database of contacts for an activist issue. We currently have 200 paid members and a thousand contacts, but this will have to increase by one or two orders of magnitude for us to succeed.

CiviCRM has much more extensive contact management roles than PHPList, but I gather that there are issues with their CiviMail that handles emails. I'm just starting to look at CiviMail, but first impression is that I like the email processing features of PHPList better.

I guess we could always to an export / import or write a script to create contacts and lists from the data in CiviCRM and add it to PHPLists, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has been through this and has any insights or conclusions.

Any help and suggestions appreciated or if you know anyone that may have looked at this, I'd appreciate making contact.
Denver Dave
PL Nut

Postby H2B2 » 4:02am, Sat 03 Nov, 2007

It seems the Drupal community have been working on integrating Drupal's mass mailer module (drupal - phplist) with CiviCRM. Not sure how far they got.
See for instance: http://drupal.org/node/52900

You could also take a look at this:
Phplist class - http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?t=5009
A set of functions which provide a simple way to interact with phpList in your own programs (eg: adding a user who just purchased something from your website to a mailing list). It takes a list id, an email address, and optionally some attributes, and subscribes the user to that list. If the user already exists, the existing account will be subscribed. If it's a new user, they'll be added first. Users added in this way are pre-confirmed (they will not be sent a confirmation email).
Ref: http://docs.phplist.com/PhplistHacks
H2B2

Postby Denver Dave » 5:22am, Sat 03 Nov, 2007

Thanks for the leads - I'll study them. Actually, after doing more review the mail functions on CiviMail are quite similar to PHPLists. The functions you referenced could be quite helpful - thanks.

At the moment, I feel overwhelmed by the CiviMail Alternate Configuration - I at least got phplist to send out emails, but at the moment CiviMail seems pretty impossible for someone at my skill level - references to installing additional perl modules, rebuilding php:
http://wiki.civicrm.org/confluence/disp ... oot+access

If anyone has succeeded in either getting CiviCRM to work in a shared hosting environment or integrating phplist with CiviCRM, please let me know.

Thanks.
- - -
Update Nov. 7, 2007
I did, with lots of help, manage to get CiviMail to sendout an email. Now I'm back to considering CiviMail vs phplist and which is better for our situation. I would like to talk to others doing similar evaluations.
Denver Dave
PL Nut

Postby frank011 » 1:49am, Wed 06 Feb, 2008

Denver Dave wrote:Thanks for the leads - I'll study them. Actually, after doing more review the mail functions on CiviMail are quite similar to PHPLists. The functions you referenced could be quite helpful - thanks.

At the moment, I feel overwhelmed by the CiviMail Alternate Configuration - I at least got phplist to send out emails, but at the moment CiviMail seems pretty impossible for someone at my skill level - references to installing additional perl modules, rebuilding php:
http://wiki.civicrm.org/confluence/disp ... oot+access

If anyone has succeeded in either getting CiviCRM to work in a shared hosting environment or integrating phplist with CiviCRM, please let me know.

Thanks.
- - -
Update Nov. 7, 2007
I did, with lots of help, manage to get CiviMail to sendout an email. Now I'm back to considering CiviMail vs phplist and which is better for our situation. I would like to talk to others doing similar evaluations.

-------
After many hours (and days) I gave up with civiMail. Simply could not get the software operating as I wanted it to. I'm exploring phplist and its ability to better what civiMail has to offer.
frank011
phpLister

Postby Denver Dave » 5:08am, Wed 06 Feb, 2008

We are continuing to move ahead with CiviCRM / CiviMail. It is certainly more complex than PHPList, but CiviCRM has features that we want.

We were looking for a contact (constituent) management system that also does bulk emails. We track lots of attributes. Also, the ability to save specifications for the selections is great (CiviCRM calls them groups and tags).

I am giving some thought to using phplist to collect initial online info before we add lots of attributes and then import into CiviCRM. Anyone doing this?
Denver Dave
PL Nut

Re: PHPList integration with CiviCRM ?

Postby Denver Dave » 6:39am, Tue 11 Aug, 2009

Back again today, considering phplist as a front-end to CiviCRM and perhaps a way to deal with temporary lists. If anyone else is doing this or interested, please post.

Thanks.
Denver Dave
PL Nut

Postby prajabian » 12:47am, Tue 24 Nov, 2009

Hi, Im new to this site and would like to know if there is any automated way to use PHPlist to send emails out to my list of emails. I will be supplying the email list and dynamic information (names, phrases, etc) using a SCV file.
I guess what Im looking for is an API to submit email addresses, dynamic information and schedule the campaign. Please advise.
prajabian
phpList newbie

Postby Denver Dave » 3:35am, Tue 24 Nov, 2009

I'm not an expert with phpList, but I think that is the purpose of PHPList and seemed to work very well with my test. However, I did not figure out how to save specific queries so that the sending could be repeated without defining the queries again. I may not have known how to do this with phplist and it might be possible - seems like it should, or perhaps this feature has been added.

The lack of being able to save queries was one of the reasons that I kept looking and ended up with CiviCRM / CiviMail. However, I can see how PHPList would be a better fit for many people if you don't need all of the other CiviCRM stuff.

Dave
Denver Dave
PL Nut

Postby Denver Dave » 7:50pm, Sat 20 Feb, 2010

February 2010. Still impressed with CiviCRM and still sometimes struggle to get CiviMail working. Even after 2 years with CiviCRM and CiviMail, I'm still thinking there may be a place to run PHPList to help CiviCRM, granted, perhaps because of limits with my expertise.

(1) I'm not sure how to protect the CiviCRM stand-alone forms from spammers and hackers and I'm reluctant to give them direct shots at our main database. Perhaps a PHPList front-end that catches new contacts in a temporary file and then we load to CiviCRM as a batch?
http://forum.civicrm.org/index.php/topic,12037.0.html

(2) Sometimes we have access to contact lists that are more prospects than contacts. Might be useful to run phplist to ask if they want on our contact list.

Discussion??

Also, would be nice to know when to run CiviCRM / CiviMail and when better to run PHPList.

Dave
Denver Dave
PL Nut

Postby jsherk » 3:13am, Sat 24 Apr, 2010

As far as spammers go, check out this:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18290&p=67196

and this:
http://issues.civicrm.org/jira/browse/CRM-6132

As far as you saying "I did not figure out how to save specific queries so that the sending could be repeated without defining the queries again", I am a little confused by what you mean... I have setup phpList to automatically mail out new posts that get approved then published on our WordPress blog by modifying the WordPress Post Notification plugin to stick the published post info into the phplist database.

Here is an excerpt of the code I use to stick the post into the phpList database and then it gets sent out automatically. You need to put info into two different tables.. the _MESSAGE table and the _LISTMESSAGE table:
Code: Select all
//Excerpt of mysql inserts required to put info into phplist db
//$db_name = phplist db name
//$table_prefix = phplist table prefix used in db
//$subject = email subject
//$body = email body
//$footer = email footer

//You need to figure out which mailing list you want to send the email out to.
$phplist_id = 1; //Change accordingly: use the ID from the _LIST table

//Set send time (process queue) for almost immediately. Don't forget you will need to cron setup to do it automatically!
$time_adjust = mktime(date('H'),date('i'),date('s'),date('m'),date('d'),date('Y'))-(60*60*6); //Need to adjust time, or phpList won't send for 5 or 6 hours... I think it's based on a WordPress setting, but not exactly sure why this is happening. If no adjustment is made, then time is set to 5 or 6 hours in the future!?!

$timestamp_em = date('Y-m-d H:i:00', $time_adjust); //This is the embargo timestamp, which always seems to be earlier than the regular timestamp, so we set it to :00 seconds

$timestamp = date('Y-m-d H:i:30', $time_adjust); //Do this stamp after embargo stamp, then it will always be later than the embargo timestamp by 30 seconds

//Write info to the phplist _MESSAGE table
$query = "
  INSERT INTO ".$db_name.".".$table_prefix."message
  (subject, fromfield, replyto, message, textmessage, footer, entered, embargo,
  repeatuntil, status, htmlformatted, sendformat, template, owner, rsstemplate)
  VALUES
  ('".$subject."', 'FromName <from@mydomain.com>', ReplyName <reply@mydomain.com>','".$body."', '', '".$footer."',
  '".$timestamp."', '".$timestamp_em."', '".$timestamp."', 'submitted', '1', 'text and HTML', '0', '5', '')";

$write_result1 = mysql_query($query); //Was the write succesful? yes = 1/true

$phpmessage_id = mysql_insert_id(); //Get the messageid from previous write to table

if ($write_result1 == true) {

//Write info to the phplist _LISTMESSAGE table
 $query = "
   INSERT INTO ".$db_name.".".$table_prefix."listmessage
   (messageid, listid, entered)
   VALUES
   ($phpmessage_id, $phplist_id, '".$timestamp."')";

$write_result2 = mysql_query($query);  //Was the write succesful? yes = 1/true

}

Hope that helps!
jsherk
PL Geek

mangement od databease and customers

Postby Alessio1 » 11:32am, Tue 11 Dec, 2012

Denver Dave wrote:Thanks for the leads - I'll study them. Actually, after doing more review the mail functions on CiviMail are quite similar to PHPLists. The functions you referenced could be quite helpful - thanks.

http://wiki.civicrm.org/confluence/display/CRMDOC/Alternative+configuration+-+no+Amavis+or+root+access

Thanks.
- - -
Update Nov. 7, 2007

For email management you can buy any email manager software . for this you can easily handle all the database and your customers also . this software is available at reasonable price at $100 to $150 .
Alessio1
phpList newbie

Return to Feature Requests, Wish-list