Multiple list owners?

Things you'd like to see in phpList

Multiple list owners?

Postby Swaller » 8:19pm, Tue 18 Apr, 2006

Hi all,

I've been trying to find information on this but the search function seems to be broken. If this has been asked and answered elsewhere, please accept my apologies.

In any case, my newslists are managed by 3 people but phplist seems to only allow for one list owner at a time. Is there a way to assign multiple owners to one list?
Swaller
phpList newbie

Postby Totto » 9:48pm, Thu 20 Apr, 2006

It's an option that can be configured at the 'config/config.php' file - find the lines that say
# if you use login, how many lists can be created per administrator
define("MAXLIST",1);

and change the value to what you want.
To all forum users: Search the forums when you got a question first! Your question may have already been asked many times before and also many times answered. The search feature is your best friend on any forums of this kind!
Totto
PL Master

Not true

Postby tiele004 » 6:06pm, Mon 24 Apr, 2006

It's an option that can be configured at the 'config/config.php' file - find the lines that say
Quote:
# if you use login, how many lists can be created per administrator
define("MAXLIST",1);

and change the value to what you want.

This ain't what we looking for.... I'm not that's for sure.

I'd like to have multiple persons to send messages to the same list. I think this is what Swaller means to.
tiele004
phpList newbie

Postby Totto » 7:49pm, Tue 25 Apr, 2006

You're right, my mistake in misunderstanding. But we don't have much options with lists ownership at phpList. Each list may have only 1 owner and each administrator may 'own' some lists, so have access to them, or have access to all lists - just these 2 possibilities (access to owned lists or access to all).
To all forum users: Search the forums when you got a question first! Your question may have already been asked many times before and also many times answered. The search feature is your best friend on any forums of this kind!
Totto
PL Master

Work around

Postby tiele004 » 6:41pm, Fri 28 Apr, 2006

Does somebody have an idea to work around this problem?

Thanks in advance....
tiele004
phpList newbie

Re: multiple owner

Postby hlist » 8:45pm, Fri 28 Apr, 2006

As I understand, if you don't mind the multiple person have access to all the lists, then you can create multiple accounts and go to 'access privilege', set 'list-list' to 'ALL' and 'message-send' to 'ALL', all else to 'None'. Then the accounts can send msg to all the lists, regardless of the ownerships.

But the problem is, the accounts also have the privilege to delete the all the lists, even the 'editlist' is set to 'none'. This doesn't make sense to me. Could anybody give a way to disable the 'delete' privilege?
hlist
phpList newbie

Postby clmiller » 12:23pm, Tue 03 Apr, 2007

Just wondering if this might be a feature of future releases. I too have a list which I want multiple "owners" but i do not want them to be superusers.

I like the program, A LOT!
clmiller
phpList newbie

Postby crazydaddy » 12:40am, Tue 11 Sep, 2007

Noticed a post on this back in 2005, with a potential solution from developers. This would add the group concept and permissions could be granted to groups, e.g. list owned by a group. Obviously it hasn't happened. Pity because we really do need this functionality.
Cheers.
crazydaddy
phpList newbie

Re: Multiple list owners?

Postby nymisoa » 3:18pm, Tue 28 Jul, 2009

I resubmitted this feature request on mantis. It was closed due to aging.
nymisoa
PL Nut

Postby crazydaddy » 7:27pm, Tue 28 Jul, 2009

Thanks nymisoa, it seems like such an obvious requirement. I guess most users simply share list administrator credentials, which to us defeats the security advantage of using phplist over mailman. Unfortunately it seems as though development of phplist has almost ground to a halt, or at least no significant functionality improvements.
crazydaddy
phpList newbie

Postby cwg » 2:15am, Wed 09 Dec, 2009

I had a similar need, and after reading this thread I did the following:

1. in a superuser account, create a new lists, owned by the user who will be doing sending.
2. View members on my copy of the lists, and use the 'copy all members' function to populate the other user's list.
3. Tell the user about it.

This is pretty easy, but if you have lots of users and lots of lists it could be a drag. Also, there are potential synchronization problems any time you have more than one copy of something. Since it's just me, the geek, and one user, the newbie, I figure I'll do all list maintenance, so my list is the master copy but his is the live one.

Hope this helps someone. The definition of the problem, as provided in this thread, let me know what to do.
cwg
phpList newbie

Postby dirkc » 8:07am, Sat 19 Nov, 2011

Even though this is an old topic it seems that there are some superusers like me who would like to have several people beeing able sending to one list without giving them superuser rights and without giving them the right to send to all lists.

I guess most people tried to use of the both last options but it would be great to have this as a future feature available.

Is this possible to get into future releases?

Thanks.
Dirk
dirkc
PL Nut

Postby mrmckoy » 8:18am, Fri 01 Feb, 2013

Would be nice if this moved forward. I'd rather have multiple admin logins rather than give one admin password out to so many. That could be abused one day. Worse yet would be to make others superadmins which gives them access to all lists.

Plus, I do have a real need for some admins to share lists. This would be an awesome enhancement to productivity.
mrmckoy
PL Master

Postby leelondon » 9:21am, Sun 05 May, 2013

Possible feature posted in the following forum thread:

viewtopic.php?p=48926#48926 [^]

"We have multiple admins looking after multiple lists but only wanted each list owner to be able to process their own queue and not the whole queue as is the default for the system.

The answer lies in processqueue.php
You need to make the following modifications to line 326

Change
Code:
$messages = Sql_query("select id,userselection,rsstemplate,subject from ".$tables["message"]." where status != \"draft\" and status != \"sent\" and status != \"prepared\" and status != \"suspended\" and embargo < now() order by entered");

to read
Code:

# This is for the Super User to send absolutely anything
$messages = Sql_query("select id,userselection,rsstemplate,subject from ".$tables["message"]." where status != \"draft\" and status != \"sent\" and status != \"prepared\" and status != \"suspended\" and embargo < now() order by entered");

if (!isSuperUser()) {
$messages = Sql_query("select id,userselection,rsstemplate,subject from ".$tables["message"]." where status != \"draft\" and status != \"sent\" and status != \"prepared\" and status != \"suspended\" and embargo < now() and owner = ". $_SESSION["logindetails"]["id"] ." order by entered");
} :?
leelondon
phpList newbie

Return to Feature Requests, Wish-list