how do i import emails - what field delimeter is a square

Start here! No need to ask twice :)

how do i import emails - what field delimeter is a square

Postby pws » 3:04am, Sat 27 Sep, 2003

i am trying to impor email from a text file that display them like a database (i think)
there is a little squere before each email

Thanks
pws
phpList newbie

Postby michiel » 1:18pm, Sun 28 Sep, 2003

the square is probably a TAB that cannot be displayed by notepad. Try opening it in Wordpad, but make sure to save it as plain text.
michiel
Admin

Postby rois » 7:53am, Mon 19 Apr, 2004

If my attribute is only name and post code. Can I just have the email address on .txt file and then import that? The reason I asked is that I've not got the list of emails yet, but my guess is that it will be in a word or excel doc. So if I can import it from like a .txt file, I would cut and paste the emails to a notepad/wordpad then use that file to import.
rois
phpList newbie

Postby pdbrett » 9:51am, Mon 19 Apr, 2004

Best is to get your list in Excel format. Make sure the columns are labelled - the column for email addresses must be called "email" and nothing else.

Then "save as" a tab de-limited file with a .txt extension. Then import that .txt file into PHPlist.
Paul Brett
pdbrett
PL Geek

Postby shopnz » 10:02pm, Sat 05 Jun, 2004

I have just used the excel spreadsheet method to create a tab delimited file and used the column names as suggested , i.e. email etc and awhen i import the file into phplist the fisrt line also becomes an email address
eg, email becomes a user called email.

yes the email addresses also got added ok

What am I missing here please, is this what should be happening ?

regards
Paul
shopnz
phpLister

Postby shopnz » 4:18am, Sun 06 Jun, 2004

What a pain the import turned out to be.
I eventaully got my 600 users added with some trial and error but also some hacking the database.

Admins,
I think you should have a template spreadsheet file for people to try out.

I resorted to importing a comma delimited file made in Excel but even that didnt get the country valuse set correctly. So I put in a number eg. 164 for New Zealand and imported... then I hada new country added called 164,
Thats when I downloaded the sql file from myadmin and hacked the new number id created for 164 country and all is sweet now.

I love the app though just the importing feature I would like to see some work on to make it more self explainatory and an example maybe.

I have a few more sites to install it on and dont really look forward to the adding of all the emails etc

Cheers
Paul
shopnz
phpLister

Import problem

Postby zirius » 2:59am, Mon 27 Sep, 2004

I am trying to import 2000 names from a list following your instructions above, but continue at each import attempt to get the message:

Fatal Error: Some characters that are not valid have been found. These might be delimiters. Please check the file and select the right delimiter. ,

The list is in a .txt file saved from an Excel spreadsheet as a tab delimited file.

The columns are labeled according to the attribute field where they should be placed, and the names contain no spaces.

Can you help me figure out what is going on? Does the order of the fields make a difference?
zirius
phpList newbie

import cap

Postby wazoo » 6:13pm, Fri 15 Oct, 2004

is there a way to import more than 7500 emails at once, because its quite a pain to split up my lists into 7500 email blocks. i thought about just hacking the import code apart into my own script but that proved to be more work than it was worth. any help would be usefull.
wazoo
phpList newbie

Postby Luigi » 1:33am, Sat 23 Oct, 2004

Hi:

This is what i did an it worked for me....(i´m using 2.9.1)

* have your database in regular exel format, make sure in the first line on each square (cell) is the title of the field ( email, name, city...and so on..)

* order in the name colums is not important..

* do not save it as cvs format, save it as Text tab delimited

* in your control panel go to manage users > import email

* use the first option the give you: import emails with different values for attributes

* select the text file to import, you can check the Test output box to see the results before you import the file.

* do not check this boxes it´s not necesary
Field Delimiter: (default is TAB)
Record Delimiter: (default is line break)

* you can check either one of this boxes, acording to your needs
Send Notification email
Make confirmed immediately

* hit the import buttom and

* if you are satisfied with the output , go on and hit confirm Import to upload the file

* make sure the name fields on your text file (first line) correspond to the names found on the attributes page,if not no problem, if the system can´t match the fields automatically it will give you the chance to do it manually.

It should work with this procedure

Make sure your text files are small no more than 500 mails in one file.(pain in the kneck) depending on your server capability..
or you might have this error that can freeze you list system
Database error 1226 User 'website_user' has exceeded the 'max_questions' resource (current value: 50000)
if you run into this problem, don´t worry i have the pill for that too. :lol:

I hope it helps
Luigi
Luigi
PL Nut

De-duping

Postby johnny » 4:57am, Fri 03 Dec, 2004

HI
I want to import a new list and merge it with an existing one. Is there any to remove duplicate email addresses?
johnny
phpList newbie

Postby michiel » 9:44am, Fri 03 Dec, 2004

phplist will never duplicate an email in the system
michiel
Admin

import list

Postby johnny » 3:21pm, Fri 03 Dec, 2004

So, if I import a new list and it contains emails that already exist, the system removes (or doesn't save) the duplicate email address?
johnny
phpList newbie

Postby michiel » 3:54pm, Fri 03 Dec, 2004

that depends on what you specify when you do the import
michiel
Admin

Postby johnny » 4:45pm, Fri 03 Dec, 2004

michiel wrote:that depends on what you specify when you do the import

What should I specify to make sure it does that? :)
johnny
phpList newbie

Be careful; Excel misbehaves

Postby Pete F. » 1:11pm, Thu 06 Jan, 2005

When exporting to a tab delimited text file from Excel, be aware that Excel can dump extra tab characters - seemingly at random - at the end of each line before the return carriage (in the exported text file).

You'll need to remove them yourself - post-Excel export, pre-PHPlist import - otherwise the Import function in PHPlist will fail with errors.

I've had a quick look at my source spreadsheet in Excel to see if there's anything causing these extra tab characters to appear, but there doesn't appear to be... :roll:
Pete F.
phpLister

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions