Why do I have to login on every admin page I try load?

Start here! No need to ask twice :)

Why do I have to login on every admin page I try load?

Postby H2B2 » 3:01pm, Sat 24 Oct, 2009

Why does phpList ask me to login for every admin page I try to load?

• This generally indicates that something is wrong with session handling in your PHP configuration. Check your php.ini file and make sure you have this setting is set: session.use_cookies = 1, and/or ask your ISP to make sure sessions are enabled in your PHP configuration and are stored correctly.
  • The temporary directory on your server doesn't have read/write permissions. Please make sure that it does have read/write permissions.
  • The temporary directory has filled up with temporary files, and phpList is unable to write to it. You can fix this by cleaning up your temp dir.
  • You are connecting through multiple proxies and this means that your IP address isn't the same for every page request. (AOL is an example of an ISP that connects in this way.) You can solve this in config.php, by setting define("CHECK_SESSIONIP",0);
  • Alternatively, you can store sessions in the database instead of the default place by assigning a table name to this value. Enable this setting in config.php: $SessionTableName = "phplistsessions"; by uncommenting (remove the preceding # symbol) this line. The table will be created and will not use any prefixes. This only works when using mySQL and only for administrator sessions.
ref: http://docs.phplist.com/PhplistFAQ
H2B2

Re: Why do I have to login on every admin page I try load?

Postby anthony58 » 6:48am, Tue 01 May, 2012

I've seen references to slow page serving and slow admin pages. The solutions seem to involve both setting the caching parameters correctly, and getting the hosting service to configure things properly, particularly with the database.

Is it normal for a new site to take 2 or 3 minutes to load every admin page? And to take 30 or 40 seconds to load a simple home page?
anthony58
phpList newbie

Postby princessjulia » 1:00pm, Sat 02 Jun, 2012

Loading admin page in 2 or 3 minutes is too much it is not good way if your admin pages are taking too much time , according to google rules they will not like pages that will take look time and may be it could be your hosting problem ?? or may be some configuration issues , also for homepage i always prefer 10 - 20 seconds that could be best.

Thanks
princessjulia
phpList newbie

Postby karmakrif » 9:16am, Thu 12 Jul, 2012

May be that page be designed like that.
karmakrif
phpList newbie

Postby sampei » 7:53am, Sun 02 Jun, 2013

[quote="H2B2"]
This generally indicates that something is wrong with session handling in your PHP configuration. Check your php.ini file and make sure you have this setting is set: session.use_cookies = 1, and/or ask your ISP to make sure sessions are enabled in your PHP configuration and are stored correctly.[/quote]

I got my web space from a hosting company ... I believe I don't have access to php.ini but this is confusing me. Do I have to contact my ISP or my hosting provider? I thought my ISP were the company that provides me with Internet access ... in my case it is not the same company as the one that provides me web space ....

Return to Frequently Asked Questions