500 Server Error

Start here! No need to ask twice :)

500 Server Error

Postby michiel » 8:54pm, Tue 13 Sep, 2005

If you get a "500 Server Error" when installing, it is most likely caused by the .htaccess file that you find in the "lists" directory.

in /lists/.htaccess

Find
Code: Select all
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc on

and delete the line
michiel
Admin

Postby curiouz » 6:48pm, Sat 05 Nov, 2005

I get the same error message.

The error log says the following: /public_html/lists/.htaccess: Invalid command 'php_flag', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

edit: put a # in front of "php_flag magic_quotes_gpc on" and it worx like a charm!
curiouz
phpList newbie

500 Internal Server Error

Postby smsfansite » 11:23pm, Thu 24 Aug, 2006

The problem has been solved! I was looking at the wrong .htaccess :oops: Just had to delete the "flag-line"...

I've just installed phplist on my server and when i try to run lists/admin the server answers with:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, support@domain.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

When I check the .htaccess file it only says:
Order allow,deny
deny from all

I've check all the settings twice (and maybe even a third time), but I can't find any errors. Is there someone out there who can help me solve this problem, because from the looks of it it's a wonderfull script and I really want to use it!!
smsfansite
phpList newbie

Postby Brian121 » 5:49am, Mon 29 Jan, 2007

I have 1 problem, I cannot connect to the mysql server using php, it's giving me the error noted in the subject line. The error says the function is undefined but I assume it is in the .dll file that the php.ini file loads(php5apache2.dll for php to work on apache and php_mysql.dll loaded as an extension for php to talk to mysql). Everything loads fine, I don't get any errors when starting up apache, the phpinfo() page works perfectly, but it juts won't talk to mysql server. If any one know any thing on this then please help me. I will apprecieate your any help.
Brian121
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 11:28pm, Thu 15 Mar, 2007

Brian121 wrote:The error says the function is undefined but I assume it is in the .dll file that the php.ini file loads(php5apache2.dll for php to work on apache and php_mysql.dll loaded as an extension for php to talk to mysql).
This seems to be an issue related to your specific server setup. From the looks of it you are using a windows based system (local?). You'd best provide some system details.
H2B2

500 errors

Postby weweje$ » 10:53am, Fri 16 Mar, 2007

Hello.
I've fixed that issue creating vis ftp a 'sessions' rep in the root dir.
Some hosting are forbidding that creating via php, and server throws error 500 in place of php error
...not easy to debug.

hope that helps
weweje$
phpList newbie

Postby grooveguru » 2:27pm, Thu 19 Apr, 2007

And this ios what I got from my provider:

This is caused by a .htaccess file that is incorrect, and you will need to remove or fix this file your website will work. More detailed information on the errors caused can be found in the logfiles folder on the root of your hosting.

Please note: .htaccess can only be used for controlling mod_rewrite or when used for password protection with .htpaswd. More information on using mod_rewrite can be found here:

http://www.streamlinesupport.net/index. ... how&id=130

what do I do?
grooveguru
phpLister

500 server error

Postby dinah » 5:43am, Thu 05 Jul, 2007

for me this error was caused by incorrect URLs. In the config file, either the domain is wrong, or the 5 URLs in the config are wrong (e.g. subscribe page). Mine were skipping a sub-directory. All fixed now.
dinah
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 12:49am, Mon 20 Aug, 2007

If you get an error message, also check the troubleshooting documentation ( http://docs.phplist.com/PhplistTroubleshooting ) and the FAQs ( http://docs.phplist.com/PhplistFAQ ).

If that doesn't help try searching the forum for the error message you are getting. I recommend using google by entering a search string this way for instance: site:phplist.com error 500
H2B2

Error 500 caused by incorrect permissions

Postby H2B2 » 9:02pm, Sun 09 Sep, 2007

If you are on a shared server, your host may not allow the execution of PHP files if these files and/or directories are set to world-write access, e.g. if they are set to 777 or 666. Trying to run php files under these conditions would also generate a 500 error.
Ref: viewtopic.php?p=36491#36491

Fix: Check with your host what the correct permissions should be.
H2B2

500 error, none solution inthis forum works

Postby gabimazz » 8:09am, Thu 11 Oct, 2007

Hi,

I'm new to PhpList. I get the 500 Internal server error message when I try to go to /newsletter/admin

My server error log says:

[Thu Oct 11 09:37:33 2007] [alert] [client 62.101.126.214] /web/htdocs/www.logalab.it/home/newsletter/.htaccess: DirectoryIndex not allowed here

My .htaccess is:

DirectoryIndex index.php

<FilesMatch>
Order allow,deny
deny from all
</FilesMatch>
<FilesMatch>
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</FilesMatch>

as I've deleted the line:

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc on

Server Settings

* Operating System : Linux
* Server : Apache/2.0
* Memory usage : 8.26 MByte
* MYSQL Version : 5.0.45-community-log
* SQL Mode : Not set
* PHP Version : 4.4.7
* PHP Safe Mode : Off
* PHP Allow URL fopen : On
* PHP Memory Limit : 12M
* PHP Max Upload Size : 50M
* PHP Max Post Size : 8M
* PHP Max Script Execute Time : 120s

Permission are:

755 on all directories
644 on all files

Of course I've changes config.php in:

# if you change the path to the PHPlist system, make the change here as well
# path should be relative to the root directory of your webserver (document root)
# you cannot actually change the "admin", but you can change the "lists"
$pageroot = '/newsletter';
$adminpages = '/newsletter/admin';

What shall I do?

Thanks
gabi
gabimazz
phpList newbie

Re: 500 error, none solution inthis forum works

Postby H2B2 » 3:32pm, Thu 11 Oct, 2007

gabimazz wrote:
[Thu Oct 11 09:37:33 2007] [alert] [client 62.101.126.214] /web/htdocs/www.logalab.it/home/newsletter/.htaccess: DirectoryIndex not allowed here

Apparently your host doesn't allow certain directives in .htaccess, so I guess you would need to contact them and ask them to change the DirectoryIndex setting of your Apache configuration to index.php index.html (in that order).
H2B2

Postby gabimazz » 6:19pm, Thu 11 Oct, 2007

Many thanks. I will do it.

gabi
gabimazz
phpList newbie

internal server error from 2.10.4 to 2.10.5

Postby GioMBG » 3:39pm, Sat 13 Oct, 2007

Hi All!
For me is a bug of new release of phplist that don't want consider somethink like in the old phplist version because if i switch in the same server partition I can see the version 2.10.4 that Go GOOD!
but the new version 2.10.5 do the internal server error. WAY? :(
So: If the old version go and the new no
Any Suggestion?
Respect
GioMBG
GioMBG
phpLister

Re: internal server error from 2.10.4 to 2.10.5

Postby H2B2 » 4:06pm, Sun 14 Oct, 2007

Just a reminder:
michiel wrote:please try to be precise when asking a question. Your situation can be quite different from someone elses, so in order to actually get a reply to your question, it will be useful to explain a few things, when you encounter a problem with PHPlist.

- what version of PHPlist have you installed?
- what version of PHP do you use?
- do you have your own server, or are you in a shared hosting environment?
- What Operating System (type and version) do you run

- What are you exactly trying to achieve?
- What page are you on (look at ?page=something) in the URL bar
- What did you do?
- What happened?
- What did you expect to happen?

And anything else you may think off that may help others to understand your situation, and possibly have a suggestion how to fix it.

Also, you may want to check a few things before posting a question:

- did the files upload correctly? Maybe the FTP transfer was cut off half way.
- did you double check your config file. It's quite a long file, so maybe you've overlooked something.
Ref: http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?p=1994#1994

GioMBG wrote:Any Suggestion?
Besides providing some more details that might help other users help you, did you check the the suggested change to the .htaccess file as mentioned somewhere at the beginning of this thread, and in the troubleshooting documentation?
H2B2

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions